ASRock x58 Extreme

knuppel

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hey everyone. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new computer. I'm gonna be using http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=X58%20Extreme for a mobo. I'm gonna get a i7-920 and a 260gtx. The only thing I'm not totally sure on is the RAM. I'm going to be using windows 7 64bit.

Can anyone think of RAM that will be more compatible/better performance to price ratio than this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223) RAM? I'm trying to build it on the cheap, but I don't want cheap performance. I will be overclocking, not sure if that makes a difference.

All info is appreciated. Thanks in advanced for the help :)

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
For $70 and free shipping, I always recommend the Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339. I've been getting 7-7-7-19 timings at 1600. Most companies use the same modules in Dual Channel kits that they use in Triple Channel kits. When I put 4 modules in for 8GB, it CPU-Z states my memory as Triple Channel instead of Dual Channel.

^ No... I wouldnt do that...
Yes you are right about 1 thing - Same RAM modules are used for Dual and Tri- Channel kits...
If you populate just 2 SLots on that board, it would run in Dual-Channel and not in Tri-Channel...Dual/ Tri channel depends on the memory controller present on the CPU...So you would need to populate atleast 3 slots to get Tri-Channel config...

noktek

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

im about to build a very similar system, same cpu same mobo but MSIs GTX275 lighting and i have solid resons to do that, naemly CUDA for voxel sculpting and nvidias driver playing better with 3dapps n such. people on mudbox forums (just an example) said having strange artifacts with ATIs (5xxx series even) and reccomend sticking to gtx.

also, prices have went down a bit, so well im ight be going an error giving out that kind of money for the gpu but OP surely isnt.. jnot sure if my reasons apply!

knuppel

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I'm going to use the 260gtx because someone is willing to give it to me for free :) and that saves alot of money. So am I correct in saying that the corsair ram is the fastest of those 3 links? Also, I'm a bit worried that none of those are on my motherboards QVL. Am I asking for trouble my getting RAM that isn't qualified? If corsair is the fastest and you nobody thinks there will be a compatibility problem I'll buy the corsair.

@noktek As the cards are new, they would have driver issues...as time goes by, those issues will be resolved...So I the problem is with the drivers and not the cards...

@knuppel Any of the RAM will work with that mobo...All the above RAM sets satisfy the main criteria - RAM voltage - 1.65V. So you should have no issues going with them...

fellblade

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Just a heads up, Kingston triple channel ram has been shown to cause exceptions with this motherboard. Both the 3 GB kits and the 6GB kits seem to default to dual channel without the option to use triple channel. For some reason regardless of the rams configuration in the slots or the bios settings for the x58 extreme, the ram sets seem to revert to dual channel. Also, considering the "a1,b1,a2,b2,a3,b3" Ram slot setup, if the cards are not installed in an "a1,b1,b2" configuration, only 2 GB or 4 GB (depending on the set you own-3 GB or 6 GB) will be discoverable. One of the cards will always be null. At least by using the "a1,b1,b2" configuration, all three cards can be accessed in dual channel mode. Kingston products have had compatibility issues with products of Asus and its subsidiaries for quite a while

zanu_yonutz2000

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Thank you for this a1,b1,b2 setup, will try it(hope this works). 2 days ago i have updated the BIOS to the latest for x58extreme, and its worse than before (after 15min my PC freezes). 3gb Kingston 1066 . :(