Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Storage

Last response: in Storage
December 23, 2010 4:47:43 AM

i got my ocz vertex 2 and hdd 1tb wd black hooked up. and it shows up in device manager and bios but doesnt show up as storage in "my computer" so i cant save anything on it///

More about : storage

a c 302 G Storage
December 23, 2010 12:23:21 PM

My first guess is that these are new drives and need to have partitions created; a new partitionless drive will definitely not show up in "my computer."

To help us get beyond a first guess, you will have to provide more information, such as what OS you are running, whether or not you have used these disks before, and how they show under Disk Management (control panel - administrative tools - computer management). This way, we will know where the drives are and if they are partitioned.

PS - if my first guess is correct, you can open Disk Management as described above, select the new drives, and create one or more partitions on each. Partitioning disks is a kind of religious question - some will create one large partition, somewill create several smaller ones, some will short-stroke, and some will puzzle me entirely.
Score

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
December 23, 2010 3:32:47 PM

WyomingKnott is probably right - a new drive needs to be partitioned and formatted before you can use it. If you're using Windows, then:

Click Start -> Right-click "Computer" -> select "Manage"

Click the "Disk Management" link in the left pane

Scroll down to the BOTTOM of the middle pane, find your new drive, and right-click on it to create a volume (this partitions it) and then again to format it. For a separate data drive you probably just want to create one partition (volume) that fills the whole disk.
Related resources
December 23, 2010 6:35:03 PM

Best answer selected by keith808.
Score
January 21, 2012 7:29:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!