Sign in with
Your question

I7 Build Posted, now to load Win 7

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2009 4:04:49 PM

My I7 build has posted successfully !

Of course, it helped when I plugged in the 8pin motherboard power cable, which I had forgotten first time around. Now I need to load Windows 7 RC, which is only about 10% downloaded so far... I only have access to decent internet service at my mother-in-laws house and had to suspend the download with 9 hours to go when I left there last night. Hopefully, she will follow my instructions and complete the download today.

Actually, there is one more minor detail: In my incompetence/inexperience/hurry I carefully installed the cooler with the fan on the wrong side (it is next to the out fan from the case and so the airflow is exactly opposite to what it should be). On the Xiggy, that means that I need to remove the motherboard, remove the fan, remove the cooler, possibly redo the thermal goo, put the cooler on the correct way around, reattach the cooler, reattach the fan and replace the motherboard in the box, complete with all cables. <sigh>

My system;

Case: Cooler Master RC690 (great case, but no speaker which is normally okay, but the motherboard I got does not have a display to show error codes so if there had been a problem posting it would have been difficult to diagnose)
PSU: Corsair 750TX
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE
CPU: I7-920
Cooler: Xigmatek S-1283 Dark Knight
Thermal Goo: Arctic Cooling MX2
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB 1333
GPU: Sapphire 4870 1GB
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 1TB
DVD Burner: Samsung SH-S223Q
Monitor: Samsung 2433BW 24" 1920x1200
Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech Internet 350 (yes, they have cables, but less chance of interference, no batteries needed and only about $15)

All told, it cost about $1,500 but that includes the monitor, which most people seem to exclude from their costing.

Thanks to everyone on here and NewEgg for their advice and tips.

In my experience these are the most useful ones for my particular build;

1. The case is great, and is genuinely tool-less apart from screwing in the PSU and the motherboard. The motherboard screws (not the standoffs, which are in a baggie) are supplied screwed along the hard drive enclosure. Minor gripes with the case are;

a) The Front Panel is harder to remove than I would have liked - it felt like I was going to break something but the front panel should not need to be removed more than once or twice.

b) There is no case speaker and the ASUS P6T SE does not have the LED that some motherboards have to show posting errors. This was not a problem for me since it posted okay, but it could be a pain for some people.

c) The extractor Fan from the case has too short a power cord to attach to any of the motherboard fan controls. It does have an extension available to connect to an IDE power lead but to keep a clean cable layout I had to string this up through the back of the motherboard and I used a cable tie to keep the fan cord tidy on the front side.

d) There is a fan on the main access sidepanel and, again the power cord is too short to easily connect it to the motherboard. In this case, I was able to do it without using the extension, but it was very fiddly.

e) The manual is pretty basic, although sufficient.

f) The motherboard only just fits in the available space because the cable routing is right next to it... to the extent that the cable holders actually hold the motherboard in place without needing screws ! I just bent them away from the motherboard and the motherboard fitted in.

2. The Xigmatek cooler seems to be fine, but remember to install it with the fan on the memory side of the CPU. Connecting the fan with the rubber grommets is an interesting experience, but does actually work as instructed as long as you use gently excessive force.

3. The memory installs in the sockets furthest away from the CPU. Although this is counter-intuitive, it makes a bit more space for the CPU cooler if only 3 sockets are populated.

4. The Asus P6T SE manual is very comprehensive, but not always particularly clear or structured accurately; It seems to suggest screwing the motherboard into the case before installing the CPU which may work for the stock cooler, but is impossible if you use an aftermarket cooler that requires a bracket on the back of the motherboard. It does have some useful extension connectors for the case indicator lights and the sound connectors although they are not essential. It does not appear to have a connector for attaching the front panel e-Sata port, but I am hoping that I can use a regular Sata connector without problems due to hot-swapping my external drive.

5. The Sapphire video card exactly fits in the space available. I actually put it in the middle PCI-E socket since I thought this would have better cooling if only one GPU is installed, but I may move it to the top one to make connecting the side-panel fan easier.

6. I did not bother with a wrist strap... I had my old computer connected to the power and regularly touched the metal side to keep myself grounded. If possible, do NOT do a build in a carpetted room ! (and keep the cat away)

Overall, it was an easy build although it took longer than I expected - mostly because I had not done this before and so needed to check the instructions to work out how things assembled etc.

More about : build posted load win

May 6, 2009 4:20:48 PM

Good to hear. I share your same gripes about the 690, although I absolutely love the case. Another thing I noticed with it was that when I added an extra exhaust fan to the top, part of the top panel was hitting it, not allowing it fully snap back on. I had to cut away some of the plastic on the underside of the top panel to allow the fan to fit properly. It took me about an hour to find where the mobo screws were located :p  and that front panel is ABSURDLY annoying. I finally managed to snap it back on after a pretty large amount of pressure was applied.

Also, post some pics!
!