Sign in with
Your question

Sound Card

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2009 12:20:29 AM

Hey all. I used to have a SoundBlaster card I used with my 5.1 Creative speakers. 2 speakers, 2 satelite speakers, 1 center and a subwoofer. Currently using the on board audio. The quality is fine, but I'm only getting sound from the 2 satelite speakers and the woofer. Any thoughts? I've gone through all the audio settings. Tried both 5.1 and 7.1, but no joy. Sold my audio card with my old rig. Do I need another card, or should it work with the on board?

Rig in sig.

Thanks!

More about : sound card

August 9, 2009 12:33:55 AM

What mobo are you using?
August 9, 2009 12:44:06 AM

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
Related resources
August 9, 2009 12:49:46 AM

are you trying to use the windows audio interface or the realtek?...not sure its realtek, but whoever it is on that board
August 9, 2009 12:50:29 AM

The RealTek interface.
August 9, 2009 1:04:10 AM

it sounds to me like it should work...have you configured each channel? I am running 5.1 off of an integrated realtek, so I know it can be done.
August 9, 2009 1:10:16 AM

I've tried. Will keep working on it. Only reason I noticed is because I moved. Might have ben this way for a while, but I find it odd that 3 speakers would have gone out. Must be missing something. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. It sounds decent, but would saound better with all speakers working.
August 9, 2009 1:23:16 AM

are you using something that has its own processing...like a logitech 5500 or similar? and is your source material coded for surround sound?....i have my digital output on the soundcard sending the info to my receiver, it will only output what the source material tells it to, unless I force it to change. You might also double check your connections to make sure everything is plugged into the correct place on the soundcard if you are using the 6 channel discreet outputs. Another thing to try is to unplug them, with the computer on plug them back in, and see if the audio configuration screen pops up. If it doesn't, its not detecting the connection for some reason.
August 9, 2009 1:34:43 AM

Yeah, the config pops up when I do that. Noticed that earlier. Only been playing burned CDs. Gonna fire up Combat Arms and see how the soud comes out. Was wondering if it could be the source. But I think it was the same on Pandora earlier.

Thanks belial. Still working on it.
August 9, 2009 1:46:38 AM

Ok, tested in game and same thing. :( 
August 9, 2009 2:05:58 AM

okay, so we know it is detecting the connections, so its not a soundcard problem. We need to work on the software end of things. What connection are you using (are you using all the discreet audio plugs for each channel, just the stereo mini pin, the optical, or coax) and what speaker system are you using?
August 9, 2009 6:48:35 AM

Unless your onboard supports upmixing to 5.1, most of the time, you'll be getting 2.0/2.1.

First off, what connection are you using? (I would wager Optical Digital, based on the Creative speakers).
Second off, are you sure your audio source (ie: Music/Games) is 5.1?
August 9, 2009 6:14:41 PM

As far as the speakers, all I know is that they're Creative. They connect via 3 input jacks. Black, green and orangish.

Another odd thinkg, the RealTek software does a test, and all speakers work. But nothing in game or when playing a burned CD.
August 9, 2009 9:50:03 PM

is there any sort of remote or controller with the speakers? Also, try to right click on the speaker icon, then right click on the speakers in the dialog box, select properties, then click on the levels tab....be sure your surround channels are turned up.
August 10, 2009 12:26:17 PM

Ok, analog then.

If the speaker test works fine, then I'd simply think everything you are doing is using a 2.0 signal. I would figure most games would support 5.1 though...what games are you trying to use 5.1 on?
August 10, 2009 1:39:07 PM

Only thing I've tried it on so far is Combat Arms. I forgot to check the sound settings, but don't remember any options to select 5.1. Will check tonight.

belial, no remote. I think I've looked at every setting there is. Will go thru it again this evening though. Thanks for the input guys.
August 10, 2009 5:21:51 PM

Just to be clear: The speaker test is picking up all the speakers, right?
August 10, 2009 5:24:47 PM

gamerk316 said:
Just to be clear: The speaker test is picking up all the speakers, right?

Yes, but I drank a lot this weekend, so I'll double check that too. Lol 99.5% sure though.
August 11, 2009 8:25:11 PM

Something I noticed. The test picks up all the speakers ONLY when set to 7.1. Thought that was kind of odd. Double checked the game and every setting I could find in the realtek interface. My best guess is the source is the issue.
August 11, 2009 9:41:35 PM

I think you have the surround speakers plugged into the wrong channel. That would explain why the work in 7.1, but not 5.1. You must have them plugged into the rear side instead of the rear back that 5.1 needs.
August 11, 2009 10:25:05 PM

Hmmm, will have to check that when I get home. All 4 of those speakers are the same. At least they look the same. Will have a look when I get home.
August 11, 2009 10:34:40 PM

I meant the wrong channel on the sound card....sorry, should have been more specific.
August 11, 2009 11:41:10 PM

Color coded. Hard to miss that one, but good thought. Verified by unplugging and repluggung to make sure the corresponding dialog popped up in the realtek program. I am truely at a loss.

Not sure what gives, but I have audio jacks on the front for my head phones. In the realtek interface, those jacks are in bold like they're always connected when they're not.
August 13, 2009 8:00:02 AM

This might be a driver problem, so try reinstalling or updating the driver. Also try watching a DVD with 5.1 sound to see if it works.
August 13, 2009 2:26:28 PM

Drivers. Didn't even think about that, but I think its the only thing I haven't tried. Will give it a shot tonight. I'll see if I have a DVD in 5.1 as well.

Thanks.
November 9, 2009 8:15:36 PM

I had the same problem about ten minutes ago. My set up is only two speaks and a headset. Before, my headset was plugged into the speakers, speakers to Icemats USB sound driver, driver to MoBo. The mic is seperatly plugged into the MoBo. I could hear people on vent, videos on youtube, everything else except in-game League of Legends.

Now I have the same setup but no Icemats USB sound driver. Uninstalled that and reinstalled my MoBo audio drivers and everything works. *Cheer*

!