Closed

How to open a .bkf file?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • How To
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
September 22, 2011 4:33:33 AM

I just installed windows 7 on a brand new system and was wondering how the hell I open the .bkf file that I made while backing up my data on windows xp? :o 

Thanks.

More about : open bkf file

September 22, 2011 6:07:25 AM

sminlal said:
You have to download and install the NTBackup program from this page: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=42...

Downloaded it, went to install and...

It gives me the message "To run Windows NT backup Restore Utility, you need to turn on or install Removable Storage Management."
:??:  What does this mean?
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 11:03:00 AM

or ask some one on here to email you the rquired files--would do it if i could but all my machines are on windows 7
Score
September 22, 2011 11:47:49 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
or ask some one on here to email you the rquired files--would do it if i could but all my machines are on windows 7

Oh, good idea lol
Thanks for the offer.

Would anyone else be willing to help me out and email a few xp system files?

I need:

ntbackup.exe
ntmsapi.dll
vssapi.dll

They are located: c:\windows\system32
:D 

Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 12:02:23 PM

thinking about it i have an old xp laptop in a cupboard somewhere-if no one has helped you out by the time i get back this evening i will send you the files
Score
September 22, 2011 12:08:50 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
thinking about it i have an old xp laptop in a cupboard somewhere-if no one has helped you out by the time i get back this evening i will send you the files

Thank you :D 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 2:12:39 PM

Also Microsoft did release an update For Win7 : ( Linkie )

Quote:
This article describes the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. The utility restores backups that are made on Windows XP and on Windows Server 2003 to computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. To download the utility, go to the "How to obtain this update" section.

Score
September 22, 2011 3:34:32 PM

JDFan said:

Quote:
This article describes the Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. The utility restores backups that are made on Windows XP and on Windows Server 2003 to computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. To download the utility, go to the "How to obtain this update" section.

This is a patch?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2011 9:03:00 PM

-Sylvan said:
This is a patch?

It is an update to the Windows 7 OS that microsoft put together after several people were asking for a way to use the back up files they had made under XP -- so MS put together this update which adds the needed files to your WIN 7 OS so that you can use your old backup files. The link I posted links to a page which details the update and tells you were to download the file and how to use it.
Score
September 23, 2011 2:25:59 AM

Best answer selected by -Sylvan.
Score
May 12, 2013 3:00:02 AM

-Sylvan said:
I just installed windows 7 on a brand new system and was wondering how the hell I open the .bkf file that I made while backing up my data on windows xp? :o 

Thanks.

Score
November 7, 2013 12:38:17 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
heres the 3 files--you can download without registering with file factory--it should download straight from my allowance

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ced23df/n/xp_files.rar

Hello
Just having the same problem, and wondered if you would be happy to make those 3 files available again so that I can download them and use my backup?
Thanks
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2013 12:44:42 PM

Something else how 2 year old threads continue to help.
Score
November 16, 2013 5:37:06 AM

-Sylvan said:
JDFan said:

Quote:

This is a patch?

I went to this link but it doesn't instal this on Windows 7 ... so I am stuffed. I have absolutely no idea how to extract these .bkf files that i have on my external hdd onto windows 7

Score
January 31, 2014 12:08:41 AM

Luke610 said:
-Sylvan said:
JDFan said:

Quote:

This is a patch?

I went to this link but it doesn't instal this on Windows 7 ... so I am stuffed. I have absolutely no idea how to extract these .bkf files that i have on my external hdd onto windows 7

January 2014....

I have exactly the same problem from a server2003 .bkf file. Again the Microsoft 'fix' 974674 does NOT install under Win 7 Pro. and legally MS will drop all XP related problems in April......

Score
June 19, 2014 5:17:10 AM

Hi Sylvan I just upgraded my DELL INSPIRION laptop from WINDOWS XP to Windows 7 (32 bit); I used he files and folders transfer wizard that comes with the WINDOWS XP installation disk to reinstall everything that I had backed up on an external HD. Everything transferred without a hitch and wound up in the right places. For me none of the forum discussions worked, probably because I used a later edition version of Windows 7.
Good luck
-Sylvan said:

Thanks.

Score
August 20, 2014 11:51:29 PM

14004949,0,1742732 said:
BKF files are the backup files are created in order to save crucial data lying with the original documents. Backup files are created using-Backup utility program that usually comes with all versions of Windows except the Windows Vista and its later variants.

To know more about: How to recover corrupt BKF file ? visit: http://sysinfotools.com/blog/corrupt-bkf-file-repair-re... [/quotemsg
]
After you load Windows 7, insert the old Windows XP disk in the floppy drive; Don't worry; it will not reinstall Windows XP. It does however contain a file transfer utility which will unbundle your backed up files and install them on your Windows 7 O/S
Score