Sign in with
Your question

S.M.A.R.T. Failure

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2010 5:40:10 PM

Every time i boot at the post screen it tells me that smart has predicted a failure, blah blah blah. I downloaded the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool and its got a red X in the Multi Zone Error Rate. It has the value in there as a 1 in red color, now my other identical HDD is all fine and it shows the value for the Multi Zone Error Rate as 200 in normal black letters. I'd like to know a few things, A: What is Mutli Zone Error Rate, B: Is it any major problem, and C: is there any possible way to fix it without a new HDD?

Thanks!, Firedrake125

More about : failure

a c 354 G Storage
December 21, 2010 6:19:32 PM

According to wiki, the multi zone error rate is: The count of errors found when writing a sector. The higher the value, the worse the disk's mechanical condition is

Here is the wiki page.
a c 84 G Storage
December 21, 2010 7:02:31 PM

backup your data and try using the WD software to low level format the hard drive.

then use the WD software and test the drive again.

if it passes you can use it again; however, I would keep a close eye on it in the future.
December 21, 2010 7:31:58 PM

^+1 to Emeralds suggestion.

Generally those are signs of a dying drive. Sometimes though, a low level format will fix the issue (could have just been sectors that were written to badly or something). Either way, back up everything ASAP
!