RickTacular

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I've gone through three different brand motherboards in about 3-1/2 to 4 years. Different things have been happening but ultimately what happens is that my mobo dies on me. Could it be my PSU slipping periodically and sending too many volts thru the wires or something? Or do I just have crap luck with motherboards? Oh, this computer has been rock-solid for many, many years. It has a Foxconn motherboard, so that's what I'm getting from Neweeg, but should I also replace the PSU? Thanks. =)

Rick Sanford
Rick_Tacular@yahoo.com

RickTacular

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
In this most recent case it was a Gigabyte motherboard. For the past few years I've been using a 350w no name brand (Allied is the name on the box). This last time I was playing CoH when the computer just shut off on me. When I tried to reboot, it wouldn't post. I took the video card, RAM, and even the CPU out one at a time and each time the motherboard wouldn't post. The drives would spin up (they too were unplugged one at a time) and the fan on the PSU would run, but no post.

As for past motherboards, I don't remember the exact circumstances, but ultimately they too wouldn't post, and replacing them fixed the problem. They were Asus brand (one for an AMD and one for an Intel).

Again, the computer I'm using now also has a no-name brand PSU and a Foxconn mobo that's been solid now for about 5 years, I'm guessing. Maybe I can convince my wife to shell out more of our hard earned (and sparse) cash for a new PSU as well as the motherboard. :??:

Thanks for the help!

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Ya I would be scared of your psu and would deffinatly suspect it being behind your problems. Are you sure you can't tell the name/brand of the psu...ussualy they have some sort of markings stating a manufacture?

Even if the psu is not the issue I would recommend upgrading to a respectable manufacture such as PC Power & Cooling, Antec, or Crosair.

Ummmm yeah.. I would guess that your 350W PSU is a number of years old. PSU's degrade over time and it no longer puts out 350W. And the fact that you are playing CoH on this machine and you mentioned you removed the video card worries me. What video card do you have? I'm am pretty certain your PSU is what your issue is. If your PSU can't push your components it puts stress on them, and you will either loose your PSU or worse your components.

Just get a good cheap PSU. This one is $39.99 after MIR with free shipping. 500W should get you going.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
OCZ psu's would be a mid grade psu. If you are extremely strapped on cash OCZ might not be a bad option....but if you have any sort of flexiblity in your budget I'd still stick with PC Power & Cooling, Antec, or Crosair.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I would say thermaltake is somewhere between high preformer and mid preformer...it really depends on which model. But your right thermaltake isn't to bad when reading some reviews.

I ussualy don't look into BFG that often. Maybe your right? I'll have to do some research and see if i can find some reviews for them...wouldn't have any at hand do ya? I guess my ignorant opipion would put BFG at about the same grade as OCZ?