Sign in with
Your question

SD Memory Card Readers

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2009 7:25:21 AM

I'm looking for a reliable SD memory card reader, preferably an internal drive bay multi-function panel type that includes USB ports. I've purchased a couple of these things (generic models); the USB ports have never been a problem, but the card readers have either not worked from the outset or have ceased functioning after a short period. Any recommendations?

Thanks

More about : memory card readers

August 9, 2009 12:08:05 PM

Lian Li do a nice aluminium one in silver of black, used mine for three years, quickish and reliable.
m
l
August 11, 2009 9:46:31 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2009 6:08:39 PM

One of the problems with the internal readers is that if you accidentally do the "Safely remove device" thing on them, they become inaccessible. With a normal USB device you can just plug it back in, but with those you'd have to open the case up to do that, or reboot your system. That's one of the reasons why I stick with external readers connected via a cable.

I have a Sandisk reader which I'm very happy with.
m
l
August 11, 2009 11:35:12 PM

sminlal said:
One of the problems with the internal readers is that if you accidentally do the "Safely remove device" thing on them, they become inaccessible. With a normal USB device you can just plug it back in, but with those you'd have to open the case up to do that, or reboot your system.
That is annoying. I disable write caching on the device and leave the 'Safely Remove Hardware' alone.
m
l
!