Sign in with
Your question

GA-MA790XT-UD4P won't post, vga fan "revving"

Last response: in Motherboards
October 22, 2009 10:11:36 PM

G'day everyone,

So I've purchased a new build, and I've run into a problem.

My PC won't even post.

Everything appears to be receiving power etc, all seems to be working fine, except for the VGA card fan, which sounds like a motorbike revving up and down constantly.

The same results for a HD2600 requiring no external power-source, and for a HD5770 requiring a 6pin PCI-E power cable.

I have the following:

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
AMD PII X3 720 BE
2x2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
HIS ATI 5770
640gb WD Black
1tb Samsung EcoGreen F2
Antec True Power 750watt
Antec 300 Illusion

Any help or trouble shooting options you can offer are most appreciated. The last gigabyte purchase I made had to be RMA'd for a broken 2nd PCI-E x16 slot, I would hate for this Gigabyte board to suffer the same fate, as I think I will have lost faith in the Gigabyte boards (which I love for their dualBios setup).

Thanks in advance. Ben
October 23, 2009 12:09:48 AM

So I pulled out the CMOS battery, and left it for a while, removed then reseated the motherboard and all components except the CPU/HSF, and the VGA fan problem seems to have gone away ... now the CPU fan runs at full speed when turned on, and still I can't see any post.

I'm running out of ideas, I've tried single or dual sticks of RAM in different spots and combinations, no good. Tried the same with different SATA components plugged in and out ... I don't know what else to try ... any kind of suggestions or help understanding would be most appreciated.

Cheers :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2009 3:33:43 AM

Is the PSU pluged into this Socket?

m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2009 10:13:22 PM

Ben, how long are you giving it to POST?

You should give it an HOUR if the fans are keeping it cool.

After that, you can proceed with your troubleshooting. But if you are shutting it down after just a few minutes, the chances are excellent that it WOULD have reached POST, if you'd given it a lot more time.

I have 2 threads here (search via my name) about a delayed POST with a different Gigabyte board. I've been working at the problem for 11 months, so (unfortunately) I've become an expert on the delayed POST itself—just not how to fix it!

Anyway, if your fans are on, just let it take its time. Using a stopwatch is a good idea.

Oh—the fluctuating sound from the video card fan is normal under these circumstances. You don't need to worry about that detail, anyway.

Good luck.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2009 7:02:07 AM

Hmm I've got the UD5P and when I first got it I had an AMD 5000be so I had to update the bios to take the present Phenom II 550,and I have never had to wait more than a few seconds for it to boot etc...:) 
m
l
October 24, 2009 12:42:15 PM

Well, you definitely should not have to wait more than a few seconds, of course. However, when things are not working right, it might be helpful to know whether the system "will not boot" versus "takes a very long time to reach POST".

I used to give up and abort after 3-4 minutes, thinking it wasn't booting at all. In fact, it would have eventually reached POST and booted every time. I discovered that by accident while using 2 computers one day, when I just let the problem computer stay on, with its fans whirring. I completely forgot about it. After about half an hour: BEEP!

Mine is a GA-MA78GMS2H ver 1.1 with the latest BIOS. (The problem has persisted through at least 3 BIOS versions.) I RMAd the mobo—no difference.
m
l
November 2, 2009 9:49:24 PM

Okay, so back to the thread, I have RMA'd the motherboard, and the exact same situation has occurred.

The video card is still "revving" (fan sounds like a motorbike revving, spinning up and down, up and down). The CPU fan was working fine, running at low speed. I tested RAM in every slot, no avail. I removed the battery to clear CMOS, now the CPU fan spins at 100% again. I'm extremely careful to discharge static into the case before touching components, and I've built several systems before and NEVER had issues like this before, except for another Gigabyte motherboard (EP45-UD3P) which would turn the fan of the GPU in the 2nd PCI-E slot (when crossfired) up to 100% and not register it.

I've been step by step through every trouble shooting guide I can find, and I've been benchtesting the setup with only the CPU + HSF, 1 stick of RAM (in all slots) and the GPU installed, with the CPU 8 pin power plug, the MB 24pin powerplug, and the case power button installed.

The monitor is tested and works.

Is it possible that my CPU simply doesn't work?

Or is it possible that my RAM is incompatible? (I've researched this and there are users with the same M/board and RAM, so it seems unlikely)

I'm trying to find another AM3 CPU to try in place of my 720BE. Otherwise I may just send the whole lot back and purchase a damn pre-built and a good GPU. I hate this s@#t!!!

