Sign in with
Your question

Quadro FX 5800 vs GTX295

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2009 10:07:11 PM

Very interesting as it seems the two are quite similar in power...ie: similar power consumtion, the gtx even has more cores however its very interesting how the gtx295 costs a whopping 500-600bucks while the quadro fx 5800 cost an unbelievable 3000 dollars....what is the benefit of the quadro...what makes it worth so f-ing much?

More about : quadro 5800 gtx295

a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2009 10:10:45 PM

Quadro and Geforce use different architecture.

Geforce is for gaming, Quadro is for video/graphics editing and designing.

Quadros suck at gaming, and Geforce suck at graphics editing.
May 25, 2009 10:31:18 PM

They accelerate the CAD (computer-adied design) and DCC (dgitall contect creation). Well these cards are usually used in workstations.

allthough they share the same core with Geforce, Geforce cards are nowhere near in terms of cad performance.

When you play game, performance (FPS) is really important so system can shut down shading textures rendeting shading, after only approximating a final output just in order to keep the Framerates at playable level.

And Cad cards complete all rendering operations even if that causes timings and delays.

Related resources
May 26, 2009 5:10:37 AM

Yup. My laptop have a QUADRO card. and its crap for gaming !
May 26, 2009 6:47:27 AM

BlueScreenDeath is correct, they are different architechure people usually have these cards in high ecnd workstations that do CAD designing.
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 7:04:41 AM

+1 for BSOD...
You cannot and should not compare GTX 295 and Quadro...
They both are entirely for different market...
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 1:29:53 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Very interesting as it seems the two are quite similar in power...ie: similar power consumtion, the gtx even has more cores however its very interesting how the gtx295 costs a whopping 500-600bucks while the quadro fx 5800 cost an unbelievable 3000 dollars....what is the benefit of the quadro...what makes it worth so f-ing much?

Yep, the same is only skin deep here. Under the hood they are highly optimized for entirely different types of software.
Although a higher end workstation card can run games perfectly fine (notice I said higher-end) why would a gamer pay upwards of 3-5g's just to play a game that a much less expensive gaming card can do. Low-end cheaper workstation cards do a pretty bad job running games.

On the other hand though, no gaming card, no matter what the price, can touch a quadro running the applications it was designed to run.
May 26, 2009 2:08:52 PM

the difference is to do with drivers, hence why some people buy 8800GT's and softmod them into FX 4600's.

also I think the 5800 is the workstation version of the GTX 285 not the 295.
May 26, 2009 10:11:18 PM

thanks...i get the difference now cause I used to think that the gtx295 was the king of kings in quality and price but turns out I was wrong. LOL so i guess they have completely different purposes.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 8:28:16 PM

Here is an example: A Gamer or a 3-D Graphics Programmer (Game Programmer) working on games would use a GeForce GTX 295 to build and test a game in real-time play. A Mechanical Engineer or a 3-D Graphic artist (Game Artist) working on computer animation for a game would use Quadro FX 5800 to build large 3-D worlds, complex 3-D game model assets, animation, simulated physics, video editing. Rendering animation can go beyond what the card is capable even, so it's then sent to a render-farm to render the film and 3-D models are sent to the Game Programmer to be used as game assets. Basically, if you need to crunch numbers, use a Quadro. If you need to see results in real-time play, use a GeForce. More or less. It's not about the price when choosing between these two cards. The question is - which role do you play? Answer that question and select your card from there. These cards are Kings in fulfilling one of the roles you play in.
November 18, 2009 1:31:58 AM

What about image quality? From what I have seen here it seems as though images rendered with the Quadro should look better than images rendered with a GeForce because the Quadro spends more time to fully render an image? Is this the case? I have often wondered if the final image quality is impacted by the Video card.
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 4:06:52 AM

Image quality is the same if the settings are all the same. You get the same image whether you're using a $100 GTS250 to render FarCry2 or a $400 ATI 5870 to render FarCry2...
November 18, 2009 4:42:46 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
Image quality is the same if the settings are all the same. You get the same image whether you're using a $100 GTS250 to render FarCry2 or a $400 ATI 5870 to render FarCry2...

So is the primary difference in the amount of time it takes to render when using 3d software like Mya or Vue? If a Quadro then render time should be less? If a game then render time is slower because of driver differences? But if its a game then render is faster for GeForce and slower for Quadro?

If this is the case then someone should make a card with a switch so you can flip it to games or 3d render. The way it is now seems more nickle and diming everyone since the cards seem physically similar but different in drivers.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 12:38:19 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
Quadro and Geforce use different architecture.

Geforce is for gaming, Quadro is for video/graphics editing and designing.

Quadros suck at gaming, and Geforce suck at graphics editing.

Honestly I have read several blogs on which many people saying that quadro's suck at gaming, but, Over a year ago I saw some tests on the web that showed that quadro's were for the most part slightly better in gaming than gaming cards but were 7-10 times better in CAD applications, although I haven't seen any tests in sli mode. I know that most quadro’s are sli capable also and that makes it pretty interesting. Question, would 2 low end quadro’s outperform a medium end quadro? If that would be the case you could save 400 dollars and you would have a pretty interesting setup that is good for games, CAD and rendering applications.
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 1:03:54 AM

A workstation card will not accelerate frame rendering.. Its the job of the CPU.. The advantage of a workstation card (say a quadro) over a desktop card (GeForce) is its ability to employ extra features such as z depth, shadow maps, wireframes etc depending on the application.. A desktop card is not meant to handle this and thus those features are disabled.. A workstation card may be good for games also (although i highly doubt it) but its pointless from a gamers perspective to get them.. The real advantage of a workstation comes while doing on screen rendering with apps such as 3DS Max employing heavy polygons and textures.. The editing is much smoother is such scenarios using a quadro rather than a geforce..
!