Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antec Earth watts 750 or corsair 750 tx

Last response: in Components
August 9, 2009 5:58:38 PM

I"m looking at both these PSU's, the prices are very comparable and both of them are from a good brand, but I can't decide. More people buy the corsair but the antec seams like a better psu (slightly modular, more amps on 12v rail)
here are the links

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to suggest anything else feel free, here is the system it will be running.

AMD phenom x3 720 oc'd
750a mobo
500gb caviar black
dual 9800GTX+'s
or something higher like a gtx 260 sli setup or a 4800 series crossfire or a gtx 285 or a setup with cards that havn't come out (just keeping my options open here)

I know the wattage seam a little excessive but I'm probably going to use this for a while, maybe run an i7 off it, I want it to be able to handle stuff like the 5000 series cards and the gtx 300 series and CPU platforms that havn't been released yet. becasue my next upgrade will probably be to something like that.

ask questions if something doesn't make sense
PS: suggestions have to be 80 plus
August 9, 2009 6:12:27 PM

My favourite is Chieftec and Cooler Master, but if you need to choose between Corsair and Antec , I tell go for Corsair because they are good and it will last you for a long time.
m
l
August 9, 2009 7:06:42 PM

BokiNish said:
My favourite is Chieftec and Cooler Master, but if you need to choose between Corsair and Antec , I tell go for Corsair because they are good and it will last you for a long time.

Cooler master is nice, I was looking at one of those, the coolermaster ultimate to be exact, it's just a little more expensive.
I'll check out some chieftec, any recomedations on psu's from either of those two brands?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 144 ) Power supply
August 9, 2009 7:08:25 PM

Corsair is the better power supply. It will have more usable power. The Corsair has a single 60 amp rail. The Antec has 4 rails, each capable of providing up to 25 amps. Clearly, they all cannot provide 25 amps at the same time (100 amps X 12 volts = 1200 watts).

If you look closely at the Antec label:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

you will see that it can provide a total of 56 amps.

If you are going to run two video cards, you will not have many cables left over. In that case, modular is largely wasted.

One of the other tech sites tested the 750TX. When they were done, they decided to see how much power they could pull out of it before it shut itself down. At 900 watts, they said 12 volt ripple was a little high, but still within specs.

The resources that Antec put into the modular cables, Corsair put into the power supply itself.

Except for the Basiq line (Antec cuts too many corner to meet their price point in my opinion), Antec builds good PSU's. But Corsairs are better.

I own a 750TX - and two older Antecs. They have all performed flawlessly.
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 9, 2009 7:23:36 PM

I'm going to go with Corsair, simply because its the cheaper one. I doubt you'd ever really miss those 4A. (56 vs 60.) You won't go wrong either way, so let price be your guide.

JSC, how often are you going to say this crap? Provide a link to these cut corners, or just STF up. We've already gone over this, the Basiq's are ok PSUs. Actually, I love to see a link about a 750W PSU outputting 900Ws. Why buy a 1kW if you can just get a 750W?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2009 9:04:14 PM

Personally I'd go Corsair 750HX as they're a step up again.

Is this a replacement unit for an existing system or you building it? If teh latter, why not just go i7 now?
m
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 9, 2009 9:55:06 PM

Thanks for the link Dell, to lazy to look it up. They only got another 6A out of the 12V rails. (6A X 12V = 72W) 72W + 750W ~825W. Seeing as its the 12V ripple they were concerned about, I wonder if they couldn't get 7/8A out reliably. It does no good to load up the 3.3/5V rails as we don't run systems off that anymore. Still impressive though. After reading some more, it might have something to do with their equipment as well.

Quote:
In fact, when we tried to pull even more power from this unit (i.e. when we tried to pull more than 10 A from +5 V and +3.3 V) the circuit breaker here at our lab disarmed. We wanted to see our power supply disarming, not the circuit breaker.

This is actually really bad. If the PSU will keep outputting reguardless of the output, it could fry something. You need to have OCP/OPP turned on, and at sensible values. There is a reason we have those technologies.

LePhuronn, a step up from what?
m
l
August 10, 2009 12:21:49 AM

the general consensus seams to be for the corsair, thanks for all the input, and JSC thanks for pointing out how multiple rails, worked, never really understood that.

LePhuronn said:
Personally I'd go Corsair 750HX as they're a step up again.

Is this a replacement unit for an existing system or you building it? If teh latter, why not just go i7 now?

Right now I'm just upgrading my CPU and maybe adding another or different GPU, and the PSU I have now is cutting it close on amps and watts, (earth watts 380 that I got for free), so for the upgrade I want a new PSU, but I also dont' want to have to buy A new one iF I decide to do a bigger upgrade latter on down the road.

Thanks again
m
l
!