First Build Just Arrived

Duque

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
So the parts are starting to arrive for my first ever build. Asus P6T Deluxe v2, i7 920, Noctua cooler, sli 285s, 6 gb ocz plat 1600s, samsung 22x dvd burner, and 2 wd 1 tb drives all in a Cosmos 1000 case along with some scythe fans and a nzxt fan controller. So my question is where besides youtube can I find some guides for putting all this sutff together. I'm sure most is well explained in the manuals, but can anyone give me a list of dos and donts. Like do I need a grounding strap. Thanks.

I find I usually follow the below step... You can modify of course. I don't think you will find any real YouTube tutorials to building a PC, it's alot of personal preference and you own experiences. You will probably do and redo several items before you get what you want. And I never use a grounding strap. Just don't wear a sweater and fuzzy slippers on a shag carpet. Just touch something grounded before you begin to release any built up positive charge and you will be fine. Just don't get frustrated, that will end badly. Walk away for a while, and come back if you have a temper. The only time I have ever broken anything is when I got bent out of shape. And you will need ZIPPY TIES.. they are a builders best friend. I have every color available at HomeDepot. Walmart has a little assorted can as well. I found it near the car stereo stuff.

1. Install your CPU, cooler, and Ram onto the motherboard before you install it into the case. It makes life easier. If you have a non OEM CPU cooler you will need Thermal paste. Just make sure its of good quality and follow the directions to apply. You can find entire threads of how people THINK you should apply it, but there are a few effective ways.
2. Give your case a good inspection. No loose wires, screws, etc.
3. Install your Power supply...because sometime you can't get it in there after your CPU and mobo are installed. Not saying ALL cases, but some.
4. Install the standoff screws for your mobo, check the holes on your mobo and make sure you get them in the right holes in the case. Then install the mobo I/O
plate in to the case. Install the motherboard into the case.
5. Install any case fans. (plug them in later)
6. Install your Drives (but not the cables)
7. Run all of your power wires. If you have a modular PSU it makes things easy. If not, figure out what you need and lay then aside. Bundle your unused wires and zip tie then in a neat location out of the way. I find the spare 5.25" bays work well. Run your wires neatly and zip tie then in place. You don't want a rats nest of wire, it kills your airflow. Remember to leave any PCI-E cables you will need for your video card.
8. Install the I/O cables, SATA or IDE. Make sure they are neat.
9. Install your video card and any other expansion cards. Make sure to keep the power wires need for your video cards.
10. Just look over everything. Make sure everything is tied down, plugged in, etc.
11. Plug it in and FIRE IT UP! I always leave the side off, it helps you hear anything that might go wrong. Sometimes you get a loud fan, hard drive, wire hitting a fan, vibrating fan or case panel. It's just to keep an eye on things. I usually put the side on after a few hours.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Just make sure you put it together on a table and take your time. Don't do it on carpet...

Also, Like Jay suggested, install CPU and RAM first on the mobo...then screw the board in the case. And PSU...

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Inside the bottom of your CPU...and on the motherboard...the CPU placement position...no touchy touchy.

Besically, anywhere that connects to something on your mobo...graphics, cpu and ram dont touch or pull anything hard. Don't push too hard...but don't be a wimp installing either ^_^ That's because electric currents will go through those connections...and you don't want to grease them up.

Don't turn the PC on unless you are sure everything is connected properly. And do it one at a time...

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Do you really need 2 tb of space? haha really?
and instead of sli gtx285 i would get the gtx295 and then down the road newer *** will come out and the 295 will go down in price and then u sli and ur computer will scream also alot of games dont even support sli yet! and i would get an after market cpu cooler so u can overclock.

I would avoid touching the contact points, such as the bottom of the cpu, the socket pins, I/O board connections (ie video cards). The oil on your hands can stick to it and tarnish them. Also, watch the components on your motherboard, you don't want to knock off a capacitor. When assembling your motherboard, its good to set on a semi soft surface because of the underside not being flat. I find it easiest to set the mobo onto of the box it came in. It's also always good to set it on something anti-static, like the bag it came in. Its just good practice, so just throw down the bag the mobo came in on top of the box it came in and keep that mobo on that until you are ready to install.

Other than that, just be firm with your connections, you want to make sure they are seated correctly. But don't be aggressive. Watch out for the cpu mounting mechanism, it isn't as nice as the LGA775 was. The lever will clamp hard, but it should bend ALOT. If it does, remove the clamp and place the bracket back over the CPU and try again. It takes a little force to clamp it down but not excessive force.

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
he's already ordered his system, and a 15% restocking fee from Newegg on 2 GTX 285's is $99, so it would be wiser just to stick with his SLI 285s

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
The DX11 cards will be coming out later this year, so IMO buying a GTX 295 now, and then another in a few weeks/months will just be a waste of $$$. I'm buyinga 4890 when i get my new build here in a couple of weeks, and possibly buy a second on in a month, but then ill be saving up for the new DX11s. I could just wait for a 4890x2 then get another one of those, but thatll be an extra 500 bux ill spend on something that will be obsolete soon.