Corsair H70 good enough for OC 2600K beyond 4.5GHZ?

Hi,

I currently am waiting for the FIXED SB to come out in a month with the new MB's. I'm planning on OC hopefully to 5.0GHZ...:D

Will my H70 Corsair be enough for the job?

Thanks!
48 answers Last reply
More about corsair good 2600k 5ghz
  1. I don't really have an answer, but is the 2600k awesome? Is it really worth the price?
    Sorry, not trying to steal your thread.
  2. Assuming you get lucky with the right chip, the H70 is more than enough.

    A quote from an ASUS technical specialist regarding the K CPUs:
    "1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
    2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
    3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)"

    Every K CPU has a "multiplier wall" that they will not go beyond no matter how much cooling or voltage you apply. My 2500K maxes out at 48x multiplier. So don't count on getting any certain speed out of an overclock.
  3. deadg3cko said:
    I don't really have an answer, but is the 2600k awesome? Is it really worth the price?
    Sorry, not trying to steal your thread.

    It's awesome if you run professional programs like Photoshop and others that take full advantage of Hyperthreading. If you're a gamer, 2500K is enough. Both 2500K and 2600K beat out all the competition except for 980X and 990X on some apps.
  4. Leaps-from-Shadows said:
    Assuming you get lucky with the right chip, the H70 is more than enough.

    A quote from an ASUS technical specialist regarding the K CPUs:
    "1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
    2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
    3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)"

    Every K CPU has a "multiplier wall" that they will not go beyond no matter how much cooling or voltage you apply. My 2500K maxes out at 48x multiplier. So don't count on getting any certain speed out of an overclock.


    Interestiing quote.^

    If your interest is gaming, then 4.0 is about as fast as you need to go. You can turn off hyperthreading. SInce you already have a H70, go ahead and use it, but a good air cooler in a good case will do as well.

    The sandys are shockingly fast, more than the Ghz would indicate.
  5. ^ agreed sandys are a new gen of overcloacking performance
  6. Quote:
    I've hit 5.2Ghz with my 2600K and a H70



    :D
  7. Jeteroll said:
    ^ agreed sandys are a new gen of overcloacking performance



    I should literally stick to the newer technology then right? Assuming LG1366 will be out soon?
  8. Basically I don't want to crash and burn the CPU. I made sure of that with the case and liquid cooling. The only problem was that I needed to figure out if it will run too hot the CPU for the H70.
  9. I would think that an H70 would prevent an overheat, considering that I have a homemade water cooling loop that is probably nowhere near an H70. This loop that i have made keeps my i3 OC'd to 4.8(in my signature) cool, at 15c idle and 30c max.
  10. Quote:
    I've hit 5.2Ghz with my 2600K and a H70


    ... WOW! 5.2Ghz :o

    I have only gone to 5 Ghz on my 1156 i3, wow now you got me wanting to upgrade to Sandy Bridge. :D
  11. deadg3cko said:
    I would think that an H70 would prevent an overheat, considering that I have a homemade water cooling loop that is probably nowhere near an H70. This loop that i have made keeps my i3 OC'd to 4.8(in my signature) cool, at 15c idle and 30c max.



    My case has 5 fans and they're pretty fast. I think that should be enough...

    :D
  12. jorgeireyes said:
    Basically I don't want to crash and burn the CPU. I made sure of that with the case and liquid cooling. The only problem was that I needed to figure out if it will run too hot the CPU for the H70.


    The cpu will throttle itself to prevent damage from overheating. No worries there.

    If you do not play with voltages, no harm will come with a good OC.

    Also, lga 1366 has been out for two years.
  13. Guru3D easily did 4.6 on the stock cooler.

    Before grabbing an H70 tho, this would be a good read:

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62
  14. H70 is beast but i read it's actually better having the H70 fan as an exhaust instead of it intaking from the back...People that have it intaking from the back is getting like 2c better in temps but the rest of your components are hotter then if you switch it to exhaust...

    Here are the temps from exhaust to intake on a H70 and other products...

