Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P55 UD4P Build

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2009 12:59:28 AM

Hello all, I am getting ready to build a new PC and have a few questions about how to get it up and running, Waiting on my HD 5850 that should come tuesday.

THE BUILD
GPU HD 5850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MOBO P55 UD4P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU i5 750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM GSkillz ripjaws DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDD WD Black 640 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU Corsair 750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HSF Xiggy Dark Knight http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Win 7

I will OC this PC after i get it up and running stable for a few months.

Will run
Intels burn test
Prime95
Memtest

Questions
1. Whats the best way to Flash the bios ( I dont have a floopy drive) I do have a usb flash drive

2. The Ram i went with is 1600 for OCing @ a latter time, What setting in the bios should i use to set ram timings ? should i set it to just run 1333 to i am ready to OC ?

3. Any bios setting to tweek before installing the OC

Any help would be grate :) 

More about : p55 ud4p build

October 25, 2009 2:20:04 AM

Thanks for the info bilbat :) 

Question Should i install win 7 first or update the bios

This is greek to me because most systems i have build been around a few years or so when i buy the mobos it really never needed a bios update.

but being this is a new platfrom i am sure it will

Thanks nik

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 25, 2009 2:51:50 PM

I don't think it will make a differenct to Win7, but, just on general principles, I would do the BIOS first - my reasoning: you are very right about 'riding herd' on new BIOS releases for these (1156/1366) MOBOs; each update usually brings real improvements in compatibility and performance, and people, for the main part, aren't aware of it, but the winsows installers in particular, and any 'major program' installer in general, make exceptionally good 'stress testers' in and of themselves - so you want that new BIOS in place to contribute all the stability you can muster... You don't want to use the windoze-based @BIOS updater anyway, as it's a board-killer; the problem appears to be that @BIOS, unlike the other two methods, seems to be able to 'corrupt' the BIOS' 'boot block' when it 'goes bad', and the boot block contains the BIOS recovery code that enables both 'reversion' to the 'safe' BIOS stored in 'dual BIOS', and the possibility of recovery by doing a 'blind flash' - and, voila, your MOBO is 'bricked'!
October 26, 2009 12:32:22 PM

Is there a link to remedy a board that @BIOS has "bricked"?
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 2:29:15 PM

(1) Bilbat's input was excellent
(2) Link to "Bricked" Bios - Unless you can recover using clear CMOS about the ONLY remedy is sending it back to gigabyte to either replace, or reprogram the CMOS Chip.
(3) And to reemphize - Make sure bios is the latest. Newer versions correct some memory compatability issues. You may need to first boot using just one stick of memory. At this point in time your bios ver should be new enough that it corrects the memory problem, I just mention this incase you have a problem booting into the BIOS.
(4) You should be able to put the bios file on a usb stick vs a floppy.
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 2:52:12 PM

Quote:
Is there a link to remedy a board that @BIOS has "bricked"?

This is why we call it 'bricked' - at that point, it is only good for propping open a door (and, frankly, the actual brick does a better job of this, too!) There is a procedure for (sometimes) recovering a board that has not been killed by @BIOS, but has somehow corrupted, or is unable to load the backup BIOS, called a 'blind flash'; most info is here:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
and, should anyone need it, I can do a walk-through. To be able to do this requires that you have a floppy, and that the floppy be first in your boot order - before you 'dump' the board - as, after you 'dump' the board, you won't be able to enter the BIOS to change this! This makes the system waste a second, and make a little bit of noise as it 'hits' the floppy, every time it boots - but, it's a small price to pay for disaster preparedness!
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 5:15:30 PM

It's already been said, but get your BIOS setup first then install the OS. In particular, decide if you're going to run SATA in IDE or AHCI. Switching from one to the other after installing the OS is typically an unpleasant experience.
October 26, 2009 9:31:11 PM

Thanks for the tips all my GPU should come tomorrow, and cross my finger i get the bios flashed right :)  looking @ the website bill posted it still seems greek :) 

