Novice needs help with disappearing drives

polyolefin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I have 3 internal SATA hard drives, one containing the OS (Win7) plus two storage drives.

For months I had no problems but now Windows detects the main drive and only one storage drive. By swapping the SATA cables between the 2 storage drives, I can get either one to show up, but never both at the same time.

I've read that SATA drives don't need jumpers to determine master/slave because WD drives are all "cable select" by default. I don't know much about this stuff, but here's what my BIOS says:

IDE Channel 0 Master: [Storage Drive #1]
IDE Channel 0 Slave: [Storage Drive #2]
IDE Channel 2 Master: [Main Drive]
IDE Channel 3 Master: [DVD drive]

Help! What do I have to do for all 3 drives to be present?

Is your disappearing storage drive a large capacity drive?

I had a problem with disappearing hard drives and a Windows Hotfix solved the problem.

This is the Hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/#top

The description of the problem on the link above did not match my problem of drives disappearing, but I have not had the problem since applying the hotfix. It's worth a shot.

Also, have you tried different SATA cables to rule them out as the cause?

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hmm, maybe it has to do with both storage drives being on channel 0 with one as master and the other as slave. Is the drive not showing up in Windows always the one listed as slave in the BIOS? Might be a good idea to put each storage drive on a different channel if possible.

polyolefin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah... I feel like a putz.

I went into the disk management screen you suggested and found the "invisible" hard drive. It was "offline" due to a "signature collision". I right-clicked it, selected "online", and now I can see all 3 drives.

Thanks for your help everyone!

TRENDING THREADS