Sign in with
Your question

Q9550 running way too hot

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 8, 2009 9:00:05 AM

So several days ago i got my new q9550 to install on my p5n-e sli mobo (yes its compatible with latest bios updates). I checked the idle temps after installation using coretemp. It claimed that it was idling at 60 degrees C. And this is with a F7 Pro HSF and with the side panel removed for better ventilation! Yes the hsf was properly placed on the cpu and such (one small detail will come up later). Well today i found out that i had put the hsf in backwards and that it needs to face the other way. So i removed the hsf, cleaned the bottom and the cpu with alcohol, and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu. Then I reinstalled the hsf this time facing so that the air blew out towards the hole in the back. Now i find that my computer is infact idling at around 65 degrees C. Problem is that the hs isnt even hot. Its blowing cool air. I know this would usually indicate that i had improperly installed the hsf, but this time im certain i put on the paste evenly and not too thick or thin and that the hsf is properly secured to the mobo. This is why im stumped. For the "fun" of it i ran prime95. Within seconds it was reaching over 80 and 90 degrees. By the time i shut the program down the numbers in the bottom right corner said "-26 C." I assumed that this meant that the program rolled over after 99 degrees. In the coretemp window it says that the minimum for my cores is -26 degrees and the max is 99 degrees. I trust coretemp pretty well but i also am pretty confident in my installation of the cpu. Also coretemp says that the "VID" is "1.25 v." My voltage is autoset by my mobo. I cant access my bios setup because when i updated my bios in order for this cpu to work something didnt work out right and now when i press DEL to enter setup the screen just goes black and the setup never loads. Any ideas on how to get these rediculous 60+ temps down?

More about : q9550 running hot

August 8, 2009 9:16:16 AM

So let me get this straight. Your windows is fine but you can't access the bios, right? If this is correct then why don't you try again to update your bios. This way you will be able to access the bios and maybe it will solve your problem with the temperature. Make sure you have the right bios for your motherboard.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2009 2:22:29 PM

Like hefox has already suggested, re flash your BIOS, the VID if it's correct is a little high but not panic station levels (mine sits around 1.112v).
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2009 2:25:52 PM

Still if your in prime 95 stress test, you should feel warm air coming off that heatsink, if not it is installed incorrectly.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 1:53:38 AM

whoistomanyway said:
So several days ago i got my new q9550 to install on my p5n-e sli mobo (yes its compatible with latest bios updates). I checked the idle temps after installation using coretemp. It claimed that it was idling at 60 degrees C. And this is with a F7 Pro HSF and with the side panel removed for better ventilation! Yes the hsf was properly placed on the cpu and such (one small detail will come up later). Well today i found out that i had put the hsf in backwards and that it needs to face the other way. So i removed the hsf, cleaned the bottom and the cpu with alcohol, and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu. Then I reinstalled the hsf this time facing so that the air blew out towards the hole in the back. Now i find that my computer is infact idling at around 65 degrees C. Problem is that the hs isnt even hot. Its blowing cool air. I know this would usually indicate that i had improperly installed the hsf, but this time im certain i put on the paste evenly and not too thick or thin and that the hsf is properly secured to the mobo. This is why im stumped. For the "fun" of it i ran prime95. Within seconds it was reaching over 80 and 90 degrees. By the time i shut the program down the numbers in the bottom right corner said "-26 C." I assumed that this meant that the program rolled over after 99 degrees. In the coretemp window it says that the minimum for my cores is -26 degrees and the max is 99 degrees. I trust coretemp pretty well but i also am pretty confident in my installation of the cpu. Also coretemp says that the "VID" is "1.25 v." My voltage is autoset by my mobo. I cant access my bios setup because when i updated my bios in order for this cpu to work something didnt work out right and now when i press DEL to enter setup the screen just goes black and the setup never loads. Any ideas on how to get these rediculous 60+ temps down?

I think this post is a "TROLL" folks. Just to many extraordinary things happening to be true!!!!!!!!!! No BIOS for 9XXX CPUs. They have internal thermo control at 71.5C. Has any one EVER been able to boot into Windows with a corrupt BIOS?

If by some slim chance this post is for real then the OP needs to get a grown-up to help him/her.
August 9, 2009 2:29:16 AM

I assure you im not a troll, just a very unlucky fellow. Another problem is that i cant update my bios. In order to flash my bios the first time i had to go into the setup and select the flash bios menu, but now that i cant get into setup i dont know how im supposed to correct the problem. Believe me i woulda tried to fix this bios problem right away if i knew how =/
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 2:34:38 AM

arthurh said:
I think this post is a "TROLL" folks. Just to many extraordinary things happening to be true!!!!!!!!!! No BIOS for 9XXX CPUs. They have internal thermo control at 71.5C. Has any one EVER been able to boot into Windows with a corrupt BIOS?

If by some slim chance this post is for real then the OP needs to get a grown-up to help him/her.

Look buddy.

You should figure out the meaning of troll before you use the derogatory term on person trying to get help.

In a sense, you yourself are a troll.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 2:38:37 AM

Anyway, I think your computer is misreporting the temperatures. Have you felt the heatsink yet?

This problem was common in early batches of Core 45nm chips such as your Q9550.

I don't know enough about Intel CPUs thermal diode, so try asking either forum user randomizer or computronix.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 2:48:32 AM

amdfangirl said:
Look buddy.

You should figure out the meaning of troll before you use the derogatory term on person trying to get help.

In a sense, you yourself are a troll.

ROFLMAO!
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 2:51:17 AM

Tell me, what about me implores you to act in such a manner?
August 9, 2009 3:08:31 AM

The heatsink is cool even though it says its nearly at 70 degrees C. I was hoping its a simple case of misreporting but i dont have any real reason to believe that and im too scared to play any games or anything that might cause those reported temps to go any higher.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 3:13:43 AM

Like I said before, some expert members can help you more than I can, so give them a PM.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 3:34:29 AM

whoistomanyway said:
I assure you im not a troll, just a very unlucky fellow. Another problem is that i cant update my bios. In order to flash my bios the first time i had to go into the setup and select the flash bios menu, but now that i cant get into setup i dont know how im supposed to correct the problem. Believe me i woulda tried to fix this bios problem right away if i knew how =/

Okay..., If you look in your M/BD manuel under section 2.1.4, heading ASUS crash free BIOS 2 utility, look for recovering the BIOS from your support CD(the CD with the M/BD drivers on it). If you don't have your manuel its available at the ASUS web site.

You also might try to clear your CMOS.

If you do not have the M/BD CD then you will have to send that M/BD back to ASUS and have them reflash your BIOS chip for you.
!