1. question
I looked @ gigabytes website and it has a beta should i be a guinea pig or use the next one down its F3

I will see what my bios is anyways on post a guess

Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 26, 2009 10:30:20 PM

These (P55/X58) boards are 'beta' (except for the X58-UD3Rr1.6 - it's genuine second generation - and a new extreme2 on the way...)! Don't let the beta disclaimer bother you; they're churning out these revisions by the carload, trying to keep up with user's experience/problems - I think I saw an 'h' beta rev the other day! I have yet to read of anyone fixing anything by 'backing down' a rev (which is not always the case - I have an X48 that is decidedly more stable on F8c than F8d)...
October 27, 2009 12:20:08 AM

Ok Thanks

Just hope this will be a stable system :o  after the hiccups get worked out of this new platform.
October 29, 2009 1:10:20 AM

Hi all, Thanks for the input got my HD 5850 today :)  updated the bios got Win 7 in Updates and drivers.

Only thing i see wrong ATM is my ram is running 9-9-9-24 i set the dram volts to 1.64

Any input as to how to get it @ its 7-7-7-24 rating ?

Thanks
October 30, 2009 3:20:44 AM

Anyone ? :) 
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2009 10:59:50 AM

If you want to set the timings manually, on the Advanced Memory Settings tab change DRAM Selectable Timing (SPD) to Expert. On the same screen pressing enter on the Channel A Timing Settings and Channel B Timing Settings will take you to the timing settings screens. With the change to Expert you will be able to edit the timings on this screen.
October 31, 2009 7:35:25 PM

ekoostik said:
If you want to set the timings manually, on the Advanced Memory Settings tab change DRAM Selectable Timing (SPD) to Expert. On the same screen pressing enter on the Channel A Timing Settings and Channel B Timing Settings will take you to the timing settings screens. With the change to Expert you will be able to edit the timings on this screen.

Ok so if i set it there it should run @ its timings of 7-7-7-24 ? I dont care ATM about the 1600 because iam not OC ATM

should XMP be on or off ?

Any other stuff in the bios to set for best proformance ?

ATM i set the bios to optimized defaults
pci express fre to 100
full screen logo off
floppy drive off ( SO it dont show i have a floppy drive in Win 7 )
HPET mode to 64 bit

ran Prime95 for 45 mins no errors on blend test

One other thing is in CPU-Z when running prime95 the CPU go up to X21 @ 2.7 + ( i thought it might hit 3.2 with the turbo or is this because prime95 is useing more then one therad ?

Any help would be grate from you bios pros :)  Thanks nik
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 1, 2009 12:00:47 AM

To set up your RAM, the first thing we need to do is 'read' the SPD/EPP/XMP/WhatHaveYou off the DIMMS themselves... (JEDEC spec'd RAM has a little EEPROM chip in it that stores the set-up information/tables for running it at 800 at various speeds - has the preferred memory multiplier and timing info - this is called an SPD [Serial Presence Detect] just to confuse us; faster, higher rated sticks may [but don't necessarily] contain another set of tables [called an EPP - this one makes sense - Enhanced Performance Profile, or XMP - eXtended Memory Profile] that will tell the BIOS what multiplier/latencies to use at its higher rated speed - BUT - not all BIOS are created equal: some will read this EPP automatically, and set the RAM at the higher speed; some will require intervention {on a lot of GBs, it's "Load Optimized Defaults" [but, to keep it more confusing - not all BIOS with the "Load Optimized Defaults" fuction actually use it to set the EPP]}, and some just plainly don't know the EPP exists [if it does] and you have to set the higher speed manually!) Anyhow, download this:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b6.zip
unzip and run it, click on the SPD button in the top center, capture that screen, and the main screen and post them, and I'll try to walk you through the setup...
If you've never 'capture and posted' before, there's a little tutorial here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264718-30-capture-pos...
November 1, 2009 2:52:01 AM