I'm at my wits end, I've had it with this situation now. I'm starting to think I bought an $1100 paper weight.
m
l
November 2, 2009 10:08:28 PM

By the way, what happens if you press the front case Power Button, wait 30 seconds, and then press the front case Restart Button?
m
l
November 2, 2009 10:43:34 PM

No difference.
m
l
November 2, 2009 11:50:21 PM

Well, don't be too hard on yourself OR your system. It ain't no paperweight! I looked at your words and remembered that I said the very same about my own system, with its quite-similar problem.

You did try letting it just sit there with the fans on for as long as an HOUR, right, as I suggested earlier? As long as your fans are keeping it cool, this should be okay. What you would learn would be if it (a) won't boot at all, versus (b) simply takes a very long time to boot.

My guess is that yours would boot, after 15 to 40 minutes. Of course I could be wrong.

I believe also that your PSU is on the suspect list. It will have power enough, but it just might have a defect which could be very hard for you to find. So you can put your PSU on your list of candidates to RMA. That might in fact be the next thing you do.

For myself, I seem to be narrowing down possibilities as though—after an entire year—I'll reach a solution within another month or so. In the meantime, I have VERY often felt as angry and frustrated as you must be. But I've also gained one good friend, a younger fellow in England (I'm in Vancouver, Canada); and I've learned more than most people know about the POST and booting. (As I've said, I've learned a lot; I just haven't solved the problem. I think Edison said something like that, and I'm trying to follow his good example.)

You will solve this problem.
You will know a lot more about computers after you've resolved it.
You will be able to help other people.

Take it easy; use your brain in turbo mood; be extremely patient; and never give up. You have almost finished building a very nice computer.
m
l
January 20, 2010 3:38:19 PM

I have the exact same problem with the same motherboard and the 720 BE. It started a couple of days ago after having no problems for about 7 months. The video card fan revs and all other fans remain constant and nothing happens.

I haven't waited for one hour, but I have replaced the video card, without any success (it reved as well).

I'm concerned after reading that you replaced your mobo and still had the problem. This leaves only a couple of other solutions. I would say it's either the psu or the chip, but there is only one way to find out and that is replacing the parts. Very annoying.

m
l
January 20, 2010 4:36:21 PM

@pszpack, you are the first to have the problem begin after a period of time, rather than right away.

Well, do make sure you have covered both of these "easy tries" first, no matter how improbable:

(1) Press the START button and then press the RESTART button. If this is going to do anything, it will give you your POST within a few seconds.

(2) Turn on the system and let it just sit there with the fans and LEDs running, and see if indeed you get your POST eventually. As long as the temperature is okay, let it run for 45 minutes anyway.

I never did solve the problem, but START and then RESTART became my workaround. I am suspicious that the real answer is in the case wiring, rather than the big hardware items. If you want to go to the trouble of breadboarding the system—setting up your main components outside the case, so you are effectively testing without the case being a factor—it might show a result. I never did that.

Anybody eventually having success with this, please let us know.
m
l
February 21, 2010 9:01:05 PM

I'm having the same problem.

Just recently purchased these items from Newegg:

Item #: N82E16820231277
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail

Item #: N82E16819103674
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail

Item #: N82E16813128378
GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

And the machine will not post. No beeps, no codes, no anything. The motherboard revision is version 1. When I checked with Gigabyte's website, it seemed to indicate that this board would support this processor.

I have not hooked up anything else other than the RAM, CPU, and Video Card.

At first I thought the older power supply in the case was not giving enough power, so that was replaced with a Corsair 650W PS, still same problem.

I've also switched out the video card with a known working card, no change.

Any more ideas? Any assistance is helpful.
m
l
February 27, 2010 9:53:19 PM

I'm having this problem too. It happened right after upgrading the bios from f5 to f9. The board is a GA-MA790x-DS4, and I've had it for 2 years with no problems. I've tried the power on, then press reset, and no luck. so now I'm trying the let it sit for an hour suggestion. Has anyone else here had issues after upgrading the bios?
m
l
February 28, 2010 11:59:21 PM

Slacker, did you get this resolved? I just purchased the same board, memory and my Phenon II x3 Henka BE unlocked to your x4 BE Deneb.

When I first plugged my power into the board over by the ATX slot only, I also got no post, beep, etc. Then I saw that I also had to plug power to the opposite side of the board as well, behind the CPU fan. On page seven of your manual, you will see the layout. Plug into the ATX slot and the ATX_12v-2x4 power slots.

Once I did that, I was in business.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 4:23:56 AM

Anybody have any success? I am having the same problem with a brand new Gigabyte P55A-UD3P. I will start the computer, nothing will happen but the graphics cards continues to "reboot" or "rev" every few seconds. I have never seen the happen before and wondering if anyone found a solution.

Thanks
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 4:18:10 PM

OK - I gotta object here... I try to do a thorough, coherent job here of 'filling in' the gaps in GB's support system when I'm able; I will spend goodly amounts of time researching thoughtful, understandable answers - take a peek here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271631-30-motherboard...

