Never OC'd before. What do I do?

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hey guys,

I am currently running an Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6300 @ 2.80GHz (stock) with an ASUS P5QL-EPU motherboard and 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM. This processor is starting to annoy me as I am trying to make it do too much. I think the time has come to overclock this thing and get my moneys worth.

I am planning to get a CoolerMaster V8 air cooler with some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and see what I can do for now. This aparatus will not be wasted because I will be transferring it to my new system in a few months time. My current Antec 200 case has all of its fan brackets full so I will see what becomes of it with this monster cooler in it.

I have seen people on YouTube and other forums claim to get as much as 4.25GHz out of their E6300; I will be happy with a solid 3.50GHz.

Now that my technicalities are out of the way, exactly what am I supposed to do? Is it a simple matter of going into the BIOS at boot and changing some values or does it require more than that? What dp the references to "voltage", "VCore", "Front Side Bus" and other things mean?

I am not new to the realm of computers; I have been operating them since I could read and I have only gotten better. Hell, I currently work in a shop that sells computer components. The only thing is that I have always kept everything stock because I cared for warranties, restrictions and safety. I am past that now and want to squeeze every drop of power from this thing without physically melting it.

Thanks,
-Klosteral

I have never seen a CPUZ validation under load of a Wolfdale E6300 running at 4.25 GHz.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

I recommend that you do not overclock your RAM. Overclocking RAM in a Core2 system gets you little if any extra performance and it may decrease system stability.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth

Overclocking a Core2 system does not lend itself to a cookbook approach. You will spend a lot of time experimenting.

Do not exceed 70 C load temps or 1.45 volts vcore.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Ok, that sounds good, thanks!

Do you think I have made a good choice on my cooling material or should I go for something better/worse?

Thanks,
-Klosteral

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Few tips for overclocking

1) keep voltages with in 10% of stock. Preferably less, but *in general* 10% is the safe *max*

2) Cooler the better, but aim for at least under 70c

3) Prime95 and Memtest are your friends for simple burn-ins

4) Name Brands and reviews on Motherboards/Memory/PSUs/Cases(Not as namebrand dependant)

4.a) Don't skimp on your Power Supply Unit(PSU). Brand names only and review, review, review.

5) Do your research, but following 1-3 should keep you safe.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
My current stock CPU cooler at stock speeds gets up to about 56*C under load, with an idle temp of 37. VID seems to be about 1.10v-1.28v which means I should aim to go no higher than 1.40v total. My powersupply is a CoolerMaster Extreme Power+ 500W, with an ASUS P5QL-EPU motherboard. The motherboard has an intergrated overclock tuner and I might give it a go once I am happy with my choice of cooler.

Thanks,
-Klosteral