HD abnormality/missing "space"

Tags:
  • HD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 23, 2010 12:23:08 AM

So I just got my new PC and notice a strange abnormality in terms of HD space

http://img818.imageshack.us/f/34210326.jpg

is the overall size of the primary drive, for a HD that only has windows which is about 16-17 gb, there seems to be another 16 GB missing in action

http://img715.imageshack.us/f/hdsize.jpg/

In this second pic, I opened up the C drive and displayed the size of the files on there. I forgot to show the hidden files but when I did, the total memory usage on the C drive was 17 gb rather than the 15.2 shown in the pic.

So now I'm trying to figure out what could possibly be taking up space and where?

More about : abnormality missing space

December 27, 2010 3:49:40 AM

bump
m
l
a b G Storage
December 27, 2010 6:04:24 AM

Windows index files, backups of system files (etc.)... if you search the relevant Windows section of this forum (I'm guessing its Windows 7) you will find a number of threads regarding vanishing drive space.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
December 27, 2010 6:39:14 AM

Check the recycle bin. Remember that there's a separate recycle bin for every account on the system, so check all of them.

System restore points can also consume quite a lot of space. To see how much space is being used, do this:

Start -> right-click "Computer", select "Properties"

Click "System Protection" in the left pane.

Click your "C:" drive under "protection settings" so that it's highlighted, then click the "Configure" button.

You'll see how much space is currently used and you'll also see a slider which you can use to adjust the maximum amount of space allows for restore points.
December 27, 2010 10:31:57 PM

Thats perfect sminlal, about 6 gb in there alone. I have no big issues with some space being "missing", I just prefer to know how it's being used. Since the drive is a SSD, I've only installed things where I know faster load times will benefit me, everything else on the e:/ drive.

Thanks for your answer though.
m
l
December 27, 2010 10:32:06 PM

Best answer selected by anduin1.
m
l
!