Sign in with
Your question

Thecus N2200 NAS w/ two Samsung HD103SJ drives

Last response: in Storage
December 22, 2010 6:34:26 AM

Thanks in advance for your help. I have a Thecus N2200 and two Samsung HD103SJ drives. The NAS will not detect one drive. I have upgraded firmware, swapped slots, and done everything I can think to do. All the hardware is new. Is it likely that I have a bad drive, or is there something I may be overlooking--a simple solution? Thanks!
a c 97 G Storage
December 22, 2010 6:51:34 AM

have you tried the drive inside a computer?
m
l
December 22, 2010 6:59:58 AM

Good idea. I forgot to mention that I have a laptop, so I cannot install the drive. Also, I don't have a cable or enclosure to make the connection externally.

I haven't installed drives since they were IDE. And, my experience was with moving jumpers to make master and slave drives. There are no jumpers with RAID, are there? Thanks.
m
l
a c 97 G Storage
December 22, 2010 7:41:16 AM

SATA drives do not have jumpers to configure Master and Slave.

It might be the enclosure. Have you tied switching caddies or made sure the drive is mounted correctly?
m
l
December 22, 2010 7:18:05 PM

I switched the drives in the caddies, and it still will not recognize one of the drives. I did find out that the hard drives are not the problem, though. The NAS is detecting whichever drive is in bay 1. For some reason, it is not seeing the drive in bay 2. I opened the NAS and checked the cable connections. They were solid. I'm guessing I will have to return the Thecus. I will hate to have to wait on another because there is plenty of time right now to play with the NAS. Any ideas of what might fix it?
m
l
December 22, 2010 7:54:01 PM

I put in a support ticket with Thecus, but if anyone has any more advice I would appreciate it. Thanks!
m
l
December 23, 2010 6:24:00 AM

Thecus Support asked for screenshots and my config.bin. They said my hard drives are not on the supported HDD list. Hopefully, they will find a way to make them work, though.
m
l
December 23, 2010 9:14:09 PM

Sounds like an excuse to not fix their broken crap.
m
l
December 23, 2010 9:36:26 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
Sounds like an excuse to not fix their broken crap.

:D  We'll see!
m
l
January 3, 2011 3:57:17 AM

Thecus said there is a problem with the NAS. So, off it goes. They have been quick to respond. I appreciate that. They actually responded a week ago, but the holidays distracted me from this thread.
m
l
January 5, 2011 4:21:12 AM

When you get your NAS back, you may like to try some of the user contributed modules, a useful example is getting SSH access

I've had a N2200 for almost a year, and now I only use it for adhoc storage, as it is a bit slow for useful streaming.
m
l
January 12, 2011 1:06:10 AM

mishav said:
When you get your NAS back, you may like to try some of the user contributed modules, a useful example is getting SSH access

I've had a N2200 for almost a year, and now I only use it for adhoc storage, as it is a bit slow for useful streaming.

Thanks for the tip!
m
l
!