Faulty SATA controller or Faulty Hard Disk?

dhruv17singhal

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hi,

Last month I bought a Seagate Barracuda 500GB hard disk to test some Linux OSes in isolation. When I connected it to my motherboard Intel DG41RQ, it showed up in BIOS as a drive with some string of characters as name (including characters like @,$,#, etc). I reconnected it to a different port on the motherboard, and this time I got it detected properly. When I booted up into windows, and tried to use the drive, it disappeared after some time. After shutting down, I reconnected the hard disk to the motherboard, and booted again. This time I scanned the disk and found that it failed SMART. I sent it for repairs.

Meanwhile, I bought a Western Digital Cavaire Green 1 TB disk to replace the failed Seagate drive. This time I worked flawlessly, and I used it for a month, till I got my repaired Seagate drive back. Then I connected my repaired disk to the motherboard, scanned/tested it for errors and found nothing wrong with it. For a week I used both the drives, till, one day, I found that my computer was trying to boot from the wrong drive (I know this because I had NT Loader on my original Windows drive, GRUB2 on my WD drive, and GRUB1 on Seagate drive). I rebooted the computer and checked the BIOS. Not only the boot order was different, but one of my drives (WD) went missing. I then opened up my computer to check if everything was connected properly. To be extra sure, I reconnected all my drives, then booted again. This time everything was detected properly and the system booted as I wanted it to.

Next day, when I tried to boot it again, the same thing happened. I repeated the procedure and booted up into Ubuntu. While I was updating the software, my computer froze, and I had to restart it. On restarting the same boot problem presented itself. This time I disconnected the repaired SATA hard disk. There was no problem till I tried to boot into Ubuntu. While booting it said that the hard disk had bad sectors, and froze. I rebooted into windows and checked the WD disk for errors. The WD software said the "the disk had too many bad sectors."

I am unable to figure out whether two brand new hard disks are at fault or is it the SATA controller on the motherboard that is spoiling my hard disks. If you have any other reason for it, do tell me.

banza1324

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

HI I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON ACRE SMALL FORM FACTOR DESK TOP I HAVE BEEN LOST 2 HARD DISK ON WD 320 GB AND OTHER SEAGATE 500GB I THINK THE PROBLEM IS THE SATA CONTROLLER ON MAINBOARD (MOTHERBOARD) I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REPLACE THE COMPONETS

dhruv17singhal

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

So I was not alone. Well it has been more than ten month, and it has taken a complete hardware upgrade (motherboard, hard disk, etc) to get my system to work properly. I hope someone would come to your help, banza1324, as I could never solve the problem.