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/35225-corsair-hydro-h70-cpu-cooler-review-10.html
  15. i would assume so because i have a i7 930 with the hydro 50 and have max temps at 64c with intel burn test after 5 passes on very high 2.8 OCED to 3.8... however the only downside to your processor is the ram limitation ... dual channel not tri channel like you get with 1366 i7
  16. JackNaylorPE said:
    Guru3D easily did 4.6 on the stock cooler.

    Before grabbing an H70 tho, this would be a good read:

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62



    Thanks!
  17. Quote:
    H70 is beast


    Compared to what? The stock cooler? Even then, I really don't agree. You can get better performance from good air coolers costing less money. H70 is mediocre at best in almost all applications.
  18. rubix_1011 have you actually use the hydro 70 ? heres what i will say, i was using the Cooler Master Hyper N-520 on an i7 1366 and was able to go from 2.66 to 3.5 on air cooling.. Adding the Hydro 50 i was only able to take it to 4.0 so far and could probably push it 4.2 but it would be hot .... Realistically thats not a drastic up in over clock going from spending 40 bucks to 80.... Now just keep in mind, it is a good cooler, there is no doubting that.
  19. The H70 is a 'decent' cooler...

    Overclocking rarely has to do with heat as it does with user error. Most of the time when people think they are encountering a thermal ceiling, it has to do with the following:

    1) voltages are incorrect or too high
    2) RAM limitations
    3) unstable PSU
    4) motherboard not able to control power (part of #3)

    What's the point of spending $100+ on something that performs the same as something that costs $50? For the $110 or so the H70 runs, you can drop another $20 and go to real, big-boy watercooling with the Rasa.
  20. Rubix the only issue i ever encounter is heat.... Never anything else.... lol but yeah what your saying is about right ..... But there needs to be some specific guides on here for noob overclockers and for the newer intel processors
  21. The intended design of the new Intel chips is that they would 'ramp up' to speed when needed; somewhat like the reverse of throttling down. Plus, they are incredibly powerful when compared to the earlier i-series and even more so than the older Core chips. I get that overclocking is fun and its something to do to increase performance, but Intel made some changes to how the current-gen chips work, and it's not as straight-forward to OC them like CPU's before.
  22. yes right on thats why people should throw together some very detailed guides with photos of how to do it ...
  23. Tom's is kind of like the Radio Shack of forums...a little bit of everything...no real expertise in any one area. For instance, I am one of maybe a handful of people on here that give watercooling advice; from experience to concepts...not many folks around here know much about it. I am on other forums in which watercooling is the prime focus by everyone. I just try to give some information here since so many people roll through Tom's looking for info.
  24. yep i was curious about water cooling i will have to check out that forum as well
  25. Let me know...there is a ton of wrong information that get's posted around here. It's almost a full-time job trying to stop that madness.
  26. lol wel i am just really curious whats involved in doing and what i would need to buy and what not. The Hydro 50 is the closest thing to liquid cooling i have ever done so...
  27. The performance of the H50/H70 is laughable compared to a true watercooled loop.
  28. yes ... but 4.0 is decent and why would u need to go much higher then that ?
  29. rollaballinc said:
    yes ... but 4.0 is decent and why would u need to go much higher then that ?



    ??? Why indeed go to 5ghz when you can stop at 4!
  30. lol We're overclockers ... we deliberately shorten the service life of various components in our systems just to say we got to xxx speed. It doesn't have to make sense for us to do it.
  31. rubix_1011 said:
    The performance of the H50/H70 is laughable compared to a true watercooled loop.



    Yes but you get decent performance with total cost of 90.00. Average decent waterloop is couple hundred.
  32. XSPC Rasa is $130 for a CPU only loop, which will give you about 20C lower temps...which is getting into 'excellent' performance for +$40 of your 'decent' performance. If you are dropping $90 for 'decent', wouldn't you consider $130 for 'excellent'?

    Your call.
  33. yeah but taking it to 5.0 is going to make the processor hotter and make it run slower unless youre able to get it really cool or normal temps ... with hydro 70 i would say youre gunna get 4.0 to 4.2 not 5.0
  34. The Sandy Bridge chips don't overclock like the Core's do...I hope people realize this.

