Sign in with
Your question

Need help to learn of mobo will handel 295 sli

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2009 4:34:26 AM

HI,
I'm about to start with a new build. I was wondering if you guys think an asus pt6 will handel 2 GPU either a pair of 295s one I will by now and another when prices drop or 2 285s same story. I already got the mem and an enermax 1050 watt PSU the revolution 85+ (model # ERV 1050EWT), though it says it can handel up to 1260 watts at peak power "what ever that means."

The P6T is to arrive tomorrow and I have or plan to have a max of 4 hds. Right now I have to identical reg hds. Also, I'm bout to order an intel 920 cpu. I already got a 3 stick Corsair TR3X6G1600CD8 (6 GIGS) at 1600mhz. BTW they are 8-8-8-24.

If the mobo can handel it they I'd be greatful for one bit of advice.

I can decide on the case, right now I have a thermaltake suprano, its all fine but the one weakness of this case is there is no dust screens at all. Its a mistake I dont want to repeat as I had a huge dust problem over time. Its as if someone took dust like snow and jame packed my whole interior with dust up to the hilt (its probably what made mylast comp crash as I lost either the mobo or cpu and GPU at same time)

My bro has lian li cases, he has an older version Lian Li PC-65B and when I look inside his comp it looks new or the parts in it do at least where as mine look like I took then to dust school.

So this time i want to make sure i get a case that stays clean through AIR FITERS ( like the lian li FC-7FW) and the next requirement is space as stated above for the 295/285 and room for at least 4hds though it be nice if I could use the unsued 5" for Hds just in case.

Anyways, before I write a book Id really be greatful if the knowledge people could address the couple of topics with their input on the above mentioned topics.

Thanks a whole lot,
Sebastian
May 26, 2009 6:49:27 AM

That Asus P6T should be able to take two GTX295's in SLI. It should also be Crossfire compartible. Correct me if I'm wrong.
May 26, 2009 8:08:59 AM

Yep, the MoBo will do it. It's designed for it. 295s are dual PCI slot cards, aren't they? It just might be a tight fit but not too tight and no tighter than say 2x HD4870s or something.

The case will be the important factor with those GPUs.
Related resources
May 26, 2009 4:19:52 PM

That mobo will handle two of any high-end GPU's, but before you splash out all your cash on 2 GTX 295's consider the ATI 4870x2 Xfire. I am pretty sure that you will be gaming ONLY at 2500 res and the GDDR3 RAM on the 295 will seriously handicap it.... I own a GTX 295 and I game at 1600, I feel that even at this low res it needs more, the 4870x2 has GDDR5 and if you go Xfire it will have 4Gigs compared to 3.6Gigs of the GTX 295. Maybe you would want to wait for the 4890x2 =O but if you want NOW then I recommend 2 or 3 GTX 285 or 2 ATI 4870x2

HOPE YOU OC THE CRAP OUTTA YOUR CPU! Try get 3.6Ghz+ or it will be a serious bottleneck...
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 4:29:23 PM

JPunisher said:
That mobo will handle two of any high-end GPU's, but before you splash out all your cash on 2 GTX 295's consider the ATI 4870x2 Xfire. I am pretty sure that you will be gaming ONLY at 2500 res and the GDDR3 RAM on the 295 will seriously handicap it.... I own a GTX 295 and I game at 1600, I feel that even at this low res it needs more, the 4870x2 has GDDR5 and if you go Xfire it will have 4Gigs compared to 3.6Gigs of the GTX 295. Maybe you would want to wait for the 4890x2 =O but if you want NOW then I recommend 2 or 3 GTX 285 or 2 ATI 4870x2

HOPE YOU OC THE CRAP OUTTA YOUR CPU! Try get 3.6Ghz+ or it will be a serious bottleneck...

Uh hu... Well you are wrong on pretty much every point there...

First, Gddr 5 is no faster if the Gddr3 is clocked twice as fast.. which it is.

Second, The only reason to go 4870's over 295's would be cost.

Third, the memory size really won't matter, they are so close..

There may not ever be a 4890X2.

Only at 2500 res?... sigh

To the OP, you will be able to run two 295's fine.. If you are giving that much cash into a system you can't do better in two slots at the moment. Remember the scalign isnt great at 4 gpu's, th ecost/performacne gets much worse up in those tiers. Triple corssfire/SLI of high end 4890's/285's woudl be somethin to consider though if you are splashign that much cast at it anyway.
May 26, 2009 4:37:13 PM

Have you seen the GTX 295 Sli FPS in crysis? Don't even tell me it is a driver issue, there have been two driver releases and still no fix, com'on.... The ATI cards also support DX10.1 which games are already supporting like H.A.W.X, but I think you are right, I would personally go Tri SLi or 3 Xfire if I had that much cash to blow... GDDR5 > GDDR3, end of story =D
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 4:42:47 PM

GDDR5 is better than GDDR3 at the same speed and bus size.. BUT, since the Nvidia cards have a wider bus they make up for the quad pumping of gddr5. You don't seem to understand bandwidth...

