Your question

How do I add existing raid 1 drives to new windows 7

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Windows 7
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2010 6:59:26 AM

How do I set up the following. Do i just install win 7 on drive c follow by intel matrix storage manager or are there any special steps to take note?

Before
c:\ windows xp

d:\raid 1 mirrored
e:\raid 1 mirrored

After
c:\ windows 7 (after formatting and install win 7)

d:\raid 1 mirrored
e:\raid 1 mirrored

More about : add existing raid drives windows

a b G Storage
December 21, 2010 11:44:56 AM

The big questions is, what controller was the RAID1 array connected to? And, what controller will it be connected to?

If the RAID1 array was connected to the motherboard RAID controller, for example ICH10R, then you can connected the drives to the SATA ports and configure the RAID array in the RAID utility, if the controller doesn't automatically recognize the array. Of course, be sure to set SATA controller in the BIOS properly to be for RAID.

You run into issues when moving a RAID array from one controller to another as not all controllers use the same protocol.

Of course, RAID1 is not a back-up solution and hopefully you have all the data on the array on another media. If so, and in case configuring the array wipes out the data, you can always just reconfigure the RAID1 in the new environment and then image the data from the back-up to the RAID1.
m
l
December 28, 2010 5:57:59 AM

chunkymonster said:
The big questions is, what controller was the RAID1 array connected to? And, what controller will it be connected to?

If the RAID1 array was connected to the motherboard RAID controller, for example ICH10R, then you can connected the drives to the SATA ports and configure the RAID array in the RAID utility, if the controller doesn't automatically recognize the array. Of course, be sure to set SATA controller in the BIOS properly to be for RAID.

You run into issues when moving a RAID array from one controller to another as not all controllers use the same protocol.

Of course, RAID1 is not a back-up solution and hopefully you have all the data on the array on another media. If so, and in case configuring the array wipes out the data, you can always just reconfigure the RAID1 in the new environment and then image the data from the back-up to the RAID1.

the controller remains the same since there are no hardware changes. i am asking this because when i set up the RAID on XP it was a painful process. i need to plug drive c to another SATA controller and configure it to IDE; boot up C and install intel matrix storage manager before it can detect the raid drive. I was wondering if setting it up on Windows 7 will be similar or easier.
m
l
Related resources
!