Okies bill i will get the info needed, as soon as i can find that program to dload ( the link dont work ) and i tryed memSet4 but was not for the chipset :( 

Got another link ? i tryed to find the program no go
November 1, 2009 12:59:43 PM

Ok bill that linked worked but i ran the program and got a error (not for this chipset)

System specs

P55-UD4P
i5 750
GSkill ripjaws 1600 7-7-7-24
WD black 640
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 1, 2009 1:13:45 PM

Ackk! The release notes:
-Add support for Intel Core i3 & i5 (Clarkdale) CPUs.
-Increase reading some timings (tWR, tRTP, tFAW) on Core i7.
-Fix a bug when Apply setting with Intel 945 GME chipsets.
As an i5 only runs on the P55 chipset (that I know of) I assumed that would work. I'll hunt around to see if I can find another good SPD reader - the only other one I know of I am hesitant to recommend, as it is capable of writing an SPD, which you don't want to do by accident! Also, it gives the SPD data in raw timings (picoseconds) rather than counts, which makes it harder to work with...
November 1, 2009 1:16:58 PM

Ok thanks no rush as its still working @ 9-9-9-24 fine and stable :) 

But hate that i payed for 7-7-7-24 and useing 9-9-9-24 :) 

Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 2, 2009 12:38:07 PM

Well, I spent considerable time 'pusuing' another tool, and finally found a 'hidden' copy, only to discover that it's buggy on mere 775 systems - may be the reason the original download files were deleted in the first place...

Thought we might try this:
  1. >>>>> Channel A/B Standard Timing Control
  3. CAS Latency Time
  4. tRCD ____
  5. tRP ____
  6. tRAS ____
  8. >>>>> Channel A/B Advanced Timing Control
  10. tRC ____
  11. tRRD ____
  12. tWTR ____
  13. tWR ____
  14. tWTP ____
  15. tWL ____
  16. tRFC ____
  17. tRTP ____
  18. tFAW ____
  19. Command Rate(CMD)
  21. >>>>> Channel A/B Misc Timing Control
  23. Round Trip Latency ____
  25. >>>>> Channel A/B Reads Followed by Reads
  27. Different DIMMs ____
  28. Different Ranks ____
  29. On The Same Rank ____

Try copying it to notepad, print it out, and then go into your BIOS and simply 'fill in the blanks', and we'll see what we have to work with...

Bill
November 2, 2009 1:04:29 PM

I'm watching this thread closely, because my build is frighteningly similar to OP's. I have different RAM and cooler, but other than that, we are pretty much component for component, lol.

I'm still watching the retailers like a hawk for 5850's before I 'pull the trigger' but I digress...

My question is this. I too have lined up 1600 RAM. The OP wanted to tighten timings and bump down to 1333 MHz. Will this be a noticeable improvement in real world apps like gaming? If so, I may consider the same thing. To be honest, this is my first build since the days of FSB and the math involved with that. Now that it essentially doesn't exist with i5, I'm curious how 1333 vs 1600 will work out.

Thanks for the responses too, bill. You're helping more than one noob here!

(nik this isn't meant to hijack your thread. I can make another if you'd like me too.)
November 3, 2009 12:51:23 AM

Ok bill i got the info

Code :

1.>>>>> Channel A/B Standard Timing Control
3.CAS Latency Time 9
4.tRCD 9____
5.tRP 9____
6.tRAS 24____
8.>>>>> Channel A/B Advanced Timing Control
10.tRC 33____
11.tRRD 4____
12.tWTR 5____
13.tWR 10____
14.tWTP 21____
15.tWL 7____
16.tRFC 74____
17.tRTP 5____
18.tFAW 20____
19.Command Rate(CMD) 1
21.>>>>> Channel A/B Misc Timing Control
23.Round Trip Latency 46 on a 47 on b____
25.>>>>> Channel A/B Reads Followed by Reads
27.Different DIMMs 6____
28.Different Ranks 5____
29.On The Same Rank 1____

Writes if you need them

Channel A/B Writes Followed by writes

I have a question about how to check the system if its stable

I have ran memtest86+ 4.0 for 7 1/2 hours no errors
I have ran prime95 for 45 mins on 4 threads no errors
I have ran prime95 on 1 thread for 45mins no errors

Kid goes on utube PC locks up ( think it might be a driver issue ? ) With the GPU ?

