Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to open a .bkf file?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 22, 2011 4:33:33 AM

I just installed windows 7 on a brand new system and was wondering how the hell I open the .bkf file that I made while backing up my data on windows xp? :o 

Thanks.

More about : open bkf file

September 22, 2011 6:07:25 AM

sminlal said:
You have to download and install the NTBackup program from this page: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=42...


Downloaded it, went to install and...

It gives me the message "To run Windows NT backup Restore Utility, you need to turn on or install Removable Storage Management."
:??:  What does this mean?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 11:03:00 AM

or ask some one on here to email you the rquired files--would do it if i could but all my machines are on windows 7
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 11:47:49 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
or ask some one on here to email you the rquired files--would do it if i could but all my machines are on windows 7


Oh, good idea lol
Thanks for the offer.

Would anyone else be willing to help me out and email a few xp system files?

I need:

ntbackup.exe
ntmsapi.dll
vssapi.dll

They are located: c:\windows\system32
:D 

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 12:02:23 PM

thinking about it i have an old xp laptop in a cupboard somewhere-if no one has helped you out by the time i get back this evening i will send you the files
m
0
l
September 22, 2011 12:08:50 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
thinking about it i have an old xp laptop in a cupboard somewhere-if no one has helped you out by the time i get back this evening i will send you the files


Thank you :D 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 2:12:39 PM

Also Microsoft did release an update For Win7 : ( Linkie )

Quote:
This article describes the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. The utility restores backups that are made on Windows XP and on Windows Server 2003 to computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. To download the utility, go to the "How to obtain this update" section.


m
0
l
September 22, 2011 3:34:32 PM

JDFan said:
Also Microsoft did release an update For Win7 : ( Linkie )

Quote:
This article describes the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. The utility restores backups that are made on Windows XP and on Windows Server 2003 to computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. To download the utility, go to the "How to obtain this update" section.


This is a patch?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 5:36:33 PM

heres the 3 files--you can download without registering with file factory--it should download straight from my allowance

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ced23df/n/xp_files.rar
Share
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 9:03:00 PM

-Sylvan said:
This is a patch?


It is an update to the Windows 7 OS that microsoft put together after several people were asking for a way to use the back up files they had made under XP -- so MS put together this update which adds the needed files to your WIN 7 OS so that you can use your old backup files. The link I posted links to a page which details the update and tells you were to download the file and how to use it.
m
0
l
September 23, 2011 2:25:59 AM

Best answer selected by -Sylvan.
m
0
l
October 21, 2012 4:01:49 PM

-Sylvan said:
I just installed windows 7 on a brand new system and was wondering how the hell I open the .bkf file that I made while backing up my data on windows xp? :o 

Thanks.


I also installed the newest version of Windows 7 and experienced the same problem as yours. And one link helped me - http://www.compuclever.com/products/pc-tuneup-maestro/l...

I hope this will help you too.

Thanks
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 4:28:47 AM

First you check C:\Program Files\NTbackup folder. In these folder you found 3 files
1. C:Windows\System32\Ntbackup.exe<br/>
2. C:Windows\System32\Ntmsapi.dll<br/>
3. C:Windows\System32\Vssapi.dll
<br/>
if not found or corrupted or missing then you can download and extracting ntbackup5.cab file from you windows CD or Microsoft Site. Then you install and run Ntbackup tool.


For more information related to restoring corrupted/damage backup file, you just read following post: http://msbkfrecovery.blogspot.com
http://diskdatarecovery.jimdo.com/2012/02/06/use-backup-files-to-avoid-sudden-data-loss/
m
0
l
May 12, 2013 3:00:02 AM

-Sylvan said:
I just installed windows 7 on a brand new system and was wondering how the hell I open the .bkf file that I made while backing up my data on windows xp? :o 

Thanks.


m
0
l
November 7, 2013 12:38:17 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
heres the 3 files--you can download without registering with file factory--it should download straight from my allowance

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ced23df/n/xp_files.rar


Hello
Just having the same problem, and wondered if you would be happy to make those 3 files available again so that I can download them and use my backup?
Thanks
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2013 12:44:42 PM

Something else how 2 year old threads continue to help.
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 5:37:06 AM

-Sylvan said:
JDFan said:
Also Microsoft did release an update For Win7 : ( Linkie )

Quote:
This article describes the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. The utility restores backups that are made on Windows XP and on Windows Server 2003 to computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. To download the utility, go to the "How to obtain this update" section.


This is a patch?


I went to this link but it doesn't instal this on Windows 7 ... so I am stuffed. I have absolutely no idea how to extract these .bkf files that i have on my external hdd onto windows 7

m
0
l
January 31, 2014 12:08:41 AM

Luke610 said:
-Sylvan said:
JDFan said:
Also Microsoft did release an update For Win7 : ( Linkie )

Quote:
This article describes the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. The utility restores backups that are made on Windows XP and on Windows Server 2003 to computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. To download the utility, go to the "How to obtain this update" section.


This is a patch?


I went to this link but it doesn't instal this on Windows 7 ... so I am stuffed. I have absolutely no idea how to extract these .bkf files that i have on my external hdd onto windows 7


January 2014....

I have exactly the same problem from a server2003 .bkf file. Again the Microsoft 'fix' 974674 does NOT install under Win 7 Pro. and legally MS will drop all XP related problems in April......

m
0
l
June 19, 2014 5:17:10 AM

Hi Sylvan I just upgraded my DELL INSPIRION laptop from WINDOWS XP to Windows 7 (32 bit); I used he files and folders transfer wizard that comes with the WINDOWS XP installation disk to reinstall everything that I had backed up on an external HD. Everything transferred without a hitch and wound up in the right places. For me none of the forum discussions worked, probably because I used a later edition version of Windows 7.
Good luck
-Sylvan said:
I just installed windows 7 on a brand new system and was wondering how the hell I open the .bkf file that I made while backing up my data on windows xp? :o 

Thanks.


m
0
l
!