Sign in with
Your question

Dell Dimension 5100 was rebooting randomly then black screen with beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
October 23, 2009 1:50:15 AM

I have a Dimension 5100 that would constantly reboot itself. Thought it was the CPU overheating so I replaced the factory fan and added a second one.

Then all of the sudden the computer beeps at me 1-3-2, which is the memory being not recognized/not there. Also diagnostic lights 3 and 4 are on, which point in the same direction. I have used 3 different ram sticks, one that was in it and 2 brand new ones and tried them in each memory slot one by one with the same results.

I tried switching the CMOS battery to no avail.

I removed all internal cards and drives leaving only the onboard video, hard drive and memory in place.... yeah you guessed it, same problem.

I am thinking the motherboard is done for. Since the computer rebooted itself even in BIOS after random number of seconds or minutes.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If I could give a penny for your thoughts I would.

Best Regards,

BS
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2009 1:15:19 PM

I think it's the power supply.
m
l
October 24, 2009 2:08:42 AM

evongugg said:
I think it's the power supply.

Thanks evongugg for the reply. I just changed out the PSU and still the same error (lights and beeps).

I can't think of anything else that it could be but the MOBO.

Anyone?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 10:54:39 AM

Try building outside the case with beeper, power, motherboard and CPU.
Listen for beeps. Keep adding components.
m
l
October 27, 2009 11:30:15 PM

Please define "building outside" the case.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2009 11:51:02 AM

Before going to the trouble of breadboarding the system, take a flashlight and inspect the motherboard for blown or bulging caps.
m
l
November 7, 2010 3:24:40 PM

Just picked a Dell 5100 from a recycling drive. 4-2 beeps. Pulled the RAM and stuck a single 1gb PC2-4200 in. boots fine.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 7, 2010 3:42:43 PM

^ OLD POST!

@JCunninglam - Please start a NEW post! Thanks! :) 
m
l
!