Your question

My browser crashes when I try to download images

Tags:
  • Download
  • Browsers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
October 7, 2011 5:29:46 PM

My browser crashes when I try to download images or links. This happens in firefox and explorer.
What can I do to fix this problem?

More about : browser crashes download images

October 7, 2011 6:03:55 PM

jfaulconer3 said:
My browser crashes when I try to download images or links. This happens in firefox and explorer.
What can I do to fix this problem?

Possible your system is infected, preventing you from downloading. Run your AV Scans and Malware/spyware scanners.
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:15:20 PM

I ran the McAfee virus scan and it turned up nothing.
Do you have any suggestions on what AV scans I should use?
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2011 6:25:24 PM

Have you tried cleaning the browsers' caches?
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:28:33 PM

How do I clean the browsers' caches?
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:28:44 PM

IMO, MCAFEE Sucks !

However, you should run only ONE AV Program. There are good, free ones out there; AVAST, AVG, Avira for example.

Also one of the best Malware detectors is Malwarebytes.
They have a free scanner, you can use to remove infections, and a PRO version which runs realtime alongside your AV to give extra layer of protection. The Pro version is only $25, for a lifetime license (no annual renewals)

I use AVAST 6.0 and Malwarebytes Pro, and no, I do not work for either Corporation ! Hope this helps.
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:30:26 PM

jfaulconer3 said:

internet options delete history etc
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:40:30 PM

jfaulconer3 said:

Clean cache in Internet Explorer:
Select 'Delete Browsing History' from the Tools menu or press Ctrl+Shift+Delete and select 'Temporary Internet Files', then click the 'Delete' button.

Clean cache in Firefox:
Open the Tools menu and select 'Clear Personal Data' (or whatever that looks likt that, my Firefox in in Portuguese)
Choose the necessary period for Time range to clear.
Open 'Details' and select 'Cache', then click 'Clear Now'
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:41:34 PM

jfaulconer3 said:
I ran the McAfee virus scan and it turned up nothing.
Do you have any suggestions on what AV scans I should use?

McAfee is trash, get rid of it. But I don't think that this situation is due to viruses.
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:46:48 PM

mrmaia said:
McAfee is trash, get rid of it. But I don't think that this situation is due to viruses.

there are infections that prevent downloads to keep you from d/l protection, scanners etc
, that is why I suggested doing scans.
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:50:43 PM

I don't think it is a virus either, my download file became too large without knowing it. I have followed the instructions that mozilla advises with no luck.
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:54:12 PM

ksiemb said:
there are infections that prevent downloads to keep you from d/l protection, scanners etc
, that is why I suggested doing scans.

Yeah surely, I myself had to deal with viruses that kept the system from connecting to ANY antivirus site. But images? No, never heard of such crappy viruses.

jfaulconer3 said:
I don't think it is a virus either, my download file became too large without knowing it. I have followed the instructions that mozilla advises with no luck.

Now that's some clue. So what, it tries to download like a 1TB image file?
m
l
October 7, 2011 6:58:45 PM

I did not clear the download list as I should have. I'm a photographer and I go through a lot of images in short periods of time. Seems the downloads list became too large and has now stopped working and crashes every time I try to download an image. This happens on Explorer and Mozilla.
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:04:00 PM

jfaulconer3 said:
I did not clear the download list as I should have. I'm a photographer and I go through a lot of images in short periods of time. Seems the downloads list became too large and has now stopped working and crashes every time I try to download an image. This happens on Explorer and Mozilla.

So why don't you just try cleaning those? There are specific buttons for that on the download lists on both browsers.

You should also try reinstalling them.
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:30:03 PM

How do I clean the download list? Nothing shows on the list and "clear list" does not help. I deleted "sqlite downloads" as instructed by mozilla, still can't download. Tried deleting download history, nothing....
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:32:07 PM

jfaulconer3 said:
How do I clean the download list? Nothing shows on the list and "clear list" does not help. I deleted "sqlite downloads" as instructed by mozilla, still can't download. Tried deleting download history, nothing....

Interesting.

For Mozilla, use Revo Uninstaller and uninstall Mozilla thru the Advanced mode, erasing pretty much everything that pops up. Then reinstall it and let us know what you get.

For IE the story is a bit different, so lets try with FF first.
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:35:31 PM

Ok,... here goes...
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:51:49 PM

Still crashes when trying to download...
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:57:47 PM

Does it crash at a specific % of the download?
m
l
October 7, 2011 8:04:54 PM

The download never starts. It tries to download to the "downloads" file, pauses for a second or two then crashes. I am am running windows 7. Do I need to create a new file to download to ?
m
l
October 7, 2011 8:24:04 PM

jfaulconer3 said:
The download never starts. It tries to download to the "downloads" file, pauses for a second or two then crashes. I am am running windows 7. Do I need to create a new file to download to ?

By "tries to download to the "downloads" file" you mean My Docs/Downloads folder?

If so, try saving the file somewhere else, and make sure you can write on the disk (that it is not full and that the folder is not read-only)
m
l
October 7, 2011 8:52:00 PM

Ok... I was able to download 2 images to a different folder, I have to be quick though because my browser crashes within seconds. Still no fix yet.
m
l
October 7, 2011 9:01:13 PM

I am trying to download to an external hard drive, right now it tries to download to the C drive. Every time I try to change the destination I get a crash when I click on "computer", in "tools"- "options"- "save files to"-.
m
l
October 8, 2011 2:31:30 AM

What is your hardware configuration, jfaulconer3?
m
l
October 8, 2011 4:26:27 PM

Do you mean external drives etc ?
m
l
October 8, 2011 4:32:32 PM

I mean everything. CPU, motherboard, RAM, hard disk, external disk, whatever you can tell us.
m
l
October 8, 2011 4:54:04 PM

Toshiba Satellite 505D-S5983 laptop, Windows 7, AMD Athion II dual core M300, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 320GB HDD (C drive), WD external hard drive, and a Dynex external hard drive.
I usually download to one or the other external hard drive. Since the problem started my computer has been attempting to download to the C drive- downloads file.
Every time I try to change the destination folder to an external drive my browser crashes. This happens in both Explorer and Mozilla crash. I am not using any other browsers. I can save photos from an external source such as an SD card, it is only when I try to download from a web page that my browser crashes.
I hope this information can help you figure out what is going on with this problem.
Thank you for all your help on this matter.
m
l
October 9, 2011 12:19:07 AM

I am finding that my browser crashes when I try to upload as well.
Something is very wrong with my computer I think....
I hate to have to buy a new one, but that may be in my future I think...
m
l
October 17, 2011 11:18:32 AM

Hi try disabeling all your add-ons on both IE and Mozilla, I had the same issue but after killing a couple of add ons all is well.
m
l
November 20, 2011 6:00:23 AM

This was happening to me, and I was looking through this forum for help, but i fix the problem easily.

For me atleast, it was just a registry error that I fixed with CCleaner (which is free)
hope it helps everyone
m
l
July 25, 2012 11:16:08 PM

same thing happening here. first it was chrome, then IE and now Firefox. Same thing: uploading or downloading a file. I don't think it's a virus or malware. Rather something else. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
m
l
July 28, 2012 5:59:03 AM

Try to upgrade your browsers and also install flash player plugins.
m
l