1GB Ge Force GTS 250 vs. 1GB Radeon HD 4850

Hi,
I'm trying to choose between these cards for my HP 9600 with Intel Core i7-920. I am a casual gamer, but I want my games to run smoothly. I also want to take in longevity. Will I be able to add on another of these cards in a year or two to help my computer handle new games?
11 answers Last reply
More about force radeon 4850
  1. The cards are about equal in performance. If your MB supports crossfire select HD4850. If MB supports SLI select GTS250.
  2. Sorry for my lack of computer-savvy! How do I tell what my motherboard supports?
  3. @ Rolli59, his computer is a OEM HP if I'm not mistaken I doubt that a HP computer would support stuff like CF or SLI
  4. I suck at this stuff. Honestly, I don't know what I am doing. Do you guys know what motherboard I might have? I can't find it. By the way, I haven't purchased the computer yet, so I can make changes if it is possible to change the motherboard.
  5. Where are you buying the computer from, then? The seller should provide you with all the specs. Just copy and paste. :)
  6. Okay, sorry.
    This is what I have from the HP website where I am creating the computer. Hope this helps. Please let me know whatever else you need. I'm trying to create as cheap a computer as possible while still having good performance.

Components
    • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 processor (2.66GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache with QPI Technology)
    • FREE UPGRADE! 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3x2048] from 4GB
    • FREE UPGRADE! 640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 500GB
    • 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS [DVI, VGA, HDMI]
    • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    • Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
    • Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
    • 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, audio
  7. Oh, and I was going to upgrade the graphics card... hence, the question. Disregard that.
  8. Okay, I just got off the phone with an HP sales rep. and he said that the motherboard DOES have SLI capabilities. So, I guess I will go with the GTS 250.
    It was very interesting because this is the first rep. from a computer company that was American! I guess it's because it was a sales representative. :D
  9. Do you have a link for this HP desktop, I'm interested :lol:
  10. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=Performance+and+entertainment&series_name=m9600t_series

I did a lot of research to find the right computer that fits my budget and gaming desires. I think this is a good one, especially for the price.
  11. Monitor resolution is critical

both those cards are marginal with a 22inch lcd and theres no head room at all with a 24 inch
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Hewlett Packard Graphics