Thanks nik

a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2009 1:12:04 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Kid goes on utube PC locks up ( think it might be a driver issue ? ) With the GPU ?

I would bet GPU driver issue. I had the same problem. System tested stable, but if I went to Hulu and played a video full screen my PC would lock up. Gigabyte (my GPU manufacturer) had a driver on their site that failed, windows update found a more recent driver that failed. I finally went to AMD's website and downloaded the latest driver directly from them. Haven't run into a lock-up since.

At the risk of over-explaining: To find the latest just go through the dropdowns on the upper right-hand side under "Download Drivers":
http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 3, 2009 1:41:31 AM

Better place to go is:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Current rev is 9.10... I never noticed in your signature that you've got a 5850, too! Götterdämmerung!! Doesn't anyone ever buy anything technological that is tried and proven?!?! This obsessive compulsion with getting tomorrow's technology today, unfortunately, means that along with it come next week's problems, whose solutions often take six months to show up!

I'll get to work on those RAM timings - might have something tomorrow - meantime, DL and install the driver (I've got to, too - mine is 9.9, which means I've got to install and configure my Avivo stuff over again...) Sometimes, it seems, it just never ends... "Good today, junk tomorrow and worthless next week in the never ending circle of the pc hardware bottomless money pit of losing value..."
November 3, 2009 1:55:27 AM

bilbat said:
Better place to go is:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Current rev is 9.10... I never noticed in your signature that you've got a 5850, too! Götterdämmerung!! Doesn't anyone ever buy anything technological that is tried and proven?!?! This obsessive compulsion with getting tomorrow's technology today, unfortunately, means that along with it come next week's problems, whose solutions often take six months to show up!

I'll get to work on those RAM timings - might have something tomorrow - meantime, DL and install the driver (I've got to, too - mine is 9.9, which means I've got to install and configure my Avivo stuff over again...) Sometimes, it seems, it just never ends... "Good today, junk tomorrow and worthless next week in the never ending circle of the pc hardware bottomless money pit of losing value..."

Ok thanks bilbat

And i have to say With your stament above ^ how very true that is :)  but for better or worse i am done for 3 yesrs Wink wink lol

a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2009 11:28:51 AM

Niklas,
Have you tested with the latest version of the drivers? I ran some more testing yesterday and unfortunately did not go as well as I thought it would. I did a clean upgrade of my machine to RTM Windows 7 x64 Pro and installed all drivers including rev 9.10 from AMD. I made it about 15 minutes into a full screen show and just when I thought I was in the clear it went black and basically locked up on me. So I'm very curious to hear if you've had better results.

Also watching to see how your RAM work goes. I may do some tightening of my own if it goes well for you.
November 5, 2009 3:51:18 PM

Niklas_13,

Are you running Windows 7 64-bit?
Do you have any internet connection issues?

I was unable to connect to the internet on my GA P55-UD4P with either Windows 7 Professional 64-bit or with Windows XP Home SP2. :fou: 

I RMA'd the board today to newegg.

CPU: i7-860 Lynnfield
PSU: Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W
RAM: GSkill 4 X 2GB DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
HDD: 2 x WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Graphics: 2 x SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4890 1GB Crossfire
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower
Optical drive: LITE-ON Black BD-COMBO SATA Model
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme RT 1366 Rev C CPU Cooler
November 5, 2009 9:31:50 PM

ekoostik said:
Niklas,
Have you tested with the latest version of the drivers? I ran some more testing yesterday and unfortunately did not go as well as I thought it would. I did a clean upgrade of my machine to RTM Windows 7 x64 Pro and installed all drivers including rev 9.10 from AMD. I made it about 15 minutes into a full screen show and just when I thought I was in the clear it went black and basically locked up on me. So I'm very curious to hear if you've had better results.

