Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ocing a i7 1366 help

Last response: in Overclocking
February 21, 2011 1:05:17 PM

ok i was able to get it to 4.0 and the temps are stable and intel burn test and prime 55 1 hour was stable...

Specs:

* EVGA x58 Sli LE board
* INTEL i7 930 Processor
* Corsair 12gb 3 x 4gb 2000MHz Ram

Settings are :

Core Clock : 200
Multiplier : 20x
Ram Ratio : 2:8
Overclocked to : 4.0MHz

Heres what i am getting .. I am going to :

Core Clock : 210
Multiplier : 20x
Ram Ratio : 2:8
Overclocked to : 4.2MHz

* It will boot into windows but then freezes right away when i try 4.2
* I have the VCore,and VTT right where it needs to be

what else could i raise to make this clock stable ?

More about : ocing 1366

a b à CPUs
February 22, 2011 6:16:02 AM

How do you know Vcore is high enough?
m
l
February 22, 2011 4:17:57 PM

Like PreferLinux said, how do you know your Vcore is high enough? Just because it worked for one person doesn't mean it will work for you.

Prime 95 1 hr stable? What were the max temps? Most say 24 hr stable is minimum before you can truely say you are stable; I have a buddy who runs it for 48-72 hrs before he is comfortable.
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2011 7:36:00 PM

jfby said:
Like PreferLinux said, how do you know your Vcore is high enough? Just because it worked for one person doesn't mean it will work for you.

Prime 95 1 hr stable? What were the max temps? Most say 24 hr stable is minimum before you can truely say you are stable; I have a buddy who runs it for 48-72 hrs before he is comfortable.

72 hours, WOW thats overkill, but your right, 1 hour is not enough. Most of the time I find prime to fail at the 1-3 hour mark. I would say 8-10 hours is enough to be sure. What is your Vcore/VTT and isn't there a QPI voltage with 1366? If there is...what is that?

Are you even sure your board can handle that BCLK? Try reducing the multi to the min and mem to its min frequency then test with that BCLK. This will take all the strain off the mem and CPU and just test if the board can actually handle it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2011 8:06:03 PM

Bump the volt up.
m
l
February 23, 2011 10:32:23 AM

Peaks said:
72 hours, WOW thats overkill, but your right, 1 hour is not enough. Most of the time I find prime to fail at the 1-3 hour mark. I would say 8-10 hours is enough to be sure. What is your Vcore/VTT and isn't there a QPI voltage with 1366? If there is...what is that?

Are you even sure your board can handle that BCLK? Try reducing the multi to the min and mem to its min frequency then test with that BCLK. This will take all the strain off the mem and CPU and just test if the board can actually handle it.

My friend can be a little eccentric... back in school he'd see how many days he could run his computer without restarting/turning it off, fold at home, etc.

You're right though; if I can run 3 hrs, I can run for 24 hrs. The big thing I do is after any changes is run Prime95 for 4 hrs and then run IntelBurntest 20 times and then at my earliest convienence (when I can't touch my computer for 24 hrs) I'll do Prime95.
m
l
February 23, 2011 10:03:43 PM

i got it to 4.2 by adjusting the vcore and vtt but the temps were borderline and it wasnt stable .... but yeah i did a few more burn test since and prime for 2 additional hours at 4.0 with my new 24 gb of 1600 patriot ram.....
m
l
February 25, 2011 11:32:08 AM

jfby said:
The big thing I do is after any changes is run Prime95 for 4 hrs and then run IntelBurntest 20 times and then at my earliest convienence (when I can't touch my computer for 24 hrs) I'll do Prime95.

lol - thats funny, I do it the other way round. I do quick tests using ten runs of burn test until I find a setting I am happy with. I then run prime for about 8 hours. But yea 3 hours is the key ;) 

@rollaballinc: Sounds like you are stable @4 but you still haven't said what you actual volts are. Who knows with a better cooler you could get to 4.2
m
l
March 1, 2011 9:00:12 PM

better cooler ? I have a hydro 50 temps really arent my issue
m
l
March 1, 2011 9:24:14 PM

Even with a water cooled system, you have to be sure of the overall system ventalation. Also you seem to a avoid the question of what volts you are running; every chip is different and maybe someone might know something that could help with more info.
m
l
March 3, 2011 8:06:11 PM

i should have the same as you if you have i7 930 oced to 4.0 lol but i am not sure ill have to take a pic and upload
m
l

Best solution

March 3, 2011 8:24:50 PM

You very well could be at the same voltage, but due to manufacturing process of how the chips/motherboards are made, not every chip is exactly the same and the voltage needed to reach 4.0 or 4.2 or whatever will vary ever so slightly from chip to chip. Typically the problem isn't reaching the speed or even supplying the needed voltage. The next issue is: can you keep your CPU from overheating.

If you run stress test at 4.2 GHz and crash due to CPU power loss, then the CPU didn't have enough voltage regardless if someone else (online or a buddy) reached 4.2 GHz at the same voltage(s). Use those guides as a reference, not the gospel on how it's done.

My situation: I have my system OC'd to 4.0 GHz Prime95 stable for 24 hrs, but it is warm due to the fact that my cooler isn't the best. My voltage is a tad bit higher than others online, but it's slightly lower than others around.

Here is my suggestion:
Lower the bclock and raise your multiplier to 21 (your RAM will run just a little bit slower but you might be able to drop your voltages and still be stable with a lower bclock).
Raise your voltage a couple notches above what you think it should be, run IntelBurn Test 5 passes. If it is OK drop your voltage down sligthly; repeat until you can't run 5 passes. Once it crashes, do Prime95. If you pass and are OK with your temps, stay at that voltage.
March 5, 2011 12:46:48 PM

Best answer selected by rollaballinc.
m
l
!