Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newbie overclocking help!

Last response: in Overclocking
February 23, 2011 8:40:55 PM

Ok so the 1st time in my life I just bought, built and am running on my new PC. Here are my specs:

i5 2500k
MSI P67 GD65
Corsair Vengeance 1600 4GBx2
Coolermaster 212 plus
Antec DF85
SLI GTX 560 TI

So here are my questions since I'm a newbie. I have everything up and running and running well. I tried overclocking the CPU and got nowhere fast. I went with recommended settings and it would boot but never actually load Windows. I than gave up and did OC Genie and it bumped it up to 4.2ghz which is great.

I downloaded CPU-Z and it says 4200 ghz but my ram says 798.3mhz, does ram share 1600mhz split in 2? I'm kind of confused by why it's not running at it's 1600 state. I go into BIOS and it won't let you change a thing with OC Genie on, which kinda blows. I stress tested in Furmark and my CPU comes up as 3200ghz, which makes no sense, also I tried windows assessment and it won't pass for some reason anymore.

Other question is with benchmarking and overclocking GPU's I used MSI afterburner and Asus smartdoctor. Turned voltage to 1.25 and got 983/1966/2176 (core/shader/memory) and got a benchmark on Furmark of 13066. Is that good? I seriously have no clue whatsoever, I stress tested for like 20 minutes with no issues with a temperature of about 75 celsius.

Any benchmark programs, overclock programs etc or knowledge you could throw my way would be so appreciated. I'm DL'ing Crysis demo to see how my computer runs.

More about : newbie overclocking

Best solution

a c 214 à CPUs
a c 155 K Overclocking
February 23, 2011 9:12:41 PM

Yes DDR = double data rate

Here's the SB overclocking instructions:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-r...

The generic overclock procedure (Asus - 2600k) is as follows:

1. Leave baseclock for what it is right now
2. If optional in the BIOS, increase the TDP limit of your processor to 200 Watts
3. With a 2600K set your base multiplier at 34
4. And now set the per core multiplier at a maximum of your liking, we applied an MP of 46 on all four cores
5. Increase CPU voltage, though setting AUTO might work fine, we applied 1.35V
6. Make sure your processor is properly cooled (we used the stock Intel cooler and forced the fan to 70% RPM)
7. Save and Exit BIOS / UEFI

see also http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-25...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to...

Quote:
Other question is with benchmarking and overclocking GPU's I used MSI afterburner and Asus smartdoctor.

Are you using an MSI card or an Asus card ?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2011 9:39:33 PM

You'll also want to run Prime95 or another torture testing tool to make sure that your overclock is stable.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 10:02:03 PM

1.25V on a GTX 560 Ti?!!! That sounds dangerously high. Are you sure it's not 1.025V? Don't adjust voltages until you have to when overclocking.

For overclocking the CPU, I use the following programs:
1) CPU-Z
2) HWMonitor
3) LinX
4) Memtest86+

I don't use Prime95 because it's too hot where I live.

For overclocking the GPU I use:
1) MSI Afterburner
2) Furmark/Kombustor
3) 3DMark benchmarking
m
l
February 23, 2011 10:02:54 PM

thanks I'll try this out again later
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 10:12:32 PM

williammeis said:
thanks I'll try this out again later
What is the voltage on your graphics card? You may burn it out VERY soon (maybe today) if you're actually running it at 1.25V. And you may already have permanent damage.

Also, MSI Afterburner explicitly states not to use it in conjunction with any other voltage monitoring or adjusting tool.
m
l
February 24, 2011 5:40:49 AM

dalauder said:
What is the voltage on your graphics card? You may burn it out VERY soon (maybe today) if you're actually running it at 1.25V. And you may already have permanent damage.

Also, MSI Afterburner explicitly states not to use it in conjunction with any other voltage monitoring or adjusting tool.

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's too late now. I'm no genius but I'm positive they're ruined. Wow this is why you don't let idiots mess with stuff :(  well I'm not an idiot, just misinformed. Everything on the screen is fine but when I turn on furmark or crysis demo it has a weird purple haze on everything. Awesome, nothing like ruining day old cards.

edit:: I don't even want to edit my stupidity. I changed my nvidia settings from quality to performance, that's what was causing all the stupid purple haze. oh thank god.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 6:25:28 PM

Glad to hear your card's not actually burned out. Typically, voltages are between 0.95 and 1.05V, often closer to 1.0 than that. Occasionally, they might go as high as maybe 1.125V or so, but that's with reviewers testing overclocking or something who are more familiar with this stuff than I am.

Your voltage is probably 1.025V.
m
l
February 24, 2011 8:07:15 PM

I realized they don't go any higher than 1.15, I had them set at 1.125 but only because I was trying to find what voltage was necessary to turn up the clocks and shaders and things. I'm just glad they're not ruined. thanks!
m
l
February 24, 2011 9:02:49 PM

thanks everyone! I got the CPU overclocked to 4.6, stable and memory set at 1600mhz, everything is running great. Thanks for all the help and links.
m
l
February 24, 2011 9:03:12 PM

Best answer selected by williammeis.
m
l
!