No signal input with 4870

simplyderp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I recently re-seated my video card after doing some wire management. When I turned the computer on, the 3 red lights on the 4870 flashed 3 times and there was no signal input, but the three green lights and spinning fan suggest that it is functioning properly. Same result in the other PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot. I did pull the graphics card out when the motherboard light was on (computer off), but I thought the power supply circuit needs to be closed in order to ground myself. I want to RMA the video card, but I'm hesitant it might be some other problem that I'm overlooking (or even worse, a bad motherboard but good video card).

I know it POSTed and booted Windows 7 by using Logmein, a remote desktop control utility, from my laptop. In Logmein, there are artifacts such as incorrect colors and graphics not even showing up, like the minimize/expand/exit buttons (this doesn't happen when using Logmein through HD3300). Windows has forced the resolution at 640x480 and CCC says that either the drivers have failed or I don't have an ATI video card installed. Rivatuner doesn't detect the video card anymore. Device manager says that the device has malfunctioned, but at least detects it as a 4800 series video card. How did it POST? No signal input on monitor connected to computer.

If the computer booted into windows (although there's no signal input to monitor and a load of errors), does that mean the video card is fine, but maybe there is a problem with my motherboard? What else can I do to troubleshoot? I'm going to run memtest86+ overnight if that helps and take everything apart and connect only the bare essentials.

Specs:

Phenom II X3 720
G.Skill 2x2GB 1333 DD3 @ 8-8-8-21
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX
SAPPHIRE 4870 1GB heat pipe version
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA
Sony Optiarc 24x DVD burner
Antec 300
Corsair 650TX 52A on 12V rail
CTX PL9 17" CRT (18-19 years old)

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
PCI-E x16 2.0 HD 4870? With that motherboard this should be fine. What PCI-E port are you using? Make sure the card is in the PCI-E x16 slot closets to the CPU. AMD 790GX should be fine. if no picture, reseat your RAM. Try only one RAM stick. With 2 slots for video cards on there, the second PCI-E x16 slot would work at only x8. Update your BIOS if thats available. BIOS should not be the problem here. Check for physical marks on the card, if you think its bad. Any sort of burn\brown marks is very bad. Try a different LCD monitor, or connection if you can. DVI,RGB,HDMI,etc.

simplyderp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Thank you for your attention and help ^^

Yes. Three different monitors (1 CRT, 1 VGA LCD, 1 DVI LCD). Yes.

My motherboard has 2 PCI-E ports that will both run individually at x16. Reseated RAM. Tried with only one RAM stick. Doesn't the x8 only apply if I'm running CrossFire (specs say both are 16x capable). There is no visible physical damage. Tried three different monitors.

---

I ran memtest86+ last night, for about 12-14 hours. I got 2 errors on the 10th pass. It also recognizes my motherboard as a K8 chipset Athlon processor (lmao), no L3 cache, incorrect L2+L1 cache, and detects wrong memory timings. Could this be contributing to my problems? Could there be something wrong with the memory controller on my CPU? I did OC the CPU by increasing multiplier to 16x, but I didn't adjust voltage and it ran at 23C.

This is making me QQ. I'll test the video card on another computer ASAP tomorrow since the deadline that Newegg needs to receive the hardware by is June 5.

What do you guys think so far with this information? RAM, video card, bios, and/or pcie motherboard failure?

* Computer boots fine with HD 3300

mhugi

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Based on the title of this thread, I am having the same problem.

Running Win Vista 64-bit, Core 2 Duo E6550, Evga nForce 680i LT mobo.

I just purchased an MSI 4870 1gb. It has one VGA, one DVI and one HDMI port on it.

I have it hooked up to a 22 inch LCD (main) and a 19" LCD.

I used to have both hooked up to dual dvi's when I ran an 8800gt and they ran fine.

The card runs great except for the DVI port. When I plug my DVI cable from either flat panel to the DVI port on the 4870 I get no signal no matter what I do.

I am running Catalyst 9.5 and I can't understand why I can not get this DVI to work.

I have checked the "Reduce DVI frequency on High-resolution displays" and it does nothing. I also checked the "Alternate DVI operational mode" and both together also doing nothing.

I have also tried 59, 60 and 75 MHz; they do nothing either

However if I use a DVI-VGA converter and use the VGA connection on the LCD it works ok on either at 59, 60, and 75hz, looking the best at 75hz.

Eventually I would like to have the 22 hookup with HDMI and the 19 with the DVI. But I need to get this DVI working....

Does ANYONE have a fix for this????