    It takes a lot more skill to get it where you 'want' it to go. And not all hardware responds the same to overclocking...Joe Bob might hit a certain speed with a chip, but that doesn't mean you will, too. It's all in what hardware you run, and a lot of luck on the quality of all it working together.
  35. rollaballinc said:
    yeah but taking it to 5.0 is going to make the processor hotter and make it run slower unless youre able to get it really cool or normal temps ... with hydro 70 i would say youre gunna get 4.0 to 4.2 not 5.0



    Duuuurrrrr? 5ghz is slower than 4ghz because it makes the processor hotter? 4.2 on a H70? Get 4.2 with stock pretty much with Sandy Bridge.

    Bad info like that is bad for the site as a whole. Please do not post things you obviously do not understand or have any knowledge of.
  36. ^I agree. Tom's forums are much like the Radio Shack of information...there is a lot of generalized stuff that the average person might find useful at some point in time, but don't expect to find real experts on something specific you might want to learn about.
  37. rubix_1011 said:
    The H70 is a 'decent' cooler...

    Overclocking rarely has to do with heat as it does with user error. Most of the time when people think they are encountering a thermal ceiling, it has to do with the following:

    1) voltages are incorrect or too high
    2) RAM limitations
    3) unstable PSU
    4) motherboard not able to control power (part of #3)

    What's the point of spending $100+ on something that performs the same as something that costs $50? For the $110 or so the H70 runs, you can drop another $20 and go to real, big-boy watercooling with the Rasa.



    After researching this a little it is not true. There is about 35.00 in missing components and shipping to what you referenced.

    The water they suggest, the corrosion inhibitor, and the biocidal drops. The Rasa system is much larger as where the H70 mounted externally doesn't take up any more room really. I will agree there are trade offs but the 130.00 price tag just isn't true.
  38. $130 is what it is listed for on FrozenCPU, which seems to carry more in stock than most places.

    Yes, you'll need to add distilled water. $2/gallon.
    You should consider biocide. 4$/bottle...lasts indefinitely...you only need 1-2 drops.

    Corrosion inhibitor? Due to what?

    Explain the $35 of missing components.

    You'd essentially only need to add water, of which is your own discretion.

    Shipping costs apply to anything you buy online, whether that be a $25 212+ or this $129 Rasa kit. Shipping is shipping...some want overnight, some can wait a week and save. Shipping is an unknown variable and can't be effectively applied to the cost without knowing exactly how much someone is willing to pay to get an item within a certain time frame.
  39. 164.56 for the Rasa setup.
    96.78 for the H70 on sale.

    Both Fedex ground shipped to my house.

    You need a corrosive inhibitor. Copper + Aluminum + H2O = corrosion. Copper and aluminum are not good together and when you add water it only compounds it.

    Not trying to start a pissing match but include all that is needed.
  40. I understand what galvanic corrosion is.

    My question is: where is aluminum present in the Rasa components?

    And yes, the H70 is often found on sale...there are reasons for this; one being that Corsair is about to release a newer LCS, the H60.
  41. Fittings, pump components, and etc.
  42. Fittings aren't aluminum. They are usually brass that is nickel plated or anodized.

    Pump components are plastic, nylon, etc. for anything that contacts water.
  43. I was simply saying that if you run it hot .... its not going to run effectively ... ande reason its going on sale is because they have some products that say they can hit certain speeds, but dont and when you call there reps and ask why they say that it cant actually hit the speed that its been rated at aka being 2000MHz ram lol
  44. Good luck, and may the force be with you on your cooler choice. For the money, I'd say Noctua instead...but it's up to each person to figure out what they want on their own.

    /rant
  45. I personally found the H70 a good option for me. I didn't want to go full-blown liquid cooling, and I also didn't want a gargantuan block of fins and fans in my case (yes, I know they aren't all enormous). I didn't expect the price point per performance to be as valuable as either a good sink and fan or a more "legitimate" actual liquid cooling kit, but its low profile, as-good-as most air cooling unit performance, and simple aesthetic works for me and was worth the extra $40 (USD). But, to each their own.
  46. Best answer selected by jorgeireyes.
  47. Update for me. 4.8Ghz and temps never get over 42C in gaming with COD BO or Crysis
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Corsair Overclocking Product