Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer keeps rebooting

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 6:35:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I have a computer that keeps rebooting at the same point.
Each time it reboots, it goes to the menu screen for Safe
Mode or Normal boot. I used Safe Mode and found when it
gets to a file named mup.sys, it stays there for about 5
seconds and system reboots. I don't want to have to reload
XP to get rid of this problem if at all possible. I have
ruled out any memory problems and modem problems.

Any help on this would be greatly apprciated.

More about : computer rebooting

Anonymous
June 7, 2004 6:54:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

install recovery console and use disable mup.sys and restart

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/febr...
<<<--- install recovery console
--
Tin,
n0bOdy
"Greg Howe" <rcs65069@ktis.net> wrote in message
news:1951401c44cd7$5aa09710$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> I have a computer that keeps rebooting at the same point.
> Each time it reboots, it goes to the menu screen for Safe
> Mode or Normal boot. I used Safe Mode and found when it
> gets to a file named mup.sys, it stays there for about 5
> seconds and system reboots. I don't want to have to reload
> XP to get rid of this problem if at all possible. I have
> ruled out any memory problems and modem problems.
>
> Any help on this would be greatly apprciated.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 10:51:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I did this and it went to NDIS.SYS and rebooted. I
disabled NDIS and it went to NTFS.SYS and rebooted. What
is going on with this computer? Will I have to reinstall
the OS?

>-----Original Message-----
>install recovery console and use disable mup.sys and
restart
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/febr...
y/vinson1.asp
><<<--- install recovery console
>--
>Tin,
>n0bOdy
>"Greg Howe" <rcs65069@ktis.net> wrote in message
>news:1951401c44cd7$5aa09710$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> I have a computer that keeps rebooting at the same
point.
>> Each time it reboots, it goes to the menu screen for
Safe
>> Mode or Normal boot. I used Safe Mode and found when it
>> gets to a file named mup.sys, it stays there for about 5
>> seconds and system reboots. I don't want to have to
reload
>> XP to get rid of this problem if at all possible. I have
>> ruled out any memory problems and modem problems.
>>
>> Any help on this would be greatly apprciated.
>
>
>.
>
August 22, 2008 10:07:34 AM

Hello All,

I really hate making replies on really old posts such as this. However, it 'erks' me when no one is helped. Of course the original person who made the thread has probably through their computer out the Window. However, as I found this thread through the search engines, I believe many others will too looking for some help. The most I can do is share my experience and explain what I did to reach a final solution to a problem similar to the authors.

I myself had the same problem when I was watching a DVD one day and my computer just went down. So, I turned it back on and it ran for about another 4-5 hours. Then it went down again. Then this process started to repeat every time at the SCAN Disk Check or at the login screen of windows if I decided to skip SCAN Disk check. I did some basic stuff thinking it was a heating issue. So I cleaned out my computer and did some comparison of the heat inside my computer before I cleaned it, and after. I didn't see much of a difference in temperature and the problem didn't resolve.

Finally, I started to do some research on it (I threw out the white flag). I came across a few pages but the one that helped me the most was this page here. I quickly learned that my computer was booting because of some kind of fatal error usually caused by new hardware. I thought this was strange being I haven't installed anything new in at least over a year. Finally after doing some more digging I was able to locate that my D-Link Wireless card was the culprit. I never heard of existing hardware going bad like that. I had that card for at least 4-5 years before it was first installed.

Anyways, I removed the card from my system and all is well now. Most experts will point this problem to new hardware, memory errors, or over heating. As you can see, this is not entirely true in all cases. So, keep this in mind if your options start running out when your trying to restore your system back to a working state.

Regards BAE23,
!