czucker

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Okay so this is my setup now. . .

I have a WRT54G upstairs, connected to the cable modem and a wired connection running to a hub in my basement.

I would like to replace the hub in my basement with a spare WGR614 that I have laying around and use it to extend my wireless signal.

How would I go about setting this up? I would like to use the WGR614 as both a wired hub and a range extender.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Turn off DHCP in the WGR614 and run a cable into a LAN port.

You can also give the router a static IP and plug into the WAN port, but you will kill access to the LAN for sharing files and folders.

czucker

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
When I tried that I couldn't get any internet access through the other LAN ports. . .

Also, how should I be naming the wireless on the WGR614? Should the name/security setting be the same as they are on the WRT54G?

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Security settings won't matter on the other wireless. You may want to name it different, and put it on another channel. That way you know which wireless you are connecting to.

As long as DHCP is on for the WRT54G you should be getting internet access. Make sure DHCP is off on the WGR614. And make sure you are plugging the cable from the WRT54G into the LAN port of the WGR614 not the WAN port.