Heatsink for 2500k in a antec 300 case

staind

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hi, I am currently using the default heat-sink that came with the 2500k. I currently run IDLE at 34 degrees Celsius, Which I think is pretty good for standard heat sink.

My question is, I would like to Overclock the CPU. I have the asrock extreme4 mobo and it has preset overclocking settings in bios. I would like to know which Heat-Sink I should get for my cpu/case setup? I really do not want to take the motherboard out to install any kind of weird brackets. I would prefer to just take the old one off and put the new bracket on without removing any of the computer components.

Any ideas on a more simple good heatsink?

Thanks!

Solution
I run my i5-2500k to 4.4GHz @ 1.284v, getting 41°C at an ambient temp of 70°F. I only tried once - and not very hard - to get 4.6GHz but it wasn't stable. But then I left everything on Auto and didn't play with any voltages either. 4.4GHz, for me, is blazing fast enough without shortening the life of my CPU.

Cooler is better for longevity, and I am partial to Noctua because their quality is second to none, their fans come with 6 year warranties (!), and their coolers are always ranked at the top. They are worth every penny. So....

I suggest either the NH-D14 (mine), or a smart new space-saving model they have; the NH-C14.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
You don't mention how much of an overclock you are planning for, but let's assume you will - even if you don't believe so at this time - develop a bit of OC lust as you progress. The Hyper212 that Davcon suggested fits your needs while mitigating your concerns about MB removal.

That said, I would encourage you to overcome your fears about MB removal. It is a task that will benefit you to become comfortable with.
Then, you could make a worthwhile investment and install a larger, vastly superior, larger cooler that will be quieter and futureproof your cooling needs. Thermalight, Noctua, Prolimatech, all make coolers that will fit your Asrock and fit in your Antec 300 (I have one too).
Quality aftermarket coolers that don't necessitate removal of the motherboard to install a backing plate may be convenient, but they stress the board in ways that I have never been comfortable with.
C'mon, you can do it!

staind

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Yes the case has a cut-out. I checked out that heat-sink it looks nice. Are there any other recommendations? This one seems to be 120, are there any closer to 160 as you stated above?

staind

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

Well since it has the back cutout I guess there is no need to remove the motherboard now right? haha. =) Since that is the case, and you have a similar setup, which one would you recommend? I would probably like to take it between 4.2 - 4.6ghz, Whatever the max is without switching to liquid cooled.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I run my i5-2500k to 4.4GHz @ 1.284v, getting 41°C at an ambient temp of 70°F. I only tried once - and not very hard - to get 4.6GHz but it wasn't stable. But then I left everything on Auto and didn't play with any voltages either. 4.4GHz, for me, is blazing fast enough without shortening the life of my CPU.

Cooler is better for longevity, and I am partial to Noctua because their quality is second to none, their fans come with 6 year warranties (!), and their coolers are always ranked at the top. They are worth every penny. So....

I suggest either the NH-D14 (mine), or a smart new space-saving model they have; the NH-C14.

Solution