Clock Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovetolearn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hello,

I am new to the world of computers, currently studying for the A+ Exam. I used the CPU-Z on my computer. It told me that my computer had an internal speed of 798.2MHZ. The clock multiplier was 8x. Does that mean that my computer should be running at 6.0GHZ?

Chipbuster

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Unless you're running the computer on some insane cooling system, then it should be on fire right about now. I'm assuming that it's not, and thus that something is off (either you're reading the actual clock and the multiplier, or that CPU-Z is wrong)

lovetolearn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I agree. That's why i didn't understand. In addition my System Properties only show a maximum speed of 2.3GHz.
What do you mean when you say that I am reading the actual clock and the multiplier?

lovetolearn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

I understand the concept of the internal speed being 800MHz. However, what I do not understand is how come the CPU-z tells me that my CPU can run at a maximum of 6GHz when System Properties tells me its only 2.3GHz.

Is the CPU-Z wrong? From what I have heard, it is pretty accurate.

take a screen shot, also there are clock speeds, which in this case is 100mhz. It is multiplied by 8 to get 800mhz

cbag

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
CPUZ shows what speed the computer is currently at (which in your case is ~800Mhz).

My guess is you aren't running any programs so the CPU has downclocked in order to save energy. If you leave CPUZ open and run a prime95 it will probably go up to the regular clock and multiplier

lovetolearn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
cpuzle.jpg

You may have to open the image in a new browser.

Chipbuster

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
AAAAaaaand amuffin gets to it right before me. That's what I meant when I said "actual clock" (core speed) by the multiplier. I put it pretty badly though :(

Is an 8.0x multiplier normal for an intel chip? I've only used AMD so far, but I don't think SpeedStep works by altering the multiplier....and that would imply that your CPU is capped at 800MHz ish

It is at 8x because it is a laptop cpu that downclocks itself to save battery life.

lovetolearn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Sorry I been out for a few days. Thanks for all the help. Just so that I am clear on things. CPU-Z displays the current clock speed of the CPU. On laptops, the CPU downgrades the clock speed in order to save power. Thus, that is why CPU-Z is reading 800MHZ instead of 2.4 GHZ (the advertised clock speed for my unit). Is this correct?

yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.