rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137463/nvidia-dell

FOR A LONG TIME we have wondered when Nvidia's abject stupidity would have a price. The answer, at least at Dell, is now.

If you go over the Dell desktop lineup and look through the customization options, you will see that, with a few minor exceptions, there are no more Nvidia cards being offered in Dell systems. Whoopsie. I guess the $10M that Nvidia paid Dell wasn't enough to make amends.

The lone remaining desktop Dells with Nvidia graphics are in the high end XPS line and some All-In-One (AIW) models. The AIWs and laptops have a lot in common. They have longer design cycles, and Dell can't just swap out graphics parts when things go pear shaped with a particular supplier. What the systems were designed for years earlier is what they have to be shipped with, and what those models will stay with until they are replaced.

On the non-AIW desktop side, there isn't a single Nvidia card in a Dell machine that I could find other than in the XPS line. Gone, poof, almost overnight. The high-end gaming boxes are where Nvidia theoretically should shine. Its image hasn't been as tarnished among the fanboi set to the degree it has elsewhere.

That said, there are three lines of XPS machines, the 625, the 630, and the 730, each with four sub-models. The 625 line is entirely devoid of Nvidia cards, but Dell offers multiple ATI graphics card configurations, including several versions of CrossfireX. One of the four 630 models has no Nvidia graphics option, two of the remaining ones have more ATI choices than Nvidia options, and the fourth has two from each vendor.

On the top of the heap in the 730 models, where Nvidia has traditionally dominated, one 730 model has no Nvidia option at all while the others offer cards from both graphics vendors about equally. Nvidia is hanging on by its fingernails on the high end, likely because of gaming fanbois more than anything else.

This is nothing less than a sea change at Dell. Nvidia has basically been shown the door by Dell in a most unceremonious fashion. Nvidia either decided to stop buying market share, or Dell just got fed up with it, but don't preclude both.

From what we hear, Dell's laptops and AIWs aren't far behind either. The decisions at Dell and elsewhere are all starting to sound like a broken record. Look for other OEMs to follow suit shortly. The decisions for back to school models get made in the next four to six weeks, and after that point it is basically game over for the year.

Nvidia is looking at openly hostile OEM customers and trying to woo them without any DX11 parts. ATI will have DX11 parts in the pipeline very shortly, and it is being greeted with open arms. Payback is a bitch.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Charlie's mother and sister were raped and murdered by an 8800M while he watched. Then the GPU died and he had to get it replaced. That's "what I hear" anyway... As we know that is as good as a reference these days at the inq..

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Dell is clearly just wiping old stock... They change their options monthly. If it continues for a few months, they release something to teh press about not sellgin nvidia, etc. then we can talk about it.

As it stands it doesnt mean anything.. Nvidia lost a *** load of cash on this mobile casing failure crap, we all know that.. But no company is about to go ATI exclusive over it unless they like losing loads of market share... Who over at dell would give a rat's ass if nvidia chips fail.. They still get to sue nvidia over losses and don't lose a dime.. plus cutting out the nvidia fanboy market (and general 'I have so much money I want 3 285's' market) would be suicide...

And what is he talking about with the DX11 thing? Sure ATI will have them first, but I can't imagine there will be much delay between ATI and nvidia release of the next gen... That statement was pulled from so far up hi s ass it was behind his eyeballs.. The whole article is based on his subjective day at the dell site.. he has no sources, no reports, no real news of any kind.. It is one big ass rant.

I'd love to see all the nvidia being shitheaded idiots stuff bite them in the ass... but I'd also like to see a well writen article on it... (and have it actually be based on reality)

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Ya, he is a very bitter chap.. Usually his writeups resemble rants more than news.. but that seems the norm in the news these days.. wherever it is from.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Who over at dell would give a rat's ass if nvidia chips fail
your way off mate, if you think dell don't give a rats ass for there customers they wouldn't be in business for as long as they have been

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
They are in teh business of making money. Not pleasing everyone. If they lose cash due to nvidia's incompetence they sue them.. which they did.

They would not be so narrow minded to dismiss an entire chunck of their clients who WANT nvidia.. thus they will never take the option away. If nvidia continues to mess up the customers will figure it out and stop chosing it.. until they they would lose an incomrpehensible amount of money to cut off all nvida products.

