Sign in with
Your question

P5QPL-VM EPU: No DVI/HDMI video during POST

Last response: in Motherboards
October 24, 2009 1:34:09 AM

Ok,

I've got an P5QPL-VM EPU motherboard that I purchased to use as a firewall appliance.

The main feature that I wanted this inexpensive board for was that it has DVI / HDMI / VGA, but, specifically, that it has DVI.

No matter what I try, the computer will not display video during POST or the BIOS screens when using DVI or HDMI.

I've tried 3 DVI monitors with 3 different DVI cables, and the on-board video card will NOT display video while the system boots.

In fact, it will not display video unless it's using a VGA based analog connector.

Asus has replaced the motherboard once, and it's obvious that the replacement was not a new unit. So, now I'm wondering if this is a problem with the whole series?

Since I'm using a command line based version of Linux, I can't check what I've read from other folks: That the DVI video will work when a GUI based OS is installed and the GUI drivers are loaded.

The built-in video is an Intel GMA X4500 Video Chipset...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm not having a lot of faith in Asus at this point, and I've wasted a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this.

Gerhard
October 26, 2009 10:38:39 PM

Well, I figured it out:

The Asus P5qPL-VM EPU is flawed... There is an issue with the system not being able to support a non-video card in the x16 slot.

I'm currently using this as a network appliance, and then means installing an Intel Pro 1000/PT Dual Server NIC in the 16x PCIe slot.

It appears that when you do this, you run into an issue where NO DIGITAL VIDEO will work...

I've set the BIOS settings to use only the integrated video controller, and never the PEG graphics options, but it makes no difference.

So this basically means that I'm going to have to wait for a BIOS update... Honestly, I'm wondering how that's going to go...
November 10, 2009 11:28:06 PM

So,

At the end of the day, the issue is that the P5QPL-VM EPU IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ADD ON CARDS IN THE x16 SLOT!

No kidding, Asus told me that it does not support non-graphic cards in the x16 PCIe card slot.

Wow.

...I'm current waiting to see if they are going to make it right by giving me a different product.

Currently, they've blamed it on Intel, and, since I have contacts at Intel, I'm looking to see if this is actually an Asus implimenation issue. (More likely, considering the fact that I'm using an Intel PCIe NIC, with the Intel G41 North/ICH7 combo, and the built in Intel IGM.

Seriously. This is pathetic.

GB
!