Feb 10, 2010
guys my specs are:-

XFX ati/amd radeon HD 5830 1gb Graphics

ASUS republic of gamers Crosshair IV formula motherboard

AMD phenom II X4 970 Black edition 3.5Ghz processor

Corsair xms3 ddr3 4GB kit (2x2GB) @ 1333Mhz RAM

A Dell E176FP Monitor Max resolution of 1280X1024

Running Windows 7 ultimate 64-Bit with latest graphics drivers

this Mobo has an automatic OC button, when pressed it automaticly OC my processor from 3.5Ghz to 3.79Ghz but it aslo automaticly downclocks my RAM, i think this simply defeats the purpose of OC'ing in the first place (i even get less score on 3DMark 11) , so to overcome the dilema, i noted down the bus speed and core voltages from CPU-Z, then turned off the automatic OC. then i manually applied the voltages and bus speeds.

the result was 3.79Ghz processing and RAM frequency increase to around 1440Mhz (also got a higher score on 3DMark 11)
i think its stable since my system doesnt crash or hang (even played crysis 2 BETA on hardcore and 1280x1024 for a few minutes with no problem)

BUT

one problem is its temperature as im running on stock cooling

as soon as i started up prime95 it didnt take even a minute to reach 70C+ (the processor)

in 3DMark 11 i noticed the temp of the processor at 60c

in crysis 2 and Metro 2033 ( games which i feel go heavy on processors as much as graphics) the CPU temps rose to about 55C.

on idle my processor goes at 43/42C
on idle my graphics goes at 40/39C

My Question is, Do i need to be concerned about my CPU tmeps? , what are the operating limits of this CPU? could i overclock a better way?
is it a MUST that i get after-market cooling? or should i just remove the overclock and go back to stock settings?

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Ok heres the situation,

i went into the bios and increase the bus speed a little higher so as to get 3.8Ghz at same voltage and did so with no problems

i also decided to overclock my radeon card to 900Mhz core clock, and 1300Mhz memory clock

so far all seemed stable, expect for prime95 for my cpu

tested GTA IV, Battlefield bad co. 2, Metro 2033 (highest settings)

the temperatures were pretty much the similar in all the games, on load

my cpu never got higher than 59C/58C

my graphics card mostly maxed at 70C-77C

to aid my cpu's situation, im getting the Xigmatek Gaia sd1283 for cooling it

as for my graphics card, i'll leave it the way it is since i think its still within operating temperatures but plan to return to stock settings once i
crossfire it with a 5850.

what do you guys think about my temperatures, im sure the xigmatek cooler will be able to sustain my overclocked cpu at 3.83Ghz

nevets907

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
alot of it has to do with the angle of the fan on your cooler and the direction of the airflow through your case sometimes.. i draw air in from underneath and out through the top and the rest comes out the front. also, i thought id let u kno that i have the same exact processor as you,.. its a pretty nice one in my opinion.. but ive been running it at just under 4 GHz for about a month now and no real issues came from it unless i play doom 3 (go fig) and im getting temp readings that say remote 1, 2 and3 ... temp 1 2 and 3 and i dont know which one is the cpu. what are you using to get a good cpu temp reading?

as far as my overclock i have the multiplier at 19.0 and the bus speed at 208. im pretty sure i kept the ht link multiplier somewhre around 2000 by reducing it and my ram is coming out at something like 1380mhz... and let me know if this link works and helps any. its my specs

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Well thanx for the reply,

as i said, as of current evrythin in my system is on stock cooling, you should be able to see my system specs,

i already posted as to how i overclocked my cpu on my motherboard the first time but this time im going to give more info of the OC

first of all i the only thing i touched in my bios was the cpu bus speed and core voltage, nothing else.(first overclock)

my 1st overclock , i set the bus speed 218, i did not change the multiplier (left it @ 17.5) and upped the voltage to 1.45, THATS it i did not change anything else, the RAM clocks went up automaticly (i dont know if its this motherboard in particular or all mother board that do this) so it went to 3.8Ghz and RAMS to aroun 1440Mhz.

my 2nd overclock, i did try to overclock in a different way (the way im sure alot more people do) by only changing the multiplier until it went to a verylittle over
4Ghz, this time the RAM clocks did not go up , core voltage was set to auto. i did not change anything else.

When i compared my 3Dmark 11 scores if saw that my scores were higher on my first overclock so i went back to my first overclock (plus i didnt feel comfortable running 4Ghz on stock cooling)

well im going to get the Xigmatec Gaia sd1283 cooler,(best recommended cpu cooler under 50$ on tomshardware, check the review, newegg now has it at 35$) it should help. i use the argus monitor software to mointor the temps.

I hope this helps you, also if you got any more info for me let me know.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Crossfire is made for twice the same card, you cannot crossfire a 5830 and a 5850.
And with your resolution, you don't even need an other card.

