Will this run on my mobo?

nuclearcrack

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
nuclearcrack - There are few absolutes in computers, but for at least the past 20 yrs, no motherboard designed for an Intel CPU can ever run an AMD CPU. These two companies are huge competitors and there products are not interchangable.

Your computer came with: Processor Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600
• 2.40 GHz

It might be able to run other Intel processors in this series, but it'll never run an AMD Phenom or any AMD CPU.

Yes, you'll have to replace the motherboard assuming that's an option in that case, with that RAM, etc...

HappyBison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
nuclearcrack,
Additionally to what was said above.. If you are looking just for an upgrade, then I would suggest to figure out what exactly do you want to upgrade. Your machine is pretty good for many common tasks including some mid-range games.

If you want CPU speed, check E8400/E8500/E8600 Intel CPU (your system should support it, but you can confirm it with HP).
I would also upgrade the memory, but that will require an upgrade of your OS to 64-bit in order to use that extra memory.
If you just feel your machine is slow as it is, you may just need to clean your Windows.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Clean up Windows or simply start over and re-install Windows - after backing up/copying all any data you want.

The HPs generally have a special partition with OS info only on it. And you may or may not have an actual Windows CD to install from. Often you have to make one first. Read everything you can about the process on the site and manual before trying it.

I re-install my Windows at least every 18 months - brings it back up to fast operation, removes errors, junk that got installed and not fully un-installed, etc... But it's painful and usually your system will be down or not fully working for a few days until you remember all the things you did last time to get it running well.

--------------------------------

+1, isn't logic.