External Monitor / TV Display clone issues - DVI to Component cable

kwatson7

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I've got a new Lenovo Y530 running Vista with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, and my external display is to be a Vizio VX37L LCD TV (see specs - http://www.katerno.com/detail/s/26031/p/VW37LHDTV10A/Vizio-VW37L-HDTV---VW37LHDTV10A ).

Anyways, my cable is a DVI to component, and I can't get it to work. Every time I connect the cable to the computer, my screen goes blank as if it's trying to make the external monitor the primary (and only) monitor. I'd be fine with that, but I'm getting no signal on the TV end (and it's set on the correct input, component. I've flipped through all the other inputs just to be sure, but that shouldnt be the problem). I thought it might be a resolution issue, but I've tried it at multiple resolutions to no avail. Actually, the computer doesn't let me change the resolution of the second monitor because it's not plugged in, but when I plug the cable into my computer the screen goes black; therefore I can't fiddle around with it to see.

Any help?

kwatson7

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Yeah, I've hooked up what i thought was a DVI-DVI cable to the RGB port on the tv and it worked fine (don't know the difference between DVI and VGA, so it could have been a VGA for all I know) but I'd like to be able to use this cable if at all possible.