Sign in with
Your question

Would it be smart to buy an SSD now?

Last response: in Storage
December 22, 2010 9:21:16 PM

Hey guys,

I was just wondering now with the Christmas sales coming up in a few days, do you think that SSD's are going to be worth buying? I maybe should ask this in the hard drive section rather than the SSD but it may be biased either way. I'm running Seagate Barracuda's in RAID 0 right now, would I be able to notice a difference, and if so, how significant? What advantages have some of you seen from using SSD?

Thanks.

A.G

More about : smart buy ssd

December 23, 2010 2:53:56 AM

Well I mean just a SSD for booting into Windows, nothing that large, 60GB for about 80 bucks. Is there any significant speed difference I'll notice from RAID 0?
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2010 10:35:27 AM

Only difference will be your boot time.
I would wait for 2 months when the new gen SSD come out.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 23, 2010 12:53:11 PM

It is smart to buy an ssd now. In the context of Christmas sales the ssd sales come and go. Buy the one you want on the sale you want when you want. Clear?

The ssd will make windows feel 'snappier'. Fast boot time and great computing. We are poised to receive the next generation of ssds in the new year so... it may be smart to wait for that.

But current ssds (especially sandforce based drives) are a quantum leap in storage technology over spinners. Worst case scenario is you spend $80, you enjoy great computing, and a better mouse trap comes out. You spent $80 for some short term enjoyment. Best case scenario, the new drives come out with very little upgrade for the average gamer and you continue to enjoy a top of the line product for $80 until the next big thing arrives or 1tb ssds come down in price to where your storage Raid 0 can be replaced too.
m
l
!