Best Sound Card For Gaming/Blu-Ray?

Gordan_Freemans_Toaster

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Hi! Just bought a new 5.1 surround system for my PC, and the onboard sound does not do the speakers any justice in terms of sound quality.

I've searched the internet high and low but to no avail when it comes to choosing the best for price/performance. I'm not bothered weather it is PCI/PCI-X, as I have both spare on my motherboard.

As mentioned in the title, it will be used primarily for gaming and watching Blu-Ray films.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I'm personally fed up with Creative's support and wouldn't buy another creative product for a while. I'm hearing good things about HT Omega's product line, though. The Striker isn't much more than some of the low end X-Fi's.

On the other hand, a plain old Audigy SE is probably good enough if you don't want to do anything too fancy than PC Speaker 5.1 in a smallish room. It has very mature drivers because it is so old.

On a side note, if I was really a stickler for sound, I'd decode my audio outside my PC. Those wimpy 3.5 mm jacks just don't cut it for me.

Gordan_Freemans_Toaster

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for all the replies!

The surround sound speaks are plugged into an amp which has digital optical, HDMI ect.

Is it possible to get a decent card with digital optical for about $100?

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Any card with SPDIF out (optical or coax) should be fine which is almost standard on any sound card more than US$20. I'm surprised your Mobo doesn't have it. I think the Omega HT Striker still might be your best best because of the robust digital out at the price. It even comes with the stupid TOS-Link.

malewizard

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Creative makes good chips...period. They are still notorius very glitchy drivers. There Windows 7 drivers are terrible with almost all of the original features that come with the install discs,taken out by new drivers. I suggest someone who uses the chips,but actuall supports and enhances a card..like Auzentech for one.

TRENDING THREADS