But - it's like people go out of their way to make it difficult. You have an entirely different board, with an entirely different CPU and chipset, from an entirely different manufacturer... There are sixteen posts already in this (otherwise irrelevant) thread. To answer, I've got to skim my way through the sixteen posts, see if any are relevant; ask you if you've tried those; often, people 'appending' to a thread assume that I know that the item in post thirteen of thirty-nine is something 'common' to their system, and we 'go 'round' a couple wasted posts establishing that...

We gotta get a 'sticky' here! Don't be afraid to create a new post! Do put your (complete) MOBO part number in the header! Don't 'resurrect' old posts - if it's 'dead' for three weeks or a month, it's 'dead' for a reason! Do search before posting - eighty percent of problems with GB boards (USB troubles, 'boot loops', @BIOS, and the like...) are common problems that have been addressed over and over again! Don't throw away the MOBO manual when you open the box! Do read the thing - a quarter of my responses are copied directly from the relevant GB manual!
m
l
March 13, 2010 8:02:45 PM

pszpak said:
I have the exact same problem with the same motherboard and the 720 BE. It started a couple of days ago after having no problems for about 7 months. The video card fan revs and all other fans remain constant and nothing happens.

I haven't waited for one hour, but I have replaced the video card, without any success (it reved as well).

I'm concerned after reading that you replaced your mobo and still had the problem. This leaves only a couple of other solutions. I would say it's either the psu or the chip, but there is only one way to find out and that is replacing the parts. Very annoying.

I had a similar problem that was driving me crazy. I ran out of components to swap out, and still had a intermittent no post to cmos issue with sudden unexpected shutdowns. I finally took the psu out, took the covers off the unit for inspection, and found very loose ground wires. once tightened up, no problems since.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 8:05:44 PM

bilbat said:
OK - I gotta object here... I try to do a thorough, coherent job here of 'filling in' the gaps in GB's support system when I'm able; I will spend goodly amounts of time researching thoughtful, understandable answers - take a peek here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271631-30-motherboard...

But - it's like people go out of their way to make it difficult. You have an entirely different board, with an entirely different CPU and chipset, from an entirely different manufacturer... There are sixteen posts already in this (otherwise irrelevant) thread. To answer, I've got to skim my way through the sixteen posts, see if any are relevant; ask you if you've tried those; often, people 'appending' to a thread assume that I know that the item in post thirteen of thirty-nine is something 'common' to their system, and we 'go 'round' a couple wasted posts establishing that...

We gotta get a 'sticky' here! Don't be afraid to create a new post! Do put your (complete) MOBO part number in the header! Don't 'resurrect' old posts - if it's 'dead' for three weeks or a month, it's 'dead' for a reason! Do search before posting - eighty percent of problems with GB boards (USB troubles, 'boot loops', @BIOS, and the like...) are common problems that have been addressed over and over again! Don't throw away the MOBO manual when you open the box! Do read the thing - a quarter of my responses are copied directly from the relevant GB manual!

EDIT: Sorry for the original rant.

I took your advice and reread the manual very closely and realized the board has abnormally strange DDR3 configuration.
Reseated the memory into the correct location and board works.

If using 2 memory modules they go into the 2nd and 4th slot not the 1st and 3rd like every other motherboard I have used.
Anyone else find this configuration strange or has this been the norm for awhile?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 13, 2010 11:44:03 PM

Now I'm doubly amused...

I was so amused by your exquisite 'turn of phrase', "vigilante tech-support", that I decided I had to apologize!

I'm old! [:bilbat:6] I sometimes run amok! I rant! [:bilbat:4] I apologize...

As I said, to a great extent, the recurrence of these problems is my own negligence in 'negotiating' a 'sticky' to make some of these things clear - and make it easier on myself. I do try to do as good a job here as I can - and often, the job is 'translating' technical gobblety-gook specifications into readable (I hope...), understandable (I hope, even more!) explanations... I didn't mean to cast aspersions on your degree of technical knowledge; when I'm in my right mind (crazed manic depressive :pt1cable:  , me...), I try to cater to all levels of knowledge, as I realize, everyone's got to learn somewhere... Another thing that's common here is for someone to appear (to a quick glance) to be really 'challenged', when the actual situation is that English is not their primary language - I've 'oopsed' that one a couple times, even after years of doing industrials in other countries, where I had a difficult time with 'thank you', and (the ever important) 'where is the bathroom'!!!

Quote:
If using 2 memory modules they go into the 2nd and 4th slot not the 1st and 3rd like every other motherboard I have used.
Anyone else find this configuration strange or has this been the norm for awhile?