To be honest 77 degrees is hot.
Crank the fan speed up a little.

nevets907

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
ok so i tried that argus monitor and im shocked at what i found.. when i play an hd game my temp slowly climbs up to just under 80 degrees. but it hasnt given me any freezes or crashes during crysys(except the end) and none during red faction guerilla with the res at 1920x1080, my point is .. i can play for hours and not crash... so why is 78 degrees considered so harsh? btw my cooler is pretty much a stack of fins with a fan on the back of it, its called the OCZ Vendetta, its not stock but i have to say with these results im not exactly getting my 50 bucks out of it. lol

nevets907

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
hello again... okay so i remember the man with the phenom said he had an oc dial.. well me too .. the motherboard i am running is the MSI 790fx gd70. if you have a similar board then i have made a wonderful discovery xD lol okay... so i went into my bios.. (hit delete over & over right after pushing the power button) then into the cell menu.. and changed the following options: Unlock cpu core > enabled,,,,Advanced clock calibration > enabled and then LIKE MAGIC i could play doom3 at 63 degrees.
i think this may solve the issue... it did for me and my thanks to you :D

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
This message is intended for abswindows7 ,

You are an A$$hole

how can you tell me that a radeon 5830 cant be crossfired with a 5850 while their in THE SAME GPU FAMILY.
that the whole point of crossfiring two cards. This is not Nvidia.they are all in the 5800 series.

I am going to take a sapphire toxic 1gb 5850 and crossfire it with my 5830 and it will work!!

please i need people like abswindows7 to have a healthy arguement.

any feedback for me, dont be shy to let me know.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
this message is intended for abswindows7 ,

the radeon 5830 can be crossfired with a 5850 because they are in the same family.it will not be as good as 2 5850's but they can crossfire.

as of now im getting a sapphire toxic radeon 5850 of 1gb.

please tell me why the cant be crossfired.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
this message is intended for abswindows7 ,

the radeon 5830 can be crossfired with a 5850 because they are in the same family.it will not be as good as 2 5850's but they can crossfire.

as of now im getting a sapphire toxic radeon 5850 of 1gb.

please tell me why the cant be crossfired.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
do you guys think the xigmatek gaia sd1283 cooler will do the job of keeping my cpu under 60C when oc'd to 3.8Ghz on load?

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Yes I am an asshole, at least I'm not poor.
just FYI, the 5850 will run @ 5830 core speed, I'd rather get rid of that 5830 and buy a better card with the money.
Crossfire is an option but it's rarely the best solution.

nevets907

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
for nameon ... i have a already crossfired machine..its two radeon 4890 cyclone's 1gb. they said to me that any gpu within the same series may be crossfired but the only thing is that the load balancing process that happens will automatically put a certain percentage more load on the better card.. i love it how it is.. the thing i noticed is that during crysis you get 4 lines in the screen without v sync on, so the vsync can be tricky so yeah i would certainly reccomend saving up for a 2gb card all at once but this crossfire method aint all bad. and if u missed what i said, nameon you should really try unlocking your cpu core and turning on advanced clock calibration. you may be able to run your games at a lower temperature already on stock cooling cause after i did that i was able to run mine at 3952.2 MHz, at 70 degrees under load. but im starting to think that a phenom x4 907 BE isnt going to run a game at just 60 degrees. it seems far fetched. you shold shoot for 65 at the least.

carolsmith

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
An SSD is a storage product that serves the function of a hard drive, but it doesn't use magnetized rotating platters to store data. Instead, SSDs utilize NAND flash memory, which introduces a plethora of advantages, together with a few potential caveats.

for more details plz visit

parking sensors

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
for nevets907

well you and i dont have the same motherboard and so i dont have the option of turning on advanced core calibration, maybe my mobo has used another term for it, and by unlocking my cpu core do you mean unclocking the cpu multiplier or the number of cores, because i tried unlocking any potential disabled cores in my cpu but no dice , it only has 4 cores.and i also said that unlocking my multiplier did not up my ram frequencies so both ideas are duds for me.

currently i have downclocked my cpu to stock 3.5Ghz but will up it once i get my xigmatek gaia,

also i noticed that on tomshardware the load tmeps of 1gb hd 5830 were at 78C while my card tops at 75C and there im using stock cooling, i have overclocked
to 1300Mhz memory clock and 900Mhz core clock, and i live in east africa (hot)

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
guys i need help fast,

the choice is one of three cards,

a powercolor radeon hd 5870 1gb PCS+

a sapphire radeon hd 5870 1bg vapor-x

or a gigabyte gv-r587OC-1gd radeon hd 5870 i gb.

now my pc chassis has exactly 11.5 inches for the graphics cards,

the powercolor and sapphire cards are shorter than reference 5870 but thier power connectors are
on the back end of the card not on top

the gigabyte card has power connectors on top but im feeling weary about its quality

the sapphire and powercolor cards measure 10.5 inches leaving me with on 1 inch for the power connector on the back end.

should i go for the gigabyte card or shoot for the sapphire/powercolor card?

nevets907

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
i was told once that sapphire is the closest thing to an actual radeon.. and radeon is the only real good brand name card out there, besides nvidia. id go with sapphire

nevets907

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
powercolor could be better tho... idunno much about it. lol but anyway ... to the guy that was telling me 70 degrees is way too hot... you was right.. i needed another fan on my heat sink... i just made a home-made push pull config and dropped my temp below 60 during full loads now. OMFG. why didnt somebody think of this already for this model of cooler? i took the stock phenom fan off its heat sink and put it on the top for the "pull" fan and i heard the rpms on it triple then saw my temp fall. wow.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
dude, its ebay meaning 2nd hand items, besides im in africa and im getting stuff from the uk,
and i already chose the gigabyte one because i cant risk my card being too long and not being able to plug in the power connectors (the other models have connectors on the back requiring more space, but the gigabyte one has connectors on top of the card).