Sign in with
Your question

Stick with XP or go to Server 2008

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2009 2:22:48 AM

Hey guys. I am currently running XP 32bit which I payed $140 for. After I bought it and installed it I found out that since I am a student I get a free copy of Server 2008 which can easily be converted to Vista. I downloaded Server 2008 from Microsoft and got my key for it once I found out I could get it for free.

I have been toying with the idea of installing Server 2008 but I have not done it yet. I can't get over the fact I spend $140 on XP and then I'm not going to use it.

What do you guys think I should do? Are there any benefits to running vista over XP? DX10 vs. DX9 is the only thing I can really think of. Thanks!

More about : stick server 2008

May 5, 2009 12:41:15 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features...

Vista is good for new pcs. It does a lot of optimization at idle. Let it do its things. It's like having a car mechanic checking on and tuning your car while it's not in use. Also, the major diff. between xp & vista is firewall. Vista can block inbound & outbound (app/port/rule-based). It's like iptables in Linux. You can tune as much as you want. Or just get a frontend.

Did I say Aero?
May 5, 2009 7:22:18 PM

So you are basically saying to ditch XP and install Server? Seems like there are a decent amount more benefits.

Not sure if this is relevant but my system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 (2.6GHz)
4GB DDR2-800 (2x2GB)
Radeon HD4830
500W PC P&C PSU
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2009 8:14:09 PM

Windows Server 2008 comes with a big learning curve. Lots of things work differently than on XP. It's aimed at people who manage Web sites or various types of servers, not at gamers. If you want to install it and learn it because you want an IT job after college, then by all means do so. If you just want to play games, your best choices are Vista 64-bit and then XP 32-bit.

May 5, 2009 8:17:55 PM

I agree with aevm.
May 5, 2009 10:35:06 PM

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

Even if I do all of this it is still going to be hard to use? I am a Civil Engineering major so I have no interest in getting an IT job after school, lol.

After reading that it seems Server is basically Vista just without all of the crap you don't need. So it runs better than Vista. Is this false?
May 6, 2009 1:41:27 AM

the old xp key would be good for a virtual machine. move to 2008. also you can always dual boot.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2009 7:08:04 AM

Why bother with either choice when Windows 7 RC is free for download right NOW and will last for the next 13 months?
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2009 1:29:22 PM

Good point.

OK, 10 good months + 3 pretty bad months. In March it will start rebooting after every two hours, apparently. :) 
May 6, 2009 8:28:11 PM

In my home, I have 4 desktops and 2 laptops currently. The most recent with Vista, the rest Windows XP SP3. From a functional standpoint, the operating systems are the same from my perspective. What I can do on one, I can do on the others. Most of the refinements in Vista are cosmetic to the GUI and the unified drivers. I have used Vista since SP1 and haven't experienced any of the problems that I've heard and read about. DX10 is a stupid gimmick IMHO, and this is from a serious gamer.

As a users of x64 Vista HP. I would like to ask a question. What are the main selling points (top three) for Windows 7? I'm asking because I haven't tried it yet. Thanks.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2009 8:40:13 PM

It's supposed to be faster than Vista (on the same hardware, that is), more secure, less annoying, less demanding on the hardware, more compatible with old apps. And for gamers it will have DirectX 11.

Pretty hard to confirm any of these yet IMO, because the security code is not all there yet, and once it's added it will slow some things down. Also, there are no DirectX 11 cards or games yet so it's impossible to say if that's any value or not.
May 6, 2009 9:07:55 PM

aevm said:
It's supposed to be faster than Vista (on the same hardware, that is), more secure, less annoying, less demanding on the hardware, more compatible with old apps. And for gamers it will have DirectX 11.

Pretty hard to confirm any of these yet IMO, because the security code is not all there yet, and once it's added it will slow some things down. Also, there are no DirectX 11 cards or games yet so it's impossible to say if that's any value or not.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll wait until the buzz wears down and a full evaluation of this new O/S is made. Does anyone know if Vista will get DX11 support or not? That would kinda piss me off if it doesn't but a good strategy to force an upgrade if DX11 pans out to worth it.

Refinements in the next version of Windows are always welcome, just wondering if it's worth the trouble and dough if it just ends up being some relatively minor tweaks to Vista. Personally, I wouldn't pay for an upgrade from XP to Vista on any of my XP machines. I wonder if it'll be the same for current users of Vista for Win7.

The main thing is we need some real competition in this area of PC operating systems. Apple would/could be a competitor I imagine, but they would have to open their O/S up to standard PCs of course.

I've always thought someone could build a gaming operating system. Maybe the folks who own STEAM could do that. A really light weight, simple, yet powerful O/S for folks who use their computers for mostly gaming.
!