That's not even too bad - now, we have a situation with the AMD 785/790 boards where GB's instructions specifically state that you want the first two slots if you're only using two DIMMs, and the AMD tuning guide for the same chipsets specify the last two [:bilbat:2] !!

Anyhow, I'm glad we settled the differnces, and glad you've found your problem, and I'll remember 'vigilante tech-support FOREVER! [:bilbat:5]
m
l
a c 89 V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 2:29:42 AM

Quote:
EDIT: Sorry for the original rant.

I took your advice and reread the manual very closely and realized the board has abnormally strange DDR3 configuration.
Reseated the memory into the correct location and board works.

Using the slots starting with the one further away from the CPU has been the norm for Intel chips since the LGA 1366 socket was released. I posted a link to a checklist further up in this thread that would have solved your problem by either performing steps #1 or #8.
m
l
April 24, 2010 8:05:54 AM

if you can see no post..but things seem to power on.....try another video card, try another monitor.....also,,,did you put thermal paste or pad between cpu and heatsink.....check all you connections and reseat everything....remove and re-install your video card and see what happens...

gigabyte makes great boards,,,,,and they are nice looking, competitive priced , and work well...i have just update all 3 computers i have,,,they all have new gigabyte boards in them and work well....i also have a new biostar board in my i7-860 rig,,,but i got it with a bundle that was included, and got the biostar board free..my first..so was skepticle on how biostar works,,,though i probablly will never buy one.....it works okay,,but not much for bios settings....
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 24, 2010 3:40:25 PM

??? YET another one!

Now ya see here son, this is what we call a dead thread, it died as no one was interested or no one had info for it, or the author found the info and decided to let the thread die.

So we buried it, gave it a funeral and let it lie in peace.

Now what ya have done here is Necrothreaded it back into the living realm, disturbing its grave and its peace! Why boy, why? The poor thread has suffered enough! Let it rest!!

I guess I can't b!tch too vehemently - the last round of this gave me my lovely avatar title, and 'got me off my @$$' to finally get a sticky posted [:bilbat:9]
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:12:36 AM

funny......and very true...... :pt1cable: 
m
l
May 9, 2010 10:02:28 PM

I'm using the following:
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 3.4GHZ BLACK
GA-MA790XT-UD4P
ocz FATAL1TY ddr3 4gb 2x2 1066 mhz
850w PSU
http://www.dabs.com/products/ocz-technology-ddr3-4gb--2x2--fatal1ty-1333mh-5D0Q.html

I'm also using 2x ati 4850 HD's in crossfire. Each card is 1gb. Now, I'm running windows 7 pro, not some unstable operating system like windows ME. While I do a fair bit of tinkering, this isn't a software problem.

Now, I was in the middle of beta testing a game, Heroes a Newerth, yes, not the best game, but hey, I've played far worse.

Now when I try to boot my pc, I get 0. Nothing. None of the post codes. I've changed the graphics cards, tested them too.

"1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error"

I have none of those beeps emitted. With the ram, my friend and I know that *at least* 1 stick is fine, the other one there's issues with but that's more to do with the pc the tests were done on. The 1st stick passed tests fine with memtest.

So I'm now at a loss.
Is it the CPU that's rogered, or the motherboard?

Oh, also, I've done no over-clocking, and my case has sufficient cooling inside to keep stable.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2010 2:33:08 AM

For those still having a revving problem with their pc.. I have found a way to figure out what the problem is. (At least I have managed to solve my probem) Suddenly 2 days ago my pc was having the same symptoms which are; you can use the power button to run it, you can't see and screen posts and you can't shut it with using the power button or even reset it. Plus my vga's fan was revving.

First I tought there's a problem with my mobo, and I've found out this forum.. Before I found this forum I nearly tried everything mentioned in there such as re-setting bios, trying different memory modules and etc. These were not a solution for me, then I tought the problem might be the PSU so I borrowed a PSU from a friend of mine to test whether it is gonna boot or not. Then bingo !! The problem was my PSU and I have managed to solve the problem with replacing my PSU with new one.

So If anyone still having similar problems, I recommend them to replace their PSU with another and make some tests.

Cheers Mus

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
2X2 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM 1666Mhz
BFG 8800 GTX OC2
2X500 Maxtor HDDs RAID-1 Enabled
700W OCZ PSU
m
l
May 20, 2010 8:26:41 AM

Hi, i took a somewhat more indepth approach, and tested my own board. Seeing as my problem occured after 4 months of use after no hardware configuration change, not initailly.
Basically a voltage regulator blew on the motherboard, causing a voltage spike to blow up the A2 ram slot, and damage god knows what else. Consequently, 1 stick of bust ram, and a fried motherboard. Other stuff plugged into the board was okay, but the board itself is screwed. I'm RMA'ing it.
m
l
!