The 295's perform very well in crysis in any review I have seen. I have no idea where you are gettign your information from. The cards only run into any noticable memory difficulties at 30" native resolutions.. at thsoe resolutions triple SLI would probably be better.. For insatance, what is wrong with these results? http://www.legitreviews.com/article/863/5/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-295,212... there too. Other than the borked drivers for quad SLI that existed in january for crysis the results are superb. Again though, and obviously.. Three 285's or three oc'd 4890's would probalby be better at 30" res

I have never seen a revire where the 4870x2 in corssfire is not slower than the 295.. granted the 4870's kick out substantially better price/performance (assumign all teh driver problems with games like crysis are corrected.. old revies comparing the two would often have the 4870x2's only using 2 gpu's..)
May 26, 2009 5:00:50 PM

As mentioned above the only res this rig is going to be gaming at is 2500
May 26, 2009 5:01:27 PM

Tri Sli/Xfire FTW =D
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 5:11:55 PM

First, I already linked that toms review, he drivers were very clearly broken at that time.. It only had that performance in one game.

Second, The guru3d review shows the 295 SLI clearly on top at max res.. so I don't know what that is supposed to show me. (Obviosuly crysis isnt goign to be playable at those res anyway with anything shot of triple SLI.. even then it owuld be a stretch at max settings)

Third, The bit-tech review has teh same driver problem as I already pointed out in Tom's.

It is stupid to measure a card on one game, let alone one example setting of one of the worst performing games in history. But that seems par for the course based on your posts so far. The op would be best to ignore most of your posts.. Though it is cute you think that a review with a broken driver in only one game (the only case the cards in question didn't win hands down) makes you think that enough has been said on the topic.. You are mistaken, just stop posting before you embarass youself more..

I really don't see what you dont understand.. The SLI 295's are better than any other double card configuration.. If you want better performance you need Triple SLI/ Crossfire with faster single core cards.

I can find just as many reviews where the 4870x2 crossfire tanked due to a driver bugs as the 295... The 295 is clearly slightly faster. Will work for the OP fine, and short of 3 285/4890OC there i no way to get better performance.. Certainly no way to get it out of 2 PCIX slots.
May 26, 2009 5:31:02 PM

I only play 4 games, so 25% of my games will run like crap. The bugg hasn't been fixed in WQHL 185.
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 5:46:33 PM

Mhmm. It doesn't mean it isnt a bug, or that crossfire works any better. For most of the life of teh 4870x2 crossfire crysis wouldnt use any mroe than 2 gpu's at any settings. Not sure on how that works atm.

For most caes 295s work better than 2 4870x2s. There are exceptions.. though crysis isn't one of them as the 4870s run it like crap as well.. just not the same crap.

If stability and bug free operation is teh goal, quad crossfire/SLI is not the right choice to make... though neither is playing crysis in the first place and I don't think any game (that people actually play) has had a collection of bugs as deep.
May 26, 2009 7:40:38 PM

JPunisher said:

Yeah I agree, they are expensive but i'm only getting 1 right now and when prices drop i will get the other. But if price is no object you're saying ud go with the 285s?

P.S. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-roun...

check out the other reviews in different apps.

Lastly, do you guys think 2 of the 285/95s will fit into a lain li pc-7fw?
and what worries me most is the PSU i got finally came and its super heavy and I hope it will fit into the lian li its (i'll leave the link to the psu)

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPat...

Would be greatful for both answers.

Thanks,
Sebastian
May 26, 2009 7:42:19 PM

JPunisher said:

Yeah I agree, they are expensive but i'm only getting 1 right now and when prices drop i will get the other. But if price is no object you're saying ud go with the 285s?

P.S. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-roun...

check out the other reviews in different apps.

Lastly, do you guys think 2 of the 285/95s will fit into a lain li pc-7fw?
and what worries me most is the PSU i got finally came and its super heavy and I hope it will fit into the lian li its (i'll leave the link to the psu)

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPat...

Would be greatful for both answers.

Thanks,
Sebastian
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 7:45:20 PM

You shouldn't have any issue fitting them into that case. They are long though, take some measurements first if you want to be sure.. Though it should be easily roomy enough.

The mass of the PSU won't really matter.. That is a bottom mounted case anyway isnt it?
May 26, 2009 10:55:45 PM

daedalus685 said:
Uh hu... Well you are wrong on pretty much every point there...

First, Gddr 5 is no faster if the Gddr3 is clocked twice as fast.. which it is.

Second, The only reason to go 4870's over 295's would be cost.

Third, the memory size really won't matter, they are so close..

There may not ever be a 4890X2.

Only at 2500 res?... sigh

To the OP, you will be able to run two 295's fine.. If you are giving that much cash into a system you can't do better in two slots at the moment. Remember the scalign isnt great at 4 gpu's, th ecost/performacne gets much worse up in those tiers. Triple corssfire/SLI of high end 4890's/285's woudl be somethin to consider though if you are splashign that much cast at it anyway.

yeah, i'm getting a 920 and the p6t the mem is corair 1600 and the psu is an enermax revolution 85+ 1050 watts i think. Though i dont undersant why on their site theres a sli and a ati sli (left the link below).
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2009 11:02:58 PM

You rarely see a PSU that gets both crossfire and SLI certification.. If only to preserve the colour scheme.. lol. If it is certified for one, it is fine for both though. they have pretty much the same requirements to get the little logo.
!