Solved

Questions on OC for AMD 965 Black Edition

Hi everyone!

I have read 4ryan6's sticky on OCing, along with several other articles, Im not trying to push my CPU very far, 3.8 Ghz and am able to achieve that easily, my questions revolve around the following:

1. if I can reach the 3.8 mark with just raising the multi, do I need to adjust the voltage? or is it more of if it posts and passes benchmarking leave the voltage alone?

2. Should i worry about the NB at all with this clock?

3. do I need to worry about memory timings at all?

Thanks in advance for any info it is greatly appreciated!

Oh system specs would prolly help:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Power Supply
ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 Video Card
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about questions black edition
  1. Best answer
    1. - Voltage may not need to be raised, stress tests will indicate stability. If stress tests fail, then you may need more voltage.

2. memory speed is what will dictate the need for a NB overclock. IIRC, memory freq * 1.5 is the desirable NB speed to alleviate the bottleneck. Since you are running 1333, the stock 2000mhz NB speed should be sufficient.

3. Tinkering with memory timings could give you some extra performance, but it will mostly only be noticeable in benchmarks. Running stock timings and voltage is the easiest way to keep things stable. memory testing can be very time consuming, and IMO not worth the effort for the payout unless you are a hardcore benchmarker.

It is recommended that you take your memory timings off auto and manually set them to the recommended values. Auto is not reliable, and can often fluctuate and cause stability issues.
  2. Thank you very much for the information!
  3. Have one running at 3.9Ghz, and had it at 4.1Ghz, but the cooling (CM GeminII S) can't keep up with some volt increase 8(

Try this: HT link/FSB/NB (whatever u wanna call it xD) around 205/6 Mhz and multi in 19x. That's my stable config with no tricky RAM tweaking and no volt increase. You could even go the 19.5 or 20x route, but be sure to stress the CPU to see if it is stable (I used Bad Company 2 to test it and prime95). For a first approach, go this route, if you can't find an stable point, try with over volting a little (like 2-5%).

If it runs at 70°c, might want to back down a little, even if it's stable IMO. Since other components add heat under gaming conditions, it might get even hotter.

Cheers!

EDIT: Might want to check this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2754/6
  4. Discipline said:
    Hi everyone!

I have read 4ryan6's sticky on OCing, along with several other articles, Im not trying to push my CPU very far, 3.8 Ghz and am able to achieve that easily, my questions revolve around the following:

1. if I can reach the 3.8 mark with just raising the multi, do I need to adjust the voltage? or is it more of if it posts and passes benchmarking leave the voltage alone?

2. Should i worry about the NB at all with this clock?

3. do I need to worry about memory timings at all?

Thanks in advance for any info it is greatly appreciated!

Oh system specs would prolly help:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333
    OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Power Supply
    ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 Video Card
    Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

#1. That is only a 400mhz increase, (your 965 should be able to do that with it's hands tied behind it's back) <JK
    I had mine as high as 4.3G, to go any higher than 3.8 you'll definitely need to manually set your Vcore, but regarding your question 1, if you can pass 06 as referenced in the guide with your voltage on auto and 3.8g is your goal, then you should be just fine.

#2. No

#3. As long as your memory timings are manually set, as stated in the guide, that's all you need, memory wise, to be concerned about.

Are you having any problems that forced these questions, or are you just amazed at how easily you hit 3.8G? Ryan
  5. 4Ryan6 said:
    #1. That is only a 400mhz increase, (your 965 should be able to do that with it's hands tied behind it's back) <JK
    I had mine as high as 4.3G, to go any higher than 3.8 you'll definitely need to manually set your Vcore, but regarding your question 1, if you can pass 06 as referenced in the guide with your voltage on auto and 3.8g is your goal, then you should be just fine.

#2. No

#3. As long as your memory timings are manually set, as stated in the guide, that's all you need, memory wise, to be concerned about.

Are you having any problems that forced these questions, or are you just amazed at how easily you hit 3.8G? Ryan

This is what I figured, but ya this CPU doesn't even seem to care I OCed it, i think i saw a 2-3 degree increase in temp under load, and i have the fans on the frio cooler set to low, (I do have good case cooling though but super quiet)

Also. have never seen much info on wither or not a cpu can post, pass benchmarks yet be damaged in the long term from under powering the chip,

for a analogy in my Toyota MR2 I can crank the boost up on the motor which can cause the motor to run lean, aka not getting enough gas, it will run for a while with more power but can cause long term damage to the engine

I may set the voltage manually and bump it a bit higher, at a 4ghz clock what should I be expecting voltage wise, its at 1.42 now with it set to auto. bump it up .05 or so?
  6. I recommend not going over the stock max voltage of 1.4. You can easily reach 4.2 with just increasing the Vcore multiplier and the frequency to 220 while making sure you don't increase the core voltage over 1.4 and you should be fine. My 965 runs at 18 multiplier and 220 frequency at stock voltage and for everyday computing it runs at 4077Mhz. I have no problem uping the multiplier to 19 to get 4.2 out of it and it runs very stable. So try some of those settings and see what you get. I use ASUS AI suite to overclock on the fly and it works like a charm.
  7. Just wanted to add that some of the overclockers on here build a new rig every year or so and don't worry about the long hall. Upping the core voltage will age you cpu twice as fast as staying within AMD's recommendations. So, me, I plan on have mine for a long time and wish to get a long life out of my CPU. That is why I keep it low on voltage. Going higher gets you more speed, but at a price.
  8. Ok quick update, manually set timings on Ram, set the multi to 19 and the left the voltage on auto ran stress test and the CPU was at 47°C after 4 hours.

Seemed fine but I was curious so I manually set the voltage to 1.45 and fired up the test again, 4 hours and the CPU stayed at a nice 38°C

I think this weekend I'm going to take it to a 4ghz clock, and see what temps I see, fans are still set as low as they can go, but I am willing to sacrifice a bit more noise for cooling if needed.
  9. Best answer selected by Discipline.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking