Best Third Party Drivers for ATI Radeon 4800 Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkZephyr

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Can anyone tell me what they think is the best third party that would be compatible with an ATI Radeon 4870 card? The latest Omega Drivers are from last year, and they do not seem to be compatible with my card, as they cannot seem to find it when I try to intall them. Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

I like atitraytools (ATT). I use it to downclock my X1900XT when not gaming, and I set it automatically overclock when a game is loaded. It's not a driver, but an alternative to CCC.

I also use it to set "Flip Queue Size" to 1 which helps with mouse delays in Fallout 3.

DarkZephyr

Distinguished
May 25, 2009

Because the official ATI drivers don't seem to work well with some of my games, such as Fallout 3. Plus I am hoping to cure the incessant crashing that I am experiencing.

Thank you, I will indeed give that a try. :)

Are you meaning actual drivers or maybe you just mean you want an alternative to the catalyst control centre?

If you want one then go for atitraytools, don't know why you would though.

I am meaning actual drivers, such as can be found at the OmegaDrivers.net site. Unfortunately, that site hasn't been updated since last year. Thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try. :)

By the way, since you are a Fallout 3 player, do you have any advice on getting rid of stubborn pixelation? My game had been running beautifully, graphically speaking, until I updated to the latest ATI drivers, and then it all went to visual hades. In the past, setting the resolution to 1024x768 fixed that issue, and if any further action was needed, movingsome sliders in CCC helped, but NOTHING helps now, and even downgrading back to the older drivers hasn't helped. Thanks again! :)

DarkZephyr

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Yes, I have heard that as well, but unfortunately, he has not updated them in a very long time, and they do not seem to be compatible with my particular card. I very badly wanted to use his drivers. :(

DarkZephyr

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Thanks, AKM880. :)

Zipzoomflyhigh, perhaps you are correct. To be honest, I am very tempted to just break down and buy a new machine all together. I had been toying with the idea of switching back to nVidia and getting a new card, but I had LEFT nVidia because the drivers nVidia used kept giving me the Blue Screen of Death. But either way, these days, you can get entirely new PCs for only a few hundred dollars more than a single graphics card can cost, so maybe I should just go the extra distance and get a whole new PC (which means a few months of saving a little here and there). Maybe its just that my PC itself hates graphics cards. ::shrug:: I think I want to get a PC that has been specifically built and tested for gaming. Anyway, wish me luck!

bloads

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Looks like he's starting to get the omega project going again. :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.