Also watching to see how your RAM work goes. I may do some tightening of my own if it goes well for you.

Farrwalker said:
Niklas_13,

I tryed with cat 9.10 and 9.11

The drivers that came with the GPU dont seem to have the pointer getting bigger problem but it will still freeze @ times.

Are you running Windows 7 64-bit?
Do you have any internet connection issues?

I was unable to connect to the internet on my GA P55-UD4P with either Windows 7 Professional 64-bit or with Windows XP Home SP2. :fou: 

I RMA'd the board today to newegg.

CPU: i7-860 Lynnfield
PSU: Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W
RAM: GSkill 4 X 2GB DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
HDD: 2 x WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Graphics: 2 x SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4890 1GB Crossfire
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower
Optical drive: LITE-ON Black BD-COMBO SATA Model
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme RT 1366 Rev C CPU Cooler

No connection problems

Yes i am on Win 7 home per 64. bit

only random lockups when video playbacks going on and my mouse pointer gets really big when i go on the internet with cat 9.10 and 9.11 betas
November 6, 2009 11:05:24 PM

ekoostik said:
Niklas,

Hey try the f4t bios it seems to have fixed my problem with the mouse pointer and video playback. they addressed somthing with the PCI-E

November 7, 2009 12:09:42 AM

Hello bil :)  any info on the ram ?

I have a noob question :) 
on the gigabyte website there are new drivers /chipset/ect

Now when i dload the files to my dload file it wants to extact them but i dont know whare i should put them or do i just extract them to the temp folder and run the exe then dlete the files it leaves there ?

got the drivers in

Got the ram to work @ 1600 7-7-7-24 with the new bios and setting xmp on the ram, now seems my CPU is stuck @ 166 X 17 any clue ?

this is all very confusing lol
November 9, 2009 12:39:20 AM

to Niklas

the BCLK has raised, hence BIOS drops the ratio in case of overclocking~
just manually set the ratio back to default (19? or 20), and manually enable Turbo Boost, EIST and etc. in MIT Advance CPU Features.
November 9, 2009 1:25:07 AM

Hello i set the bclk to 133 and ratio to 20X went in MIT / ADV

Set turbo to ena
all
ena
ena
ena
ena
ena

now when i run CPU-Z it shows 133x24 all the time if i run a stress test with 1 thread or 4

Shurgs pulls hair :p 

a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2009 2:21:19 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Hey try the f4t bios it seems to have fixed my problem with the mouse pointer and video playback. they addressed somthing with the PCI-E

Thanks! I pulled off the latest for my GA-P55M-UD2 - it's F4k. So far it has been running full screen Hulu without the lock up problems I had before. I loaded optimized settings and changed the SATA to run AHCI before running these tests. Now I just have to find time to make the other 12 changes in BIOS I usually make and then re-test.

Niklas_13 said:
now when i run CPU-Z it shows 133x24 all the time if i run a stress test with 1 thread or 4

It may be a result of the other changes you made in the BIOS. What does your board idle at? I had run into problems in the past where it stayed locked at a certain multiplier. I finally got it to drop down to x9 at idle, and x26 under 1 thread load. You may want to re-load your BIOS optimized defaults. That will clear out any setting you may hace changed that is causing the problem. Then enable XMP, or set timings by hand. Then make the change to advanced CPU core features like you noted.
The changes I had to make in the BIOS were on the Advanced CPU Core Features page:
Intel Turbo Boost Tech. - changed from Auto to Enabled
CPU Cores Enabled - left as All
CPU Multi-Threading - left as Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - changed from Auto to Enabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support - changed from Auto to Enabled
CPU Thermal Monitor - changed from Auto to Enabled
CPU EIST Function - changed from Auto to Enabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT - changed from Auto to Enabled
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=331435

