A bit Help selecting motherboard and PSU

steevo

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Quad Core CPU 2.6 GHZ (AM2+)
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512MB
4GB Corsair XMS2 1066MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Al I need to select now is a uitable motherboard and case/Power supply as I have all the rest.

I notice that alot of cases dont include power supplys, and CCL have a range of
beefy seperate supply, I think I need a good power but not sure if should opt for buying a case
and a seperate supply which will cost a fair bit more and if all the seperate supply
will fit into the case I want. How do I select the case and Supply combination that will fit
together.

Or do I buy a case with a supply built in, there arent many of these with beefy powers supplies (550 watts)

Do I buy an ATX board or a MicroATX board?.

Not sure what to select and which is best.

Any body help with a bit of advice.
Thanks
Steevo

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
1) drop the 9950 for a 720 BE, surprisingly it performs better than the 9950 in quad core based apps even though it only has 3 cores.

2)what is this PC for? I'm guessing it's not gaming cos that GPU is terrible, the integrated graphics do just as well in HD video.

3) You want a PSU made by corsair, silverstone, silverpower or PCP&C. even a 400w made by any of those will power your specs but with a 720, or if there are any antec combo's then they will do.

4) Since your not gaming I guess, a uATX board will do, ASUS's line has displayport out so they might be the best idea.

5) are you looking at CCL because they offer to build it for you for £60? if you aren't then Scan.co.uk will be a lot cheaper.

curryj02

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
I think his point was that he already has the CPU, GFX, and RAM... So you are stuck with them (even though I would also have gone for the 720 over the 9950).

Assuming that you are going to be using this for moderate gaming and not planning to overclock I would suggest:
- Go for Asus or Gigabyte motherboard based on 780G chipset. Its got good price/performance and is compatible with your CPU/RAM.
- As for PSU/case, I think there are some pretty good case and PSU combo's out there from people like coolermaster, thermaltake, antec etc. Just make sure you get a 400W + psu with them. It wouldn't even hurt (if you might think about a second GPU, new CPU or new HDD's later down the track) to go for a 550w if you can afford it. Then again I'm normally pretty conservative when it comes to power supplies...

steevo

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Its not going to be for gaming specifically, general activities, playing/copying blu ray films, i'l buy a blu ray writer later on
down the line. I may play the odd game with it.
I'm suprised about X3 being faster than the 9950 X4, how does that work, so an quivalent GHZ X3 is faster than X4?.

steevo

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

which GPU do you recomand then.

steevo

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

No i'm gona build it myself with a freinds help and save myself 60 quid.