Sign in with
Your question

Power supply Question regarding 9800gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2009 3:09:26 AM

Hey was wanting to upgrade my video card but It looks like that I might have to upgrade my power supply which I dont want to do. I am a occasional gamer just got far cry 2 and would like to get Crysis. My question is this I have a Zion 500 Watt Power Supply. The amps under the 12v amps are 18 and for the other 12v 37. Im told that the 9800gts and gtx could run on this but it would be like draining my system im currently running a E6300 Dual core 2 1.86 proc and 2gig 667 memory wd 250 16mb cache hard drive and msi p65 board. Are these cards too much for my system? I would consider runningt 9600gt card if it is less. Im also told to buy 1 gig for memory just for future use. Games in future may require. I really dont want to upgrade my power supply and proabaly just hold on the card for a long time. I am not running any Sli or plan to. Just on a budget and want to play a decent game every once in awhile without having to spend a arm and leg to do so. Thanks
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2009 3:16:18 AM

Are you planning to run both cards at the same time?

Your system will have no problem handling a single card.
May 25, 2009 3:21:48 AM

No I want only one card just thought the 9800gt and gtx would be too much for my power supply and would cause issues on the system. Im looking at Evga 9800gtx 512 125 and BGfg 9800gt 1Gig 124. I was reading the reviews on 512 vs 1gig told to get 1 gig so can play newer games down the road does it even matter? I was told it would help with crysis having the extra memory. I have 19 Lcd 2ms response 2000 to 1 monitor. I just want to get best bang for the buck any thoughts which way to go? I will not be doing Sli thanks
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2009 3:28:13 AM

1. Your PSU should have no problems running a single 9800GTX. You have more than enough amps.

2. You really don't need 1GB of RAM unless you plan to go SLi and on high resolutions (over 1650x1080).

With only a single GPU and a 19' monitor, it only needs 512mb of RAM...1GB would be a waste of money.
May 25, 2009 3:38:15 AM

What card do you have now? Honestly a 9800gtx is too excessive for a 19" screen and a 1.86 Ghz dual core.

Unless you plan to upgrade your CPU and monitor in the near future, I would think about something cheaper.

Have you considered ati? The hd4770 actually comes pretty close to the 9800gtx for a lower price, lower power consumption, and has a lot of room for OC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyway, if you have a decent card now, i would just hold on to it and save up some cash to build a whole new system later on.

Good luck
May 25, 2009 3:48:20 AM

litex said:
What card do you have now? Honestly a 9800gtx is too excessive for a 19" screen and a 1.86 Ghz dual core.

Unless you plan to upgrade your CPU and monitor in the near future, I would think about something cheaper.

Have you considered ati? The hd4770 actually comes pretty close to the 9800gtx for a lower price and has a lot of room for OC.

Anyway, if you have a decent card now, i would just hold on to it and save up some cash to build a whole new system later on.

Good luck

Here is my dilema. I may upgrade later I can get a good deal on a new I7 proce and board which I may do. But not now I have a 7600gt card that is dying right now. Which is causing me to look for another card. I want something that would be powerful now and that would hold me over. I did see the 4770 and read the reviews but newegg and other websites dont have. Would u suggest that i go with the bfg 9800gt 1gig card its 124 with rebate and puts around middle teens or should i just settle now for 9600gt 1gig i want to play crysis. So u think that card would be to much though for my monitor? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2009 3:53:40 AM

Get yourself a GTX+, it's better than the GT and only slightly more expensive.

1GB of a 9800GT = a waste because a 9800GT is too weak to use all that RAM
May 25, 2009 3:58:53 AM

The 9600gt is pretty terrible, actually.

Since you may be getting a new CPU then the 9800gtx may be a good idea. You won't use it to its full potential now, but later you will.

If you just want something that is decent and cheap, until you get your new CPU, then this might be a good choice:

Good luck
!