dpn

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I fear that my PSU was dead upon delivery. This is my 2nd build so I like to think that I know what I am doing for the most part regardless, I followed the instruction booklets very carefully. Anyway, I hooked everything up within the case and yes I reviewed the "failed to boot" thread somewhere in these forums. Flicked on the switch and nothing started. I took everything out and put it back in still nothing. I then stumbled across the "paperclip trick" and tried that by connecting the green and one of the black pin holes with a paperclip and plugging in the sata cable into this computer's HD. turned it all on HD failed to boot, fan on PSU didn't spin.

I am basically wondering if there is anything else I could try or some sort of common mistake that could have gone wrong. I'm also wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how was the return/exchange with an online vendor.

I will probably go visit my uncle (computer engineer) tomorrow to see what the problem is before trying to send it back. If the PSU is indeed dead and I am not an idiot I am pretty disappointed. :(

Here's the PSU in question:

OCZ 600W StealthXStream (OCZ600SXS)

Other pieces I ordered:

Gigabyte MA770-UD3 Motherboard
Patriot EP 4096MB PC6400 DDR2
Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX
Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case

Yup could be the PSU. It's best to try it out with another PSU you know works to make sure that the motherboard isn't the problem. Anyway make sure you properly insearted the RAM and secured all cables.

Make sure you didn't try to connect a PCI-E connector to the motherboards 4/8pin connector