I should add I have not had time to test/check the multipliers since loading the latest BIOS.
November 9, 2009 2:34:04 AM

I guess the problem is my CPU wont under clock now it idles @ 133x 21 to 133x24

I have set the bios to opt defaults and then tryed again and it still is locked @ 133x21 or jumps to 133x24

I wonder if thos 3rd party testing program are really spot on :p 

I ran prime95 intels burn test memetest ect all day one day off and on for hours then today intel said my CPU was unstable and check my cooling and core temps never went over 58C

Shurgs
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2009 10:21:10 AM

I had two thoughts since I last posted. I see you have also come up with both of them. What temperatures are you reaching? And what versions of which 3rd party tools are you using. If you're using SpeedFan it reports Core temps too LOW by about 15C - unless there's been an update made in the last couple weeks. CPU-Z should report multipliers correctly, it has for me although I have not tested with latest BIOS. Make sure you have the latest CPU-Z.

Try first loading optimized BIOS and ensuring you are getting around a 9x multiplier at idle and x26 multiplier under 1 thread of Prime 95. If you do, then make 1 BIOS change at a time and see which 'locks' your multiplier. If you don't, then that's the place to start to figure out what's going on.
November 9, 2009 10:45:16 AM

Ok so i set bios to optimized and only set my ram volts, thats it .

truned on cpu-z ver 1.52.2 and shows i am running @ 136.6x24 @ idle or 1 thread in prime95

Now core temps ver 0.99.5.7 show show CPU @ 9x136.6 to 21x 136.6 but in prime95 with 1 thread it dont show it going past 21x

1 wired thing this morning tho my CPU fan in going full board and in bios the cpu temps show off the wall temp @ times like -119 or + 90 but in core temps its btween 25C and 66C

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
November 9, 2009 9:36:37 PM

niklas;

sorry this has taken forever, but it got way more complicated than I originally thought!

First of, this is a piece I usually include in my overclocks, and now would be a great time to learn and use it:

"Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS; notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

Now, assuming your bCLK is still at its originall 133, set your memory multiplier to 10X, and try these:

>>>>> Channel A/B Standard Timing Control

CAS Latency Time 9 [6]
tRCD 9 [6]
tRP 9 [6]
tRAS 24 [22] (will likely work at 20, but test here first...)

>>>>> Channel A/B Advanced Timing Control

tRC 33 [27]
tRRD 4 [4]
tWTR 5 [4]
tWR 10 [8]
tWTP 21 [17]
tWL 7 [5]
tRFC 74 [64]
tRTP 5 [5]
tFAW 20 [18]
Command Rate(CMD) 1T

>>>>> Channel A/B Misc Timing Control

23.Round Trip Latency 46 on a 47 on b (leave as set...)
>>>>> Channel A/B Reads Followed by Reads

Different DIMMs 6 [6]
Different Ranks 5 [5]
On The Same Rank 1 [4]

Writes if you need them

Channel A/B Writes Followed by writes
(leave the rest in auto...)

November 9, 2009 10:00:41 PM

np bill, I just been having some fun fliping switches and trying some other things others has posted but to me seems like i can get the ram set to the right timmings but then the turbo wont kick in. :) 

Anyways i will try this tonight when i have some time and the wifes not giving that evil eye thing they do :) 

Bios f4t seemed to fix the mouse pointer and random lockups :bounce: 

Like you said before we are all Guinea pigs with this s1156 for now :) 

Thanks
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 9, 2009 11:04:37 PM

It is ever thus with new platforms - the first couple of generations of hardware are always 'beta', and sometimes they sink rather than swim - look at the P35/43C, never did get it working right, though it was a noble idea; I just wish the 'whole plunge' had been taken at once - now we have to look forward to degugging while suffering with SATA3 and USB3 chipset implementations! I had been hoping to invest in a couple 'second generation' X58 boards; now, if I want to actually play it safe, it looks like I'll be waiting for fourth generation stuff:cry: 
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList/WebPage/mb_091020_...

