After-market Cooler on 4890..

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Am thinking of buying an ATI 4890.. probably the cheapest one around.. (ASUS assuming i can remove the HFS) and replacing the HFS with an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo HFS..

now my question is... will it be able to OC to 1GHz, like the factory OCed ones which will be released by Sapphire? or is it the non-reference board and the extra juice from the PSU that makes Sapphire able to push it to 1Ghz?

Thnx alot

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
ahh right.. so any OCing i get would be independant on the cooler i got right?

cud check how far it can go.. if it reaches 1Ghz, then apparently more heat => better get after-market cooler.. or else just stick with the stock one?

any ideas how far they can go 'on average' ?

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Not the cooler but the card itself. Some cards tend to overclock higher then others. I would get a non overclocked card overclock it to its max and turn fan up to 100% to see its max overclock potential. Its possible it could hit 1gh or fall short around 950mhz. At 100% on the fan i dont think heat would be an issue, so it would be the cards fault. If you have your heart set on 1ghz i would just buy the overclocked card even though the performance will be very similar.

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
to be honest i dont want to splash out the extra 40 quid for an OCed card.. 40 UK pounds that is.. (and even more)..

so any OC i can squeeze out of it I would be happy and save some money too..

probably going for the Sapphire one, as its the cheapest one around there..

Yeah, heat is a factor, but the chips themselves vary a lot. For example, my 4850 doesn't even reach 60C any more (so quite cool), but for whatever reason it becomes slightly unstable if I OC it much at all.

ombadboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
cool.. am going for the arctic cooling accelero twin turbo one (gonna use 3 slots, but what the hell), and not planning on CFing it, since DX11 cards are coming out soon, and id rather for for one of those, than buying an extra DX10 card and CFing it..

Yeah, that is a bit nicer cooler I think (which you need since the 4890 uses more power). Be sure though that the power circuitry is cooler sufficiently, as some aftermarket coolers miss that. I had to cut down a little aluminum heatsink and mount it to mine.