HD abnormality/missing "space"

anduin1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
So I just got my new PC and notice a strange abnormality in terms of HD space

http://img818.imageshack.us/f/34210326.jpg

is the overall size of the primary drive, for a HD that only has windows which is about 16-17 gb, there seems to be another 16 GB missing in action

http://img715.imageshack.us/f/hdsize.jpg/

In this second pic, I opened up the C drive and displayed the size of the files on there. I forgot to show the hidden files but when I did, the total memory usage on the C drive was 17 gb rather than the 15.2 shown in the pic.

So now I'm trying to figure out what could possibly be taking up space and where?

Solution
Check the recycle bin. Remember that there's a separate recycle bin for every account on the system, so check all of them.

System restore points can also consume quite a lot of space. To see how much space is being used, do this:

Start -> right-click "Computer", select "Properties"

Click "System Protection" in the left pane.

Click your "C:" drive under "protection settings" so that it's highlighted, then click the "Configure" button.

You'll see how much space is currently used and you'll also see a slider which you can use to adjust the maximum amount of space allows for restore points.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Windows index files, backups of system files (etc.)... if you search the relevant Windows section of this forum (I'm guessing its Windows 7) you will find a number of threads regarding vanishing drive space.

Check the recycle bin. Remember that there's a separate recycle bin for every account on the system, so check all of them.

System restore points can also consume quite a lot of space. To see how much space is being used, do this:

Start -> right-click "Computer", select "Properties"

Click "System Protection" in the left pane.

Click your "C:" drive under "protection settings" so that it's highlighted, then click the "Configure" button.

You'll see how much space is currently used and you'll also see a slider which you can use to adjust the maximum amount of space allows for restore points.

Solution

anduin1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Thats perfect sminlal, about 6 gb in there alone. I have no big issues with some space being "missing", I just prefer to know how it's being used. Since the drive is a SSD, I've only installed things where I know faster load times will benefit me, everything else on the e:/ drive.

Thanks for your answer though.