BTW - they're up to F4v now!
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Do...
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 12:58:37 AM

bilbat, wow. How do you figure those timings out? I've been wanting to play with mine but don't know where to begin with the Advanved Timings. I got similar RAM but CAS9's. Kinda wishing now I'd spent the extra $ and got the CAS7's, they seem to be much more popular. And the price on both kinds is now up $15-$25! So how do you determine what to use for the timings?
November 10, 2009 1:08:29 AM

computer science degree with some rocket science degree and a splash of lime maybe ?

a c 177 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 1:31:27 AM

FM!
November 10, 2009 1:45:46 AM

bil i set it as you said

only problem i hade was

ON THE SAME RANK it was set to 1 (you said set to 4) there was no 4 only 1 or 2 i left it @ auto seems to run @ 6-6-6-22 now and i can see my turbo working :)  :bounce: 

I will leave it as is less you think 1 or 2 would be better going to run a memtest all night will post back

for bios f4v i will wait to the next one i dont have a iphone anyways thos cost half of this PC lol

Thanks
November 10, 2009 9:38:33 AM

think i'm a bit late to the party... but still...

i have a similar build, and almost identical problems, i.e., random lockups and huge mouse pointer and the incredible slowness when viewing HD movies...

now my spec is : gigabyte P55M-UD2 i5-750 corsair DDR3@1333 4GB Sapphire HD 5870 mobo driver is stock, and CAT driver is 9.10

i thought flashing the bios to the latest (F4n) would solve the problem... but nope, after flashing the bios, like 1 minute booting into vista, it still locked up on me, couldn't even get to test whether the mouse pointer problem is solved or not :-(

i noticed one of the posters in this thread, ekoostik, also use a p55m-ud2 mobo, and he said he solved this similar problem by upgrading drivers... so, ekoostik, could u tell me ur spec is how exactly u solved this lockup problem? Thanks
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 9:55:59 AM

karsus said:
think i'm a bit late to the party... but still...

i have a similar build, and almost identical problems, i.e., random lockups and huge mouse pointer and the incredible slowness when viewing HD movies...

now my spec is : gigabyte P55M-UD2 i5-750 corsair DDR3@1333 4GB Sapphire HD 5870 mobo driver is stock, and CAT driver is 9.10

i thought flashing the bios to the latest (F4n) would solve the problem... but nope, after flashing the bios, like 1 minute booting into vista, it still locked up on me, couldn't even get to test whether the mouse pointer problem is solved or not :-(

i noticed one of the posters in this thread, ekoostik, also use a p55m-ud2 mobo, and he said he solved this similar problem by upgrading drivers... so, ekoostik, could u tell me ur spec is how exactly u solved this lockup problem? Thanks

Unfortunately, I think you are having bigger issues than I was. We're probably going to need more help. Why don't you start a new thread explaining the problem. Send me a link and I'll be happy to respond.

EDIT: Karsus has moved his problem to a new thread for those who are interested: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265693-30-p55m-5870-c...
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 2:06:24 PM

While we've got a couple people's attention, couldja please try something for me? (You, too, niklas - this is a new rev...) DL MemSet here:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b6.zip
and see if it will run on your boards? It will make coming up with RAM parameters for everyone much easier (and more accurate) if we can get it working; if it was just a peculiarity that it wouldn't run on niklas_13's machine we got that covered, but if it 'generically' won't run on any GB P55, I'd like to post that to the writer, and see if we can get it fixed... I will be glad to come up with RAM settings, and, for those who want to (and have any cooling other than the Intel rotary postage stamp), overclocks. I am planning a series of X58/P55 builds, and need the experience! (And that 'rev A' P55A-UD4P looks awfully tasty :pt1cable:  )
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 2:27:21 PM

I was just out there earlier hoping they'd updated with P55 support. I'll be happy to give this a try when I get home tonight. Glad to hear we're getting some attention!
!