Sign in with
Your question

Formatting and the slave drive

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2010 4:59:52 AM

This is a noobish question, but I just wanted to make sure before going ahead and formatting my master drive.

The data in my slave drive will be retained and readily accessible after i format and reinstall vista on my master drive, correct?

Some random internet threads were making me worry although I'm pretty sure the slave drive wont be affected

by the formatting of the master drive. Speaking of two physical drives of course.

Thanks!

More about : formatting slave drive

a c 415 G Storage
December 21, 2010 6:02:24 AM

There shouldn't be any problems, but for complete peace of mind during the installation you could just disconnect the drive that has the data you want to keep.
m
l
December 21, 2010 6:22:54 AM

alright, will do that.
thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a c 869 G Storage
December 21, 2010 11:57:59 PM

sminlal said:
There shouldn't be any problems, but for complete peace of mind during the installation you could just disconnect the drive that has the data you want to keep.

that won't work unless he rejumpers the master from its current 'master- slave present' to 'single' mode and then back again once he's done.

No the slave drive will not be affected by formating the master unless they are in a raid coiguration.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
December 22, 2010 3:52:16 AM

popatim said:
that won't work unless he rejumpers the master from its current 'master- slave present' to 'single' mode and then back again once he's done.
That's true if they're IDE drives. But I've seen a lot of people mistakenly use the terms "master" and "slave" to refer to SATA drives, using "master" for the OS drive. If these are SATA drives then no jumper changes are necessary.
m
l
!