DVD Drive Disappears

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I am running XP Pro. on my notebook. My DVD drive "disappears" from Windows.
I.e. it ceases to be in the list of drives in Windows Explorer, etc. About
once a week it does appear (!) and when it does it works fine.

Is this a known XP problem? Is there a fix?

The notebook manufacturer (SAGER) has virtually non-existent technical
support.

Many thanks.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

i have this happen from time to time with cd burners. the problem appears
to be with the burner, not the OS.

"Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
> I am running XP Pro. on my notebook. My DVD drive "disappears" from
Windows.
> I.e. it ceases to be in the list of drives in Windows Explorer, etc. About
> once a week it does appear (!) and when it does it works fine.
>
> Is this a known XP problem? Is there a fix?
>
> The notebook manufacturer (SAGER) has virtually non-existent technical
> support.
>
> Many thanks.

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

This usually has something to do with Roxio software
tapping into your hardware drivers.
Roxio components are bundled into MediaPlayer, so even if
you never installed it, you have Roxio.
If you then install Nero, you can have all sorts of
disappearing drives.
Even without Nero, if you tamper with Roxio by
uninstalling, changing versions, etc. your drives can get
trashed in Explorer.
Computers start to get extremely glitchy as soon as you
start installing multiple types of DVD-decoders, MP3
codecs, etc. Computers like to have only one flavor of
codec or decoder for each type of multimedia format.
If you know you have only one, then there's something
wrong in the registry.
A common fix is to delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters.
Check this out:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/uk/ecdc/drive_recovery.jht
ml

Thanks, JeffO. I will take a look at that.

"JeffO" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This usually has something to do with Roxio software
> tapping into your hardware drivers.
> Roxio components are bundled into MediaPlayer, so even if
> you never installed it, you have Roxio.
> If you then install Nero, you can have all sorts of
> disappearing drives.
> Even without Nero, if you tamper with Roxio by
> uninstalling, changing versions, etc. your drives can get
> trashed in Explorer.
> Computers start to get extremely glitchy as soon as you
> start installing multiple types of DVD-decoders, MP3
> codecs, etc. Computers like to have only one flavor of
> codec or decoder for each type of multimedia format.
> If you know you have only one, then there's something
> wrong in the registry.
> A common fix is to delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters.
> Check this out:
> http://www.roxio.com/en/support/uk/ecdc/drive_recovery.jht
> ml

I checked that registry key and there are no upper or lower filters. I
deinstalled MS Media Player 9 and still no change.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.