Are Peltiers worth it?

deadg3cko

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I'm a WC noob and would like to know if peltier/water cooling is worth it. I already have water cooling on my CPU and I am wondering if Peltiers should be used to chill the water or the component itself? Is a peltier/water cooling setup too expensive, electric bill wise?

deadg3cko

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I currently have a Water Cooling setup on my rig. I get great temps, even OC'd to 4.8ghz on my i3. My temps never go above 40C under load. But i want to push it farther. Not to the point of Phase change though, but a little better that WC.

I just wanted to know if Peltiers would work and if they wouldn't be expensive. Thanks!

I don't trust the peltier setup. I had an Ultra TEC cooler for a while and when I went to sell my mobo/cpu/cooler on ebay I dismantled my system and found the connector going to the controller literally melted.

After several emails and finally making a statement to Ultra "I'm uncomfortable using a product that will likely burn my house down while I'm away", they decided to honor a warranty replacement and I sold it on ebay.

I had a separate peltier device with the idea to build my own and it stopped working. That wouldn't be a good thing unless you have your system setup to shut down at a certain temp.

I know they work in certain applications but for me I don't trust them enough and I never saw a real temp difference with the Ultra setup to risk a house fire.

Stick with a high end air cooler or a H50/H70 or something comparable...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most people don't run TEC anymore; it's either watercooling only, or they run a compressor/phase change unit.

Better off with a chiller in your loop than a TEC.

And no, you can't simply buy a mini-fridge and stick stuff in there...or even your big freezer.