eevilnate

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: June, 2009 (or when http:///www.arma2.com is released)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, general usage.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: All perifs besides monitor are logitech.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com - local shop is www.enuinc.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to stick with Intel due to performance reviews, as for video card mfg. i'm not sold on anything yet.

OVERCLOCKING: I wouldn't mind overclocking, but since I never did this before I would like to take the least risky process.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently have 21" Gateway LCD (native 1680X1050) if I need to buy a new monitor it's not a big deal to upgrade. I have a 42" 1080p LCD TV, and sometimes I like to connect my PC to it.

***CURRENT SYSTEM***
Intel C2D E6600
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
2GB PC8500
Antec power supply (massive wattage, don't know details but it cost $140.)
(2) Western Digital 74GB Raptors (striped, RAID 0)
Geforce GTX 260 (used to have (2) ATi X1900 XTX in crossfire, worthless!)
Creative X-fi (typical $40 sound card)
Onboard NIC
Windows XP (32bit)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
1. Is it a waste of money to upgrade at this point? Should I just OC the CPU?
2. I've always bought the bargain sound cards ($40 - $60), I noticed on newegg there are expensive sound cards (~$200). Is the difference really that noticeable? Is there a youtube video demonstrating the difference?
3. Overclocking: My budget is could go over $2k a bit, so I could upgrade the cooling a little but I don't want something that requires constant maintenance. My goal is to have my proc run STABLE atleast 3.2Ghz without budgeting $1k in the CPU alone. Are the water cooling solutions maint. free? Are there good heat sinks and fans that will get me where I need to be?

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
You will only need $1400-$1500 if your willing to use that 42"

i do have a GTX 285 hooked up to a 20" at the house, yea i would like something bigger but, it works....

but, if you would prefer a newer monitor, you can look at $1800 no problem.

i7 core ftw here:

Motherboard : Asus P6T Deluxe V2

CPU: i7core 920

PSU: 850tx +

GPU: GTX 285(for now)

memory: OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 CL: 7-7-7-24

Optical: either a nice Blu-ray or the 22x LG Optical award winnings.

Case : Mid-Tower RC-690/Antec 900/Antec 902 or Full Tower: Coolermaster Haf/ Antec 1200.

OS: Windows 7(not the full version) and get it free later( atleast thats what i've been seeing on threads) or, Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium

HDD: WD Black 640gb

eevilnate

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
@Fullmetal

You think I could get 3.2Ghz stable out of a i7 920 without too much interention?

I've been pretty happy with 2X 10k rpm drives stripped, should I stick with that or just get a HDD?

Is the GTX295 a waste of money when compared to the 285? I was considering with 295OC.

Any advice about degrees of quality with different sound cards?

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The onboard sound on the motherboard should be just fine, getting sepereate speakers from a local store would be something better than ordering something off the net.

One thing i did forget is a Aftermarket cooler.

Get a S1283v Darknight xigmatek cooler + arctic silver 5 thermal compound

or a V8 + arctic silver 5 thermal compound. Helps keep the system cool during an overclock.

the raptors should be fine fast but, i really dont see a point in them, would rather get a ssd for speed and hdd for space.

As for the gfx card, if it fits in your budget range, the gtx 295 would be there better match.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
How high are you trying to OC? 3.2GHz is a good spot to be at without voltage increases needed on a 920. You can even hit 4.0GHz by just weaking the QPI and your RAM (of course your base clock and multplier too, but with a small voltage increase) ^_^

eevilnate

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
@Fullmetall
Soundcard: Interesting, i've read posts from people screeming bloody murder when considering buying a card like I have ($40 special), I would only imagine that they would have a nervous breakdown when thinking of using onboard sound. As for the speakers, i'm fine with what I have (dolby 5.1). Wouldn't mind getting a fancy 7.1 headphones.

Data Storage: 10k rpm drives stripped aren't worth it in your opinion? The reason I chose these is because I know DD's are the supreme bottle neck in computers. Have SSDD's found a happy medium with reliability and cost? I'll have to do more research about this, thanks for the suggestion.

Coolers: I'll look into those coolers, I'm willing to shell out $ on this.

@Kill@dor

3.2ghz is what I expect for minimum. If I should get the 2.933Ghz proc. to guarantee that I get 3.2Ghz (again, with ultimate stability) so be it. If I can get > 3.2Ghz without having to stage a fire extinguisher next to my PC, even better.

Should I go with the RAM that FullMetall suggested if I wanted OC my RAM too? Maybe I should have said "Starting @ $2,000".

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The ram i suggested will have to be manually overclocked, as so does all the other ram.

It will be showed as underclocked than what it posts.

Say you get the ddr3 1600mhz, it will show probably ddr3 1333 mhz in your bios, you will need to manually set it to standard or overclocked,

Now, timings, they should be already set, hopefully you can keep them at 7-7-7-24 with an overclock, the tighter the faster the performance/speed

eevilnate

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I'll still have to do a bunch of research about the missed questions:

Sound card, quality vs. cost.

Risks involved with overclocking CPU and RAM (voltages?)

mansalim

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

you dont need $200 sound card. better spend those money on good speakers (logitech z5500 THX). Even the onboard sound sounds great on that speaker. :D :D

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
He's right, you don't need a ram over normal voltage to hit a high ghz. FSB is one good thing to oc and raising your multiplier on your cpu.

and about the sound card, it wouldn't be worth the $200 for a add-on soundcard.

7.1 surround sound will sound beautifully on the onboard.