They, like any company, care about customer satisfaction as far as it makes them money... They have taken a lot of time and care making sure their cutomers know that thier compuer broke using nvidia parts.. that it was these parts that were flawed, and most of the blame landed far away from teh retailers liek dell.. In the future these people may choose ati, some may chose not to go dell, but i think the blame is sqqarely in nvidia's lap.. Dell sure as hell isnt going to stop giving people (more than 50% of them infact) what they want and are willign to pay for..

Dell does nto lose any face offering an option.. until Dell loses face considerably due to sellign Nvidia parts, they will not stop, and have no reason to.

Bad customer satisfaction is goign to lose a compay money if it means they go to another competitor for thier computer.. as it is this situation is causing people to choose differend dell products. they lose nothing. They may very well offer more options with ATI because of it, but they won't buy any fewer Nvidia parts.. not many fewer at least.

Nvidia loses as they have to pay for each broken part.. plus all the damages.. Dell loses very little all told from it as msot people are aware that it is a problem with every company sellign particular Nvidia chips. Even if a few go to another laptop company.. Dell woudl lose much more cash if they stopped selling parts people wanted.. (I think a note that "this configuration is less reliable" would be a much ahrder kick in the balls to nvidia than if dell stopped selling them)

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
if i had a dell with an fcuked nvidia chipset and was told to download a bios update that made my fan spin louder and lowered my battery life, I for one would not buy of them again, but maybe i use my head and you dont, you just think nvidia good ATI bad.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Clearly Nvidia is losing from this whole thing.. But that article is terrible, biased, and contains no substantiated facts.

While I'm sure it woudl hurt Nvida a lot if Dell cut back on its products featuring them, goign to the product info page and counting the options proves nothing.. Now if he had compared a change in teh volume of parts ordered then we might ahve soemthing to talk about.. but it is a very bad write up.. That is my real beef.. I don't mean to defend nvidia or dell.. I'd never buy a dell, and have not bought nvidia in years.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Rangers. I have only bought ATI for eons.. I would never buy a dell.. But that article is ***.. you msut see that?

If dell is tellign people " F your warranty, make this change to stop gap the problem" that is an ENTIRELY different problem and has nothing to do with nvidia. That kind of thing will piss off customers, as it stands most customers are pissed with nvidia, NOT dell.. thus dell has no reason to stop sellgin nvidia parts so long as that is true.

If half of my customer basis wanted nvidia your damn sure I would continue to sell them... Until it made my company look bad offering it as an option I would make more money than otherwise..

If dell is tellign people to do the bios fix to ramp up the fan INSTEAD of warranty repair they have some serious problems comign their way.... I thought they were jsut recomending that in cases to avoid failure and using that fix is not required to be under warranty. But if they jsut replace broken parts, state teh issue is with the nvidia chipsets, offer alternative replacements in warrenty.. and sue nvidia for more cash when tehy have to do such.. they lose no customer satifaction worth mentioning.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
And where the hell did I defend nvidia, and claim ati was bad??

BEcause charlie can't write an article to find his way out of hsi own garage in the morning is not a slight against you or ati.. But come on.. that article has no facts, has no real info, and is akin to a 12 year old gripign about how his parents won't let him stay up to watch south park... I have great issue with the author of teh article.. not his stement that nvidia is bad... I wouldnt be surprised if Dell did cut back becaus of this.. But I want to see some numbers on the order of GPU's Dell makes not some unsubstantiated research he did by counting options in a drop down menue... The change in options could be as easlily due to a lack of stock of nvidia, or a boon in ATI stock.. and probalby have nothing to due with seethign hatred to a company.

jennyh

Splendid

Well to be fair, intel and moneysoft do hate nvidia somewhat.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I mean the facts don't mean anything... There are a million reasons they would rearrange their options.. only one is to tell nvidia to F off... To infer that from nothing but that one observation is unscientific at best, retarded at worst.. A press release from Dell. Numbers that they cut back Nvidia gpu orders.. those are useful facts.. What he points out in